SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:09 AM
PhoenixFlyer
South Florida
Joined Dec 2006
225 Posts
Discussion
Servo Arms

I have never used these type arms, any comments appreciated. Just sport flying, 26% Yak, 30cc power. No 3D, etc. I have used metal arms with success, these came with the kits.

Does anyone use blue loc-tite on the servo arm screws ?

Thanks,

Vince
Hobe Sound, FL
PhoenixFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PhoenixFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:28 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,548 Posts
can't say much about the arms, as I have never used them, but I have seen them used by others here!

as for loc-tite, if your talking bout the screw that holds on the servo arm( the metal one in the middle) than yes def. use some blue on it!

the one thing I have noticed is servos take a serious rattling with a gas engine!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
687 Posts
Have not used these arms but have seen them used with much success. As for the blue loc-tie? I would not use on the screw that holds the arm to the servo. If you need to remove it you most likly will strip the philips head screw out tyring to get it loosened up. If you feel the need for loc-tite I would replace the screw with a allen head screw and then you would have a safety factor when trying to get it back off. Now for the screws holding the arm to the servo wheel? I would use a drop of thick or medium CA. This will cold weld those screws to the wheel and you probably wont have to ever worry about taking them back off. Hope this helps
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:28 PM
PhoenixFlyer
South Florida
Joined Dec 2006
225 Posts
Thanks for Info

Whiskey & Strick. Thanks for the info, got the same advice from a 50cc pilot, just about verbatim what you guys told me here.

Strick, I used to live in Fuquay Varina. Nice folks there, my company sent me down to Wilmington, got hit with 5 hurricanes in a 5 year time. My wife and I both retired there. We have family down here, wasn't for that, I would go up to Hampstead, NC, buy a place on the ICW. Can't get my wife to budge out of FL right now.

McMaster-Carr sells 100 of the allen head metric screws for the JR servo arms, $6.95. Barracuda-Hocky from RCU gave me that address.

Vince
PhoenixFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PhoenixFlyer
Last edited by PhoenixFlyer; Dec 04, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:56 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,505 Posts
I have used those arms before. But mine came with a small electric Extreme Flight Edge. I believe they are to keep wight down at the same time extending the servo arm specifically to the models specs needed to get maximum throw. On my 48" Edge. I had almost 90 degree travel on the ELE. Yes. Put a small drop of lock tight on the screws going from arm to arm. But I just used CA.
Dale 813 is online now Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Apr 2005
110 Posts
On a plane that I put a considerable amount of money and time into, I use metal arms, (cost more) just to have a little more assurance that it is not going to come loose or brake. I use allen head bolts and a small drop of blue loc-tite on the threads. I've used the fiberglass arms on electric planes (less vibration).
PS Check your bolts/screws occasionally to make sure they aren't coming loose.
rica1 is offline Find More Posts by rica1
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:01 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,482 Posts
Actually, hex bolts with star washers and no locktite are what I prefer.

As for the G10 arms, while not my personal preference, they work just dandy.

We have some folks using these alloy arms with no issues as well

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Last edited by barracudahockey; Dec 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM.