HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:03 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
Edge540 Repaired and ready for FPV Air Racing!!

After an 8 month 'rest', sitting in a corner broken from its last crash, my Edge540 is ready to fly once again! This time it returns with FPV fitted!

I have been making up 'pylons' for some "Red Bull Air Racing", and the Edge540 is perfectly suited for that!
I am still using the 3S configuration, but with either 8x4 or 8x6 APC props. Either 3S 1600 mAH 30C, or 3S 1600 & 1800 mAH 20C. I can also run 4S, and the FPV setup can use up to a 4S supply also.

I still have a bit to finish on it, but will hopefully test fly it this coming weekend....

PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2014, 06:46 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
VTX mounting

I finished the Edge a few weeks back, but didn't press on to the flight testing stage.

I made a small balsa wood 'box' for the VTX, which is glued down into the top of the fuselage just after the cockpit area. All the wiring is my typical 'modded servo leads' to interconnect the VTX and Camera, and the tap off to a 3S balance plug for power.

The AUW is a bit much I think!!
I had been using 3S 1600mAH or 1800mAH batteries, which are a bit lighter than the recommended 4S 1300mAH, and to get the Power level back up I used a 8x6 prop. The larger diameter prop also clears the cowling a lot better so that the 'meat' of the prop is operating in clearer airflow than the stock prop does anyway.
But now it is marginal to balance it out with those batteries, to offset the FPV stuff which is all AFT of the CofG. With no extra weight added it is a BIT tail heavier....

It should be OK still I think, but the AUW it has means it will need to KEEP flying FAST all the time! This plane is excessively loaded (wing loading) in its stock 4S form, and even with the bit lighter 3S form, so now I am back to 4S AUW levels or a bit more.... and that means TIP STALLS, severe ones, if it flies too slow!!

I am now thinking that a 1000mm Edge540 or SBach342 etc is what is really needed for FPV Red Bull Air Racing! 800mm is just a bit too heavily wing loaded and that is going to cause some grief at times!! Which means CRASHES!

I will try to get this Edge540 out for testing in the near future, but seeing it seems it will be a bit of an issue (AUW and flight results) I have not been enthused to do the testing, since it was all completed and ready to fly almost two weeks ago!
It will fly... but how well? It will need to fly fast... and land fast too!

PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member