HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:20 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Finally got mine all setup with aeolian 2830 1500kv motors, afro 12 escs (latest FW), 5x3 2 blade CF props with FC set to horizon mode.

A few things I noticed, first flight there was no motor spin up until I got to almost half throttle. Then she lept off the ground like a home sick angel. She was very stable but I need to adjust the P settings to resolve a slight high speed oscillation.

However, the entire flight was within 1 or 2 clicks of the motor start position. Otherwise she was headed for the moon...

Thoughts?

Essentially everything is on stock settings, flying in X formation.
I can't figure out how to trigger the motors to spin up sooner and I am wondering if the KV on the motors is to high.?
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:22 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
Why would the Naze lock a Home position imeediately on powerup, when the 'programmer' would know a GPS doesn't have a reliable lock at that point in time anyway? Or rather, even if it did do it on powerup it would get some bogus co-ords I would expect, seeing the GPS will take at least a bit longer to reach a Lock state. There would/should be a way to "Reset Home after the GPS does get locks. OR they would code it not to even lock a Home position UNTIL the GPS first saw and reported enough GPS satellites - and then probably light up a LED to show it is all done and truly ready. (maybe they do that).

Hopefully there is some solid information around about how it all does truly work. (seeing I have a GPS for the Naze about to arrive!)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:23 PM
Quad fun for everyone!
United States, WI
Joined Oct 2013
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras View Post
Finally got mine all setup with aeolian 2830 1500kv motors, afro 12 escs (latest FW), 5x3 2 blade CF props with FC set to horizon mode.

A few things I noticed, first flight there was no motor spin up until I got to almost half throttle. Then she lept off the ground like a home sick angel. She was very stable but I need to adjust the P settings to resolve a slight high speed oscillation.

However, the entire flight was within 1 or 2 clicks of the motor start position. Otherwise she was headed for the moon...

Thoughts?

Essentially everything is on stock settings, flying in X formation.
I can't figure out how to trigger the motors to spin up sooner and I am wondering if the KV on the motors is to high.?
Set your subtrims on the radio until Baseflight reads 1500 for each channel.
RC2211 is offline Find More Posts by RC2211
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:24 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
Danagaras, doesn't that sound like you did not calibrate the ESC's?
Though your result seems pretty extreme even if they weren't calibrated that well.
But that would be the first thing I would think.

I am guessing it is a bigger quad, like 450mm region? (with the 2830's)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:25 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC2211 View Post
Set your subtrims on the radio until Baseflight reads 1500 for each channel.
For the throttle channel?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:25 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
For ALL channels from what I gather.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:28 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Danagaras, doesn't that sound like you did not calibrate the ESC's?
Though your result seems pretty extreme even if they weren't calibrated that well.
But that would be the first thing I would think.

I am guessing it is a bigger quad, like 450mm region? (with the 2830's)
They were calibrated through base flight. That was my initial thought also. I IFT have to calibrate them manually of the rx one at a time.

She is a small 250mm ish X frame. The idea was to carry some weight in camera gear. Initially I manner to use 750 kV motors with some 6inch 8 blade props but she would not lift off..
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:29 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
To calibrate ESC's, what I do is: (read all steps first, so you know what to do and how fast etc)

1) Connect PC/USB to Naze and run Baseflight (MW config might have the same things) - NO flight battery connected.

2) Go to motor Test, tick to enable that, and move the Master Throttle to max

3) Connect the flight battery and the ESC's will all go into programming mode (beeping pattern). Different ESC's will need different processes - though most are the same.

4) Move the Master Throttle back to zero, within one or two seconds of the ESC programming mode.

Done.....

To check things....
Run each motor up using the individual motor test sliders. Each should start to spin at much the same value.... 1075 typically??
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:30 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
For ALL channels from what I gather.
Ah, I understand. They were all setup at 1500 mid point pre-flight. The issue is not roll, pitch, or yaw its throttle range.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:32 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
2830 sounds like a lot of power potential (if propped to suit and battery to suit) for a 250mm! hehe
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:32 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
To calibrate ESC's, what I do is: (read all steps first, so you know what to do and how fast etc)

1) Connect PC/USB to Naze and run Baseflight (MW config might have the same things) - NO flight battery connected.

2) Go to motor Test, tick to enable that, and move the Master Throttle to max

3) Connect the flight battery and the ESC's will all go into programming mode (beeping pattern). Different ESC's will need different processes - though most are the same.

4) Move the Master Throttle back to zero, within one or two seconds of the ESC programming mode.

Done.....
Done already but I can always do it again as it won't hurt ( props off first)...

There is also a manual process using throttle settings in baseflight that I tried. Both have same result. Will try again and report back.

Thanx.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:51 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
Oh, you should also be able to test the motors via their sliders one by one, to see how they rev up over the range.
No props on of course!!
You should be able to hear if they are acting fairly right at least. Especially with your issue, that would be easy to hear when amiss like that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:54 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
And also.... rocketting off like mad would seem quite possible with that power capability you have! hehe
Just your throttle range seems way too narrow - plus that very late throttle spin up position... so something is amiss of course.

I guess if the Naze is truly ok (ESC calibrated etc), then maybe your TX is not sending the right smooth scale?
Check the channel output if you can.... and if somehow you got some expo, or a curve, on it etc.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:42 PM
New Nemesis Owner
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Jun 2014
333 Posts
I currently have a frSkry X4R-SBUS receiver. What do I need to get it to work with the NAZE CPPM? Also would the frSky http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-d4r-ii.html be a better choice?
OldManJ is online now Find More Posts by OldManJ
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:08 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
The D4R is VERY well suited to the job!

Without CPPM the X4R is not very well suited at all. To get enough channels you would need to get an SBUS to CPPM decoder, so you end up with more cost and more wiring stuff around, and another item to possibly fail.

I would buy a D4R specifically for it (which is what i did).
RCG Plus Member