SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which of the following should I do?
Buy it at $175. 1 10.00%
Make him a lower offer. 9 90.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Poll
Art Scholl Pitts Special

Hello, everyone:

I recently ran across this NIB Cox Pitts Special online with a listed price of $175 (he said that he is accepting offers). My questions for you:

Is it worth buying at this price?

Should I send him an offer?

What is it's value?

As always, thank you very much,
KP
kpriddle is online now Find More Posts by kpriddle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:42 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,246 Posts
depends on use..
a) to hoard... erm.. 'collect'; whatever someone is willing to pay to 'own' it., logic is clearly irrelevant in these valuations
unless one subscribes to the bigger fool theory.. (sell it on for even more)
b) to fly ; I'd pay $5 Max as I've seen one 'sorta' fly
c) as a donor for a product engine and or parts for one $10 / 15 , 'maybe' 20 ?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,283 Posts
$ 175 ... no way !
alcarafa is offline Find More Posts by alcarafa
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:20 PM
Tiny diesels.... I love 'em
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Aug 2011
224 Posts
Offer 100 it is fair for both of you.
nitroairplane is offline Find More Posts by nitroairplane
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:19 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,030 Posts
It is a collector item, so the value can really vary a lot and it is more in the eyes of the beholder rather than a true value. Don't buy it unless you really like it, there is very little to gain by trying to make an "investment" in these things, as I see it.
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,086 Posts
Hello KP;
The Scholl Pitts is hard to find in any condition. Not many were produced. The main issue regarding condition is once they are fueled up and run, the paint immediately begins to come off. Same problem with the Miss America P-51.

A new example in the box would be considered quite a find to any collector. Back when I was seriously collecting, er.. sorry, hoarding, I'd have jumped at it for that price. I say do it. You would likely double your $$ on eBay if that's part of the equation. Offer him $150, that would be very fair.

Hope this helps. My Scholl Pitts is nice, but not perfect. I can't remember what I paid, but it was more than $100.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:00 PM
North of the Golden Gate
Joined Sep 2004
285 Posts
Since you asked for opinions...

If I found this pristine example at a swap meet for $175, and wanted it for MY COLLECTION, I would be thrilled to have it.

If I were considering investing $175 in it for RESALE, I would probably pass on it, as I doubt that I could make enough to make it worthwhile for ME.

As such, I would consider $175 to be within the general range of a fair private party market value. If YOU like it, I'd suggest you buy it.

That being said though, I believe that it would bring CONSIDERABLY more than $175 in the right market.
I don't think you would loose any money when you went to sell it - IF you offered it in a competitive marketplace.

"Nothing has a fixed value, and the value of nothing stays fixed."
silvaire is offline Find More Posts by silvaire
Last edited by silvaire; Mar 20, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 07:16 PM
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
I finally bought this for $125. Can anyone tell me if these boxes had cellophane windows or if they were simply wrapped in a shrink wrap plastic?
Old May 26, 2012, 10:52 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,246 Posts
Celophane windows on the box??
Personally I'd be a wee bit more concerned with flying the thing.
Unless of course this was purchased to fund one's retirement
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old May 27, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,086 Posts
KP, box was entirely shrink wrap, no cellophane windows.

You found a nice deal! I have my Pitts models hanging together, flying formation. They can be displayed in an 'artsy' kind of way...

John
Old May 27, 2012, 07:21 PM
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Bare,

Sometimes, it's not even worth arguing over. We all have our own interests. With this one in particular, I will be stuck between selling and holding on to it. Nonetheless, this is a forum for many interests and you will run into many types.

P.S. I am a senior but don't think I'm retiring any time soon as I'm just heading off to college!

John,

Thank you very much for the help. I also think that I did okay with the deal (especially after getting everyone's help). I haven't found one other Art Scholl's Pitts in the box within four months of looking around (the auction site's "completed listings" shows no Pitts with nearly as much collector's value as this one).

Just out of curiosity, what sort of collection do you have?

KP
Last edited by kpriddle; May 27, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 07:52 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
789 Posts
$175 would be a fair price for one in 8 or better condition. You rarely see the Golden Anniversary Pitts go for less than $225. At $125 you go a deal. PS. None of the plastic planes fly as good as balsa built ups.
skylane42 is online now Find More Posts by skylane42
Old May 28, 2012, 02:22 PM
North of the Golden Gate
Joined Sep 2004
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane42 View Post
$175 would be a fair price for one in 8 or better condition. You rarely see the Golden Anniversary Pitts go for less than $225...
I think an NIB Art Scholl version Pitts is considerably rarer than a NIB Golden Anniversary Pitts.

The Art Scholl Pitts was one of the less common Pitts versions, and it was made many years before the Golden Anniversary Pitts.

Many of the Golden Anniversary Pitts' were originally purchased in quantity by collectors and kept NIB because of their "collector value".

The older Art Scholl Pitts' were usually bought to be flown as Cox intended them to be, and weren't considered by many to be a collectable at the time.

Desireability? Collectability? Value? Price? Those are questions that are answered by the marketplace.
silvaire is offline Find More Posts by silvaire
Last edited by silvaire; May 28, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,086 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what sort of collection do you have?

KP[/QUOTE]

KP, I'm mostly a model builder. But I'm also interested in these old Cox models, and consider myself a 'weekend' collector. I don't buy stuff anymore since I already have most of the models I really like. My models are displayed, which makes them great for fun conversation.

I know some really serious collectors, the guys that have every issue of each model... brand new... in the box... etc. etc. It's an obsession for some. For me it's just a lot of fun.

BTW, the anniversary Pitts was never intended to fly. Incorrect prop, finish isn't fuel proof, etc. The Art Scholl Pitts is significant in that it's the same airplane Art lost his life in while filming "Top Gun".

John
Old May 29, 2012, 06:40 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
I had a Cox Pitts, but it didn't have the Art Scholl color scheme. The whole plane was molded out of red plastic. The Pee Wee .020 later ended up in a rudder only powered glider. I may still have the engine somewhere, but the Pitts is long gone.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire