HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2010, 09:35 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Video
6mm profile f22 with lighting

Some led afterburners, blue intake, and red/green/strobe lighting on my depron f22.

The "afterburners" and blue intake leds are controlled from the AUX 1 switch on the TX and the red/green wingtips lights and nose strobe on the gear channel so I can do several combos.

Sorry for the extremely poor video quality.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2010, 05:49 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,124 Posts
Very nice! They certainly add dramatic effect to the plane.

The only suggestion I have is regarding the placement of the green & red LED's - wouldn't it make more sense to have them along the wing edges, or facing the lower surface, considering usual pilot/plane orientation during flight. As they are, seems you'd only see them when you're flying inverted.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Feb 08, 2010, 07:02 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Thanks, Fred. I put lights on the majority of my planes. True, having them point forward on the wingtips (depending on the directionality of the leds) might allow better visibility at altitude. This will not be a night flyer. I often fly at or below eye-level with these profile planes (I often fly off the bank of a low retention pond) so the top placement should not be a problem. They actually light up the top surface of the wing and vertical stabs. In this instance, they were easier to secure in the foam by going up thru the wing. For what it is worth, and while my raptor is certainly not scale, my scale resources (mainly Hyerscale.com) show them to be on top (although probably pointing forward). Check out the site below...a very good resource.

http://hyperscale.com/2007/galleries/f22a72dw_1.htm
Last edited by Bombay; Feb 08, 2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 11:02 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,124 Posts
OK, LED lens "spotlights" gave me pause.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:58 AM
Joined Dec 2008
9 Posts
awesome lights! where u get those?! ^^ and GREAT job on the mods, including the paintjob! i tink this is by far the best profile scratchbuild plane i seen!
AhLian is offline Find More Posts by AhLian
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:30 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments. The LEDs are strip leds from hobbyking. you can cut them up. I used approx 3 yellow cut sections for each "thrust tube" and about 3-4 blue sections for the intakes. The red/green/strobe lighting is a small kit also from hobbyking. I put the strip leds on an electronic switch...also from hobbyking. I guess you know where I do my rc shopping.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:26 PM
..`.><((((>.`.><((((>
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Nov 2008
323 Posts
very nice... do you have any flight vids?
Sl0flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sl0flyer
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:56 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sl0flyer View Post
very nice... do you have any flight vids?
No. But I have 2 night flyers, this lighted f22, and I am building a 60" night flyer wing with lights...so I really do need to get some video up. In the meantime, maybe I can get some "dusk" in-flight photos and a short vid from the movie function on the camera this weekend.