HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:16 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,720 Posts
Question
ICE Data Logger Questions

Recently flew with the ICE 75 lite and it works well. I especially like the data logging feature.

I have some questions:

(1) Is there an FAQ, or support website that includes discussions and questions and answers regarding ICE data logging?

(2) Is there a way to load previously saved logging data and veiwing it with the Castle Data Log software - without having the ESC hooked up?

Thanks,

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:38 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
Go to the start menu and there is a data viewer program.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:55 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
Recently flew with the ICE 75 lite and it works well. I especially like the data logging feature.

I have some questions:

(1) Is there an FAQ, or support website that includes discussions and questions and answers regarding ICE data logging?

(2) Is there a way to load previously saved logging data and veiwing it with the Castle Data Log software - without having the ESC hooked up?

Thanks,

Paul
Save the files while the Castle Link is hooked up. After saving I usually clear the Data on the ESC buffer. You can go to the start menu under programs>castle link>graph-viewer

This will allow you to view any of the files you have saved by loading the file into the graph viewer.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Nov 09, 2009, 10:22 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,720 Posts
Thanks RC Man and Clint. I tried it and it works fine.
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Nov 10, 2009, 02:33 PM
Joined Oct 2008
151 Posts
Two more question abot the data loging :

Two wired thing hapened to mee :

1.st : Why my ICE show 2,5 less Ampers than is real value ( I tested with the Certificatad Ampermeter, and also my charge say soo.

Please look the first picture and you will see the max peak is cca 11 Amps ( I fact is 25 A measured with CE Ameter )

And also the charging curve is 2,5 lover than shold bee ( graph says cca300 mAh and my charger says 750mAh.........

How comes ( maybe because I have shortened the wires )
HSC2 is offline Find More Posts by HSC2
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:37 AM
Joined Oct 2008
151 Posts
Nobodey ?

What about yours drain curve ? ( mAh ) and what your charge say then
( howmach mAh back to the batery, compared to this from dataloger ?)

I must for exsample 300mAh multiplicate with factor 2,6, to get corect curent value and charge value.

Question : Is there maybe some factor to set when I download the data ?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:02 PM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSC2 View Post
Two more question abot the data loging :

Two wired thing hapened to mee :

1.st : Why my ICE show 2,5 less Ampers than is real value ( I tested with the Certificatad Ampermeter, and also my charge say soo.

Please look the first picture and you will see the max peak is cca 11 Amps ( I fact is 25 A measured with CE Ameter )

And also the charging curve is 2,5 lover than shold bee ( graph says cca300 mAh and my charger says 750mAh.........

How comes ( maybe because I have shortened the wires )
Well, first of all, it looks from your graph like you are only running about 4 to 5 amps -- and the datalogger isn't going to be very accurate at the bottom of the scale. The A/D converter is only going to have a few counts that low, which is going to make aliasing an issue.

It should be pretty accurate at higher amperage.

That said, the ICE datalogger isn't a precision current meter. Don't expect to see 1% precision, that just isn't going to happen on a controller that costs $100.

On the battery discharge - - we just report how much charge is removed from the battery. The charger reports how much charge is added to the battery. There will always be a very large difference between the two, because the discharge on the battery is only around 80-85% efficient, and charge is only about 80-85% efficient. This means that 15-20% of the power taken from the battery is lost as heat in the battery BOTH during charge and during discharge.

Wire lengths don't enter into it -- the current measurements are taken on the circuit board of the ICE.
Patrick del Castillo is offline Find More Posts by Patrick del Castillo
Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:04 PM
Joined Oct 2008
151 Posts
Hello !

I ges I em runing cca 15 A of average load, not 5A like you say.

You can calculate 900 mah in 4mins...............that mean 15A average curent,
and my graph says 5 A, there is something wrong ( maybe Is because I pusing my heli real hard and is a lot of spikes in the flight and sampeling is only one per second).

- Otherwise controler runs quite fine, with governer mode I run the software 3,16

Is the re maybe some factor ( variable ) to corect in the softvare of ICE, and maybe I have wrong preset factor ?

Thanx Regards
Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:47 PM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
Ah, that is odd. There might be a calibration error on your controller.

Unfortunately, there's not any way right now for the customer to change the calibration. You could send it in for recalibration.

We have been talking about allowing customer calibration on the current -- might be available on a future software release.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:08 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick del Castillo View Post
Ah, that is odd. There might be a calibration error on your controller.

Unfortunately, there's not any way right now for the customer to change the calibration. You could send it in for recalibration.

We have been talking about allowing customer calibration on the current -- might be available on a future software release.
Do you calibrate each ESC or just use a standard cal for all?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 12, 2009, 01:08 AM
Joined Oct 2008
151 Posts
Hello !

Is not such a big thing, for now the controler works prety fine and I em quite happy with them.

But in future there will bi fine If you would alow customer to make calibration.
Or at least put in the computer software some variable ( like for exsample MGM Z speed controler, with the black box, I have one so I now)

Thanx,regards
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:15 PM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Do you calibrate each ESC or just use a standard cal for all?

Every ESC is individually calibrated during testing.