New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2015, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by ReidRoberts
United States, CO, Perry Park
Joined Apr 2006
395 Posts
Well, after some trouble shooting it turns out that my Neu 707 motor has an internal problem and I've shipped it back to their factory in San Diego for repairs. Annette at SoaringUSA, as always, was a great help and the Neu folks seem intent on making it right.

So I hand launched the Kappa with inop motor (the ESC/BEC was working fine) and it glided a LONG way. Very glad I was at our local flying field which is a sod farm because it just kept on going. Excited to get this thing beyond the hand launch mode.

Lenny mentioned that another Neu motor, the 1105 with the P29 gear box will fit in the same mount as the 707 (same gear box). So I ordered one of those since the nose weight I added equals the difference between the 707 and the 1105 almost exactly per the spec sheets: about 1.5 ozs in the nose. 45.6 ozs. overall for the model with the 1105 or the 707 plus 1.5 ozs. More power, obviously, and more drain.

The 1105 gets a 17x10 prop while the 707 will get a 16x10 (once I get it back).

Anybody else using the Neu 1105?

Thanks,
Reid
ReidRoberts is offline Find More Posts by ReidRoberts
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2015, 11:50 PM
Find More Posts by Lenny970
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,119 Posts
Hi Reid,

I'm sure Neumotors will make it right if there was a problem in the motor. In the meantime, the 1105 will let you get that model back in the air faster.
It will have more power than you need in such a light model, but you can always reduce the prop size until you find a reasonable power level.

Good luck,
Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Aug 09, 2015, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by Randy Reynolds
Joined Feb 2009
186 Posts
Hi Reid, I'm using the 1105 in my Supra with a 17/9 prop. It makes 350 plus watts with a NanoTech 1000mah battery. So far it has worked flawlessly and pulls up the 60 ounce Supra just right. We don't fly ALES, just TD at 150 meter launches and I'm there in probably 12-14 seconds.

Good luck with your new motor and your Kappa when you get it going.
Randy Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Randy Reynolds
Old Aug 23, 2015, 09:53 PM
Joined Apr 2006
395 Posts
Maiden flights this last Sat.

Man! This is a really good model; possibly great.

When I finished flying the breeze was up to about 10 knots and it penetrated fine. Very little reflex was needed to move upwind with a very flat glide.

The barn door flaps at 90 degrees stop it fine but it doesn't want to stop flying. A little energy management on final yielded some high point landings right off the bat. The big flaps require a lot of down mixing on the elevator, more than any model I've had.

The elevator requires full throws to be effective with no expo or dual rate. You need all you can get out of the throws....at least on my model.

I say on my model because my fuse may be a little different than earlier versions. I don't know but I'm using a heavier Neu 1105 motor and it balances fine with no weight in the tail yet the model still weighs just over 45 ozs as advertised with the Neu 707.

I got multiple climbs with the 1105 and a 1300 mah 3S LiPo. I was surprised by how many......and they were near vertical. I'm using a throttle vs a switch to modulate the power if I don't need the max climb.

Overall, this is an F5J machine of the highest order and I'm really looking forward to competing with it!

Reid
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by Lenny970
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,119 Posts
Congratulations Reid! Glad you finally got your Kappa airborne!

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by Airman74
E sailplane thermal hack
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,644 Posts
This is a very interesting model!
I was seriously considering getting one before I finally settled on my 3.5m electra2 V tail.
I'd guess it's super high aspect ratio wing ( 20:1) combined with a low drag airfoil is what gives it it's good penetration despite its low weight.
Is the airfoil very thin??
My E2 has a 7.5% thick airfoil,, noticeably thinner than the Maxas, Xplorers etc.
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Aug 24, 2015, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by Tuomo
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,524 Posts
Looking at Kappa wing made me think of Egida.

The other side of the coin that achieving super light wing loading is very difficult with this line of design. Even more so if wing is thin and not so oriented to high lift than in designs that come from F3J background.
Tuomo is online now Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Aug 24, 2015, 09:28 PM
Joined Apr 2006
395 Posts
I agree about the wing loading and its similarity in appearance to the Egida. But it looks to me like they have hit on the right mix of weight, airfoil and wing loading. I'm not sure of the numbers on the airfoil but it is thinner than my spread tow Supra Pro and out climbs it in light lift.
I've not competed with it yet and there are trade offs with everything.
Bottom Line: I wanted the very light weight in order to turn off the motor at the lowest possible altitude and get out when other models can't. As of now, this Kappa is delivering well on that goal.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 01:21 AM
Find More Posts by Tuomo
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,524 Posts
Planes coming from F3J background have thicker wings with lower A/R for structural reasons. This kind of design is more easy to build light and yet stiff enough for hard launches. Being a pure F5J plane Kappa does not have to meet these concerns. It is also smaller than most other current planes, especially in wing area, which makes it even more extreme (Egida has also low wing area, but it is 3.7m span).

About a month ago we had a rather windy Eurotour competition which I managed to win with Xplorer. The buy coming to second place was flying Kappa. His plane was empty, no ballast at all, while I was most of the time carrying about 500g of ballast. I think this speaks for the differences of these two planes. Kappa is a much faster design.

I think in wind Kappa was performing maybe better than my Xplorer. However, being a very small plane it's visibility was not great. That limited tactical choices somewhat. I also believe that Xplorer has better light and floating performance.
Tuomo is online now Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:18 PM
Joined Apr 2006
395 Posts
Interesting about the performance in the wind. Congratulations on the win!
There's no outfloating a 4M X2 or X3, 3J or 5J, imo.