SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2015, 02:05 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,451 Posts
Question
does anyone have photos of the 70's RTF FF HLG "Superglider"?

It was made in Washington State, pod & boom, molded foam elliptical polyhedral wing, nice flyer.

Anyone who can remember the exact name of the product, mfg. and/or can post photos will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2015, 02:48 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,451 Posts
It looked vaguely like this, but without motors, the pod was much smaller and instead of a vertical tail there was a small sub-fin under the stab, and I remember it as being all white foam
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:08 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,240 Posts
fyi

i have one and will take a couple of photos tomorrow afternoon and post it here.

js
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Yesterday, 12:43 AM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,092 Posts
I had one as a kid, it was truly a Super Glider! One of the highest performing gliding toys ever sold, it flew like a real competition HLG.

Steve
mlbco is online now Find More Posts by mlbco
Old Yesterday, 03:22 AM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,328 Posts
I had one too! It was a great flyer and I thought of it often but forgot the name. Thanks for the brain jolt.

Often wish I could find another or they would resume building them.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,451 Posts
Yeh, I could trim usual HLG rt. launch, left glide and consistently get about 1 min in absolutely dead air at dusk. Loved them! Sadly or beautifully all of mine evt. flew away and disappeared in thermals ....

Thanks for upcoming pics! [relevant to yaw & spiral stability in thread in Modeling Science Forum]

Lee

footnote: Megatech copied the general form [shown in above posted photo] and made a 2-motor toy RC version [which was further copied by other Chinese companies] and patented the first such toy RC plane a year before Spin Master patented their [badly flying: they had to THROW it to simulate flight in first commercials] version, not being aware of Megatech's patent. There were several companies then being threatened by Spin Master, so I had to research the patent dates, showing that Spin Master's was thus invalid [but could only be proven in expensive court case]. Anyway, the result was the expansion from expensive hobby to low-cost mass-mkt RC "toys". I later made up for that by helping Spin Master win a large lawsuit against Overbreak's infringement of my toy UFO invention that became the Vectron Ultralite/Wave
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,240 Posts
pictures

Please go to this web link, look at the very end of the blog and this is where i have posted seven "full" size SuperGlider pictures.

hopefully this is what your looking for.

best wishes, john swain

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1424983627

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1424983619
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Yesterday at 04:00 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,328 Posts
That's what I was thinking of!

Thanks.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,451 Posts
me too!

S U P E R !

thanks!

L
Old Today, 02:24 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,925 Posts
Lee, build a few catapult gliders. All the fun of watching them fly and losing them in thermals all over again. But without the pulled backs or sore (soar? ) shoulder muscles! ! ! !
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Today, 03:14 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,451 Posts
Anytime I want to get a sore shoulder, I have a thermal-proof FF ancient HLG to throw [OK, it's made of polypropylene] >

a "high-performance" b o o m e r a n g

(I throw it to keep up the old habits)