SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2015, 04:14 AM
Joined Feb 2015
11 Posts
Discussion
twin horse 9053 conversion to 2.4G

Hi Folks,

ok ok, I know this heli is pretty much toy grade and not worth spending much cash on, but I think I have a faulty Tx on one channel (I have lost rear rotor throttle)

I can get a 3ch 2.4G setup cheap enough to warrent it. But I've never worked on helis before (I'm monster truck geek)

So my question is, do I need to change the PCB that seems to control everything ?
I can see the aerial is soldered into it, so is it a combined ESC/Rx ?

Thanks for any help dudes
barnetbasher is offline Find More Posts by barnetbasher
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2015, 04:37 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,380 Posts
hello
yep, the pcb is a combo, containing the rx, coaxial mixer & gyro and the esc's for the two main motors and the tail motor.
The no throttle on tail issue could be either a blown mosfet on the pcb, a faulty tail motor or the least likely possibility of a problem in the tx.
What hardware did you have in mind for the conversion?
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Feb 22, 2015, 05:32 AM
Joined Feb 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono View Post
hello
yep, the pcb is a combo, containing the rx, coaxial mixer & gyro and the esc's for the two main motors and the tail motor.
The no throttle on tail issue could be either a blown mosfet on the pcb, a faulty tail motor or the least likely possibility of a problem in the tx.
What hardware did you have in mind for the conversion?

Thanks Mono, someone on here suggested this is a good buy for not much cash, http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wa...074870201208QV
Old Feb 22, 2015, 06:57 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,380 Posts
The 7E is okay but range limited as it comes, however you would find it a rather expensive and difficult project to use that with the 9053.
Walkera don't have (and never had) a 3ch rx/mixer/gyro/esc brick that you could use with that radio as a replacement board on the heli.
Alternatively, going separates, i.e. a separate rx, a coaxial mixer, a gyro, 2 brushed esc's for the mains, 1 brushed car esc (fwd/rev) for the tail, would cost a small fortune apart from being a difficult job.
The easiest route (and more cost effective) is to either replace the board with one from a similar 3ch 2.4ghz heli for which both the board and the tx are available as spares, but it still won't be cheap. You can usually get the whole rtf for similar to what it would cost for the board and tx.
Something to think about anyway.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 04:54 PM
Joined Feb 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
The 7E is okay but range limited as it comes, however you would find it a rather expensive and difficult project to use that with the 9053.
Walkera don't have (and never had) a 3ch rx/mixer/gyro/esc brick that you could use with that radio as a replacement board on the heli.
Alternatively, going separates, i.e. a separate rx, a coaxial mixer, a gyro, 2 brushed esc's for the mains, 1 brushed car esc (fwd/rev) for the tail, would cost a small fortune apart from being a difficult job.
The easiest route (and more cost effective) is to either replace the board with one from a similar 3ch 2.4ghz heli for which both the board and the tx are available as spares, but it still won't be cheap. You can usually get the whole rtf for similar to what it would cost for the board and tx.
Something to think about anyway.
Thanks bud, I think i'll mail the place I got it from and see if they can help. Makes sense to be sure which part is faulty

EDIT, just ordered a new PCB for just a few so will see if that sorts it
Last edited by barnetbasher; Feb 22, 2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 03:57 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,380 Posts
okey dokey, that may be the best solution for that particular heli.
Were you able to test the tail motor itself to make sure it's functional?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 03:49 PM
Joined Feb 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
okey dokey, that may be the best solution for that particular heli.
Were you able to test the tail motor itself to make sure it's functional?
Yes bro, I dobbed a battery on it and it spun freely in its housing