HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2014, 06:44 PM
United States, PA, New Tripoli
Joined Sep 2010
249 Posts
Build Log
Dynam Smoove 1.6m (63") DY8970 ARF Build

As mentioned in the new product announcement, I took the bait and bought one of the Smoove F3A 63"/1600mm pattern ships advertised on General Hobby's website.

The box arrived today after two weeks in reasonably good condition. The model was well packaged and looks to be very well constructed with only minor cover wrinkling. The wings are white and will require installation of the supplied stickers to make it look like the pictures in GH's ads.

I did not find any assembly instructions or other documents in the box. It looks pretty straightforward but I would prefer a manual and I have emailed GH about it awaiting their response. The landing gear is aluminum - was hoping for carbon fiber. The kit requires two elevator servos, two aileron servos, and one full size rudder servo. The servo mount openings are as follows:

Elevator: 34mm x 15mm (predrilled - 4 holes)
Aileron: 34mm x 21mm (predrilled - 4 holes)
Rudder: 40mm x 21mm (predrilled - 4 holes)

I am looking at Futaba, HiTec, JR,, Align, Hyperion, Spektrum and Savox servos similar to those in my 63" Osiris, and I am open to any recommendations you can offer based on fit and function. Update: After perusing the servo database, I have decided to go with JR DS3421 servos for the ailerons and elevators & a DS9411 for the rudder. They should all fit without mods and they will be a good investment for the future (let's hope).

The control services use wire pinned hinges, glued-in control horns, and ball links. The rudder has a nice thick concave trailing edge similar to other popular pattern planes.

For power, I am going to try and use a Hacker A50-12S V2 , a CC Phoenix IceLite 100A ESC powered by 5S 5000mAh packs and turning a PT 16x10 carbon fiber electric prop.

I am planning on using the furnished hardware unless I find something that is deemed too poor of quality for my tastes.

To begin this effort I recorded my very first unboxing video (be gentle ) and am I posting it here for your information.

Unboxing 63-Inch Smoove (12 min 40 sec)

I am not an expert builder nor a very fast builder (start and stop due to my flying job) so bear with me as I make my way through this project. I spent over 20 years as an all-around aircraft / avionics technician so I picked up some skills and knowledge along the way that transfer over to our hobby. This is the sixth ARF I have assembled so I post here to share the experience in hopes of helping someone else. I welcome your ideas and encouraging feedback. Enjoy!
aviatortom is online now Find More Posts by aviatortom
Last edited by aviatortom; Jan 07, 2015 at 07:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2014, 01:59 AM
Northern CA
Joined Feb 2005
113 Posts
Nice video, thanks for taking the time to make and post it. I like that the plane uses separate elevator servos, most in this size have just a single servo.
Large decals can be a pain, but it's nice to have the option of not using them and coming up with your own scheme if desired. Good looking plane, good luck with the build and flying... looking forward to your flights!
JWink is online now Find More Posts by JWink
Old Dec 05, 2014, 12:47 AM
Joined Sep 2010
249 Posts
I spent an hour or two tonight getting the wrinkles out of the fuselage covering. The fuselage is mostly sheeted, and boy did the covering bubble up when I put some heat to it! I had to go oh so slow with my iron cranked way up to get all the bubbles/wrinkles out but they did come out and now it's pretty Smoove ;-) I don't know what the blue is (paint or covering) but I recommend going with low or no heat on it because I messed up about a 1/2" length the aft edge of one of the lower blue stripes with a very short application of heat. I'll work on the wings tomorrow maybe and see how that goes.

I also opened up the lower fuse cooling vent cut-outs and the lower firewall knock outs to establish its identify as an electric airplane. The lower fuse cooling hole cutout removal was almost a surgical procedure to extract the cutout while preserving the covering so it could be reapplied to the edges of the vent holes for a cleaner look than just hacking them out. They turned out "ok."

General Hobby tells me there is a PDF version of the assembly manual/instructions and they wil send it to me soon. I'll post it here when they do.
Old Dec 05, 2014, 10:07 AM
Joined Sep 2010
249 Posts
Tail feather servos

In addition to the full size rudder servo mount and mini elevator servo mount discussed in my unboxing video, I discovered two additional servo mounts on the aft left side of the fuselage. They are tandemly arranged. My guess is they are there using a direct link connect to the elevator vs dual internal servos or to the rudder in leu of the pull pull. Any thought on this?
Old Dec 05, 2014, 04:05 PM
Joined Jul 2010
417 Posts
Great!
It looks like the Wind Sebart..
hot wings is online now Find More Posts by hot wings
Old Dec 07, 2014, 01:04 AM
Joined Sep 2010
249 Posts
Worked on smoothing out the wings and tail feathers today and it didn't take long. The left wing was virtually wrinkle free.

The JR DS4321 servos fit in the HS like a glove after I sanded about 1/2mm from either end of the opening. The screw holes line up perfectly too.

The concave rudder is very similar to the rudder on a Wind S 50E.

I found another clue too -- the decal sheets are labeled Dynam DY8969 Smoove, hmmm. I looked on the Dynam website but could find no info about this plane -- I emailed Dynam hoping they can provide an assembly manual because General Hobby has yet to come through.
Last edited by aviatortom; Dec 07, 2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 07:59 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
3,011 Posts
This looks a bit like a Sebart and a bit like a Hobbyking Airoso.

Lately there have been a few low cost pattern style planes brought to market that are very similar to existing (or discontinued) name brand designs

Hobbyking Ionos: BJCraft Monolog
Hobbyking Mellizo: Sebart Miss Wind
Hobbyking Airoso: Sebart Wind
General Hobbies Smoove: part Sebart Wind, part Hobbyking Airoso

Perhaps these designs have just been copied or perhaps the factory that used to make them just rebrands them as the original sales wind down?
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Dec 07, 2014, 10:17 AM
Joined Sep 2010
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post

Lately there have been a few low cost pattern style planes brought to market that are very similar to existing (or discontinued) name brand designs

Perhaps these designs have just been copied or perhaps the factory that used to make them just rebrands them as the original sales wind down?
Good question - I know that the more time I spend with this kit the more impressed I am with it and all the more motivated to finish it and see how it flies.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 10:37 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
3,011 Posts
I like your custom cut foam fuselage cradle; hadn't seen that before, great idea.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 02:01 PM
Joined Sep 2010
249 Posts
Quote:
I like your custom cut foam fuselage cradle; hadn't seen that before, great idea.
Thanks - it's made from scraps held together with FoamTac glue. Use a 6" contour gauge from Harbor Freight to get the approx shape of the fuse, lay it out, stick it together, and voila!
Old Dec 09, 2014, 03:40 AM
italy
Joined Sep 2007
50 Posts
Quote:

I've owned bith sebart wind and HK airoso, they are very different planes.
santuz is offline Find More Posts by santuz
Old Dec 09, 2014, 10:10 AM
Joined Sep 2010
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by santuz View Post
I've owned bith sebart wind and HK airoso, they are very different planes.
I have been researching both aircraft - the Wind and the Airoso and I agree, they are quite different and so far, if anything, the Smoove is constructed more like the Sebart wind.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 11:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
249 Posts
Help

See pix below - I still do not have instructions so I am going to post some hardware pix here hoping someone can give me some pointers. In the kit there are four identical carbon fiber control horns that are notched on one end to accept a small locking tab with the slot offset from center so it looks like the tab will be centered over the control horn when slid into the appropriate set of notches on the horn.

There are also four identical carbon fiber servo arms that are drilled I am guessing so they attach to the round servo wheels supplied with the servos. There is a rudder arm drilled the same way.

The rudder control horn looks pretty self explanatory.

Couple of questions:

1) What's the best glue for installing the horns and locking tabs? I was thinking gorilla glue or 30 minute Z-Poxy.
2) Does the locking tab slide all the way in one direction or should it be positioned to catch a little of both the fore and aft notch?
3) What's best method for attaching arms to servo wheels? It looks like there are 14 ea 2mm screws and nuts - 6 for the ball links and 8 more that would provide 2 for each servo. Are the arms screwed and glued to the servo arms or just screwed?

I am not familiar with these style horns and servo arms so any advice you can offer is appreciated.

I will reach out again to General Hobby to assert my need for a dang manual!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 08:30 AM
United States, MI, Saginaw Charter Township
Joined Feb 2007
115 Posts
Looks like the same construction as other SebArt planes, but with different hardware. That's how the servo arms go but only if you want throw for 3D flying, otherwise normal arms work okay.
RCBRUSKI65 is offline Find More Posts by RCBRUSKI65
Old Dec 10, 2014, 08:41 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
3,011 Posts
I've seen those style control horns and tabs used before on smaller foam type planes
The horn goes thru the control surface and the flat 'plate' goes on the opposite side to capture the horn and provide a larger surface to help prevent tearout
If you decide to use them, sand the surfaces lightly and clean with alcohol prior to installing with glue
I would go with 2 part adhesive since the gaps/slots may be too large for CA