SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:17 AM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,921 Posts
Build Log
Proctor Jenny: 20 plus year project

Well, I received this kit on Father's day of 1986 and I am finally in the last stages.

The rigging and final assembly process looks daunting with the miles of cable and dozens of turnbuckles.

The airframe including all four wing panels are now covered and it is time to install servos and do the final assembly.

The cockpits include working sticks, pedals and throttle levers, map pocket with map, gauges and compass. Even the seats and seat belts buckle.

I am glad I waited so long because in the meantime batteries and electric motors progressed to the point where it is going to be easy to pick an efficient power system. It was originally built for a .90 4 stroke. Now I don't have to look forward to all the castor oil cleanup.

It seems really light. with the motor and battery it seems like it should be under 8 lbs. and the specifications say 11.5. I would be curious if anyone else out there built this with an electric system and how much it weigh all up ready to fly.

payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:28 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,652 Posts
My goodness.... she is fine!
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:41 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57 View Post
Well, I have to say the Proctor kit comes with an exceptional level of detail to begin with but it has been very enjoyable to build. The original kit was expensive because it comes with gobs of parts like real working turnbuckles and NO balsa. It is all spruce, bamboo and ply.

I could never afford this kit as it is now around $650 without the wheels or any electronics etc.

Anyway for years I built it as if it were going to be suspended from the ceiling but alas she was meant to fly and that is the plan now. Hopefully this Winter it will be completed. It is dark, windy and rainy here so it is time for a build project.

Thanks,

Dave
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:01 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,921 Posts
I finished the prop it is a 17X8 and I received the motor and battery this week as well. The battery is a 4S 5000mah and the motor is a .60 500kv that is supposed to produce 136 ounces of thrust with a 17x8. Seems like this combination should lift the plane just fine even if it is 11 lbs AUW.

Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:56 AM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57 View Post
Yes she is indeed. I see why the progress on the DeHavilland Express has slowed a bit. This is really beautiful.

Robert
Robert R is online now Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:40 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert R View Post
Yes she is indeed. I see why the progress on the DeHavilland Express has slowed a bit. This is really beautiful.

Robert
Robert,

I decided I needed to get with it on several projects. The Jenny has been on the workbench a long time. I was up at Marymoor park in Redmond to meet Ethan and fly DC-6's in formation and there was a guy named John with a Proctor Jenny. It was really inspiring.

Dave
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,445 Posts
With a highly valued model like this, I would use only the best RC gear I can get with emphasis on adequate and reliable power to the receiver and servos. ( maybe a flight battery pack instead of relying on a built-in or add-on switch-mode BEC)
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:18 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
With a highly valued model like this, I would use only the best RC gear I can get with emphasis on adequate and reliable power to the receiver and servos. ( maybe a flight battery pack instead of relying on a built-in or add-on switch-mode BEC)
I agree, this one will have a 10 amp Castle stand alone BEC or it's own flight pack (have not decided for sure yet). Also, the receiver will be a Spektrum 7 channel with satelite.

I am still a little nervous flying even with all precautions such as dual servos for elevator and all. However, these models are designed to fly so I will fly it eventually.

Dave
Old Jun 06, 2013, 02:00 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
15,103 Posts
Beautiful bird! Any update? How did she fly???
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2013, 07:04 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,921 Posts
My work has been so demanding it has delayed any progress. I just returned from a long trip to Asia. I had hoped to have it ready for this flying season but not yet.

Dave
Old Jun 08, 2013, 10:55 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
15,103 Posts
Dont be let down; she will be ready for finishing when you get the time.
This is not a project to rush, and admittedly there are other priorities than RC.

Keep up the excellent work and I look forward to seeing it take to the sky!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:55 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,921 Posts
Back on the project for this Winter. Today I ordered some standard size Futaba servos. I will use one for each elevator, one for the rudder and one for each aileron. The trick is to set up the aileron servos since both cables connect to the same place on the stick (see previous photo).

Also, I am off to get some enamel paints to finish the wing markings because the next step is rigging the upper wings and then rigging the two wings together.

Dave
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:13 PM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
Dave - Use a little HS-55 or other micro servo on the stick, and use the full sized ones for the ailerons - that way the stick can be "mixed" with the aileron channel and you won't have to worry about differential.
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2013, 02:31 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
15,103 Posts
This is one of the most interesting builds I have come across and always get excited when I see a new post. Keep it up Dave, this is one special project!

I must ask, do you have any more photos? She is beautiful; I look forward to seeing her all together
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:58 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
This is one of the most interesting builds I have come across and always get excited when I see a new post. Keep it up Dave, this is one special project!

I must ask, do you have any more photos? She is beautiful; I look forward to seeing her all together
My goal is to complete this one before Winter is over and test fly her. That way I can practice all next season for the USSMA scale masters. I have never entered an RC contest in all my 35 years of building and flying. One of my goals was last year to attend as many fly-ins as possible and participate as much as possible. So last year I flew my large DC-6 and B-17. This year I actually want to compete even though my entry will be as a novice.

Spent my lunch break masking. I am just getting ready to airbrush in the white part of the roundel markings. Picked up some Testors Model Master paint. The red and white are easy but the blue has to be custom matched.