SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2015, 06:18 AM
Germany
Joined May 2011
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benfly80 View Post
Not i, have set the fuse it was in the file or whatever, but not my fingers. I will put a 3Mhz oscillator to XTAL1 and try to get the esc back operating.
Did you try to use option "-B 8" with AVRDude?
4712 is online now Find More Posts by 4712
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2015, 06:43 AM
Joined Feb 2015
7 Posts
No, i didnt try. I think the lfuse 0x46 means ext. Osc. with 0,9 - 3MHz?! But i can try the B- option.
benfly80 is offline Find More Posts by benfly80
Old Feb 16, 2015, 07:04 AM
Germany
Joined May 2011
592 Posts
Quote:
No, i didnt try. I think the lfuse 0x46 means ext. Osc. with 0,9 - 3MHz?! But i can try the B- option.
Yes, but in your post it reads:

Quote:
Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e9307
avrdude.exe: erasing chip
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: reading input file "46"
avrdude.exe: writing lfuse (1 bytes):
What was the command line?
4712 is online now Find More Posts by 4712
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:12 PM
Joined Feb 2015
7 Posts
Sorry i deleted the log...
Old Feb 16, 2015, 01:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4712 View Post
Did you try to use option "-B 8" with AVRDude?

The message in the original log that did seem to write the bad LFUSE value:

Code:
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
says that the USBASP in use does not support the -B command.

Most USBAPSs sold on eBay have back level firmware on them.

Owen
OwenD is offline Find More Posts by OwenD
Old Feb 16, 2015, 03:03 PM
Joined Feb 2015
7 Posts
That the ESC after flashing is not reachable, indicates that the fuses are wrong, or!? If i check the lfuse at "Fuse Calculator", 0x46 expected an Ext. RC Osc...

Other lfuses of my ESC are 2E
Old Feb 16, 2015, 04:57 PM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
899 Posts
Quote:
That the ESC after flashing is not reachable, indicates that the fuses are wrong, or!? If i check the lfuse at "Fuse Calculator", 0x46 expected an Ext. RC Osc...

Other lfuses of my ESC are 2E
Simple thing is that these MCU require clock for ISP programming. If you have set the fuses to such that the clock is not running, you will not be able to ISP program them.

Usually, if you supply an external clock signal to XTAL1 you can get ISP going and ALL you want to do is to set the fuses so the circuit's own clock runs. Then disconnect the external clock and proceed carefully.

I have said many times, I don't know why you programmed 0x46... and though you have told me it wasn't your fault... you might do it again unless you sort out what has happened.

Owen
Old Feb 17, 2015, 02:24 AM
Joined Feb 2015
7 Posts
Yes, i will supply a oscillator to XTAL1. I have found an old 12MHz oscillator, will it work or must it match the value of the lfuse. (0.9 - 3.0 MHz)
Old Feb 17, 2015, 02:27 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,594 Posts
46 = 0x2E

The output of avrdude is not in hex in the log. It must be a problem due to the interrupted session before.

Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Feb 17, 2015, 03:06 AM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
899 Posts
Quote:
Yes, i will supply a oscillator to XTAL1. I have found an old 12MHz oscillator, will it work or must it match the value of the lfuse. (0.9 - 3.0 MHz)
So here is where we get to specific meanings of words.

RC hobbyists misuse a bunch of words and it can be confusing.

I said to connect an external clock signal to XTAL1.

You have translated that to connect an oscillator.

Sadly, lots of RC experts call a quartz crystal or a ceramic resonator as would be connected to the XTALx pins an "external oscillator". They are not, but is is possible to obtain crystal oscillator modules (they have a crystal AND electronics in them and they do produce a clock signal).

I said to connect an external clock signal to XTAL1, and I didn't explain to you that it should work for most incorrect fuse settins, ie irrespective of the crystal freq band... although there is now doubt about whether you have written 0x46, or whether it just was a corrupted write due to bad connections and you have no idea what was written but that it doesn't respond to ISP anymore.

Be sure that the MCU is getting VCC, and if it is, follow my instructions to the letter, when I say external clock signal I mean exactly that... there is no clearer way to state it.

I won't tell you the options for getting such a clock signal, they have been explained many times in this thread and can be found with search... I even gave you the search term to try.

If it is powered, and if you supply external clock, and you properly connect a working ISP programmer, you may well be able to 'unbrick' the chip.

Owen
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
Joined Feb 2015
1 Posts
So I admittedly didn't read all 693 pages of this post, I did however search for info relating to my ESC's. They are supposedly HobbyPower 30A esc. They are wrapped in yellow shrink wrap and have a sticker that says HW30A. Other than that, I couldn't find much information, I see them called XXD and a variety of other things. Most pictures that I could find had green PCB's. Mine are red and have no pads to solder to in order to flash, so I soldered two wires to the chip for SCK and for MISO then I held the MOSI wire to the pin, I powered it with my arduino uno (Which I was using to program it) and RST goes to the pull up resistor right by it. Here is a picture of the pcb and the places I soldered/Held the wire to.

Hope this helps someone!
chambejp is offline Find More Posts by chambejp