HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2015, 03:58 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
813 Posts
Kayak, the plane in your link is a completely different airframe. The Airfield F-18 at Nitroplanes before was the FMS model, they changed it to a different supplier/brand and it is NOT the same plane, you can see the main landing gear is different. The new one is under powered and doesn't fly as good. For some reason they decided to keep the Airfield brand name which makes things more confusing...
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2015, 04:04 PM
Joined Jan 2015
4 Posts
Tengarang,
Thanks for the pointers. Yes, this is the 5100KV (V2) version. I'll do the 3/4 throttle thing to avoid too much torque during launch. My P47 does a little dip before gaining altitude too. The Pheonix simulator has helped me get over the fear.This thing really is light for its size. I've got a Rock Hobby F16 waiting in the hanger once I've mastered this F18.
Thanks again!!

Regards,
Marc
Marc on LI is offline Find More Posts by Marc on LI
Old Jan 06, 2015, 04:28 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc on LI View Post
Tengarang,
Thanks for the pointers. Yes, this is the 5100KV (V2) version. I'll do the 3/4 throttle thing to avoid too much torque during launch. My P47 does a little dip before gaining altitude too. The Pheonix simulator has helped me get over the fear.This thing really is light for its size. I've got a Rock Hobby F16 waiting in the hanger once I've mastered this F18.
Thanks again!!

Regards,
Marc
Good Luck Marc ill be saying some good prayers for your maiden flight Also the F-16 from Roc hobby is also a trophy flyer.... amazing how far they have come with these 64mm jets.!!!

Tsukai
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Jan 06, 2015, 05:58 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak83 View Post
I'm about ready to pick up this Jet as my first EDF jet unless somebody talks me out of it first for some reason. It's on sale for $89 at Nitroplanes right now. Not sure if that's the everyday price but it seems very affordable. I was going to get a Habu 2 but it's discontinued. And I've always loved the Blue Angels!

Planning on using a space Orange RX laying around my house somewhere and hopefully my Mad Dog 3S 1500 and 1600 Lipo's. They're EC3 connections. What type will I need for this jet? Can't seem to find it on the site. If it's not EC3 then I might get consider RTF.

ARF $89:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a251-f18-blue-arf.html

RFT $144:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a251-f18-blue-rtf-24g.html
Motion Rc has the airframe in this thread.

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-f18-grey...df-jet-v2-pnp/

I don't like the one the sell at nitro planes now simply because you load the battery from the bottom. The canopy doesn't come off unless you mod the airframe. I'd put a wanted ad up and see if someone has this airframe in kit form and cram a CS10 fan in it. Check my video on the previous page, easy underhand toss to launch, unlimited vertical and 105mph. Killer sound to.
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Jan 06, 2015, 09:31 PM
Joined Jan 2015
4 Posts
Thanks again, Tsukai.
Marc on LI is offline Find More Posts by Marc on LI
Old Jan 06, 2015, 09:42 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc on LI View Post
Thanks again, Tsukai.
You are very welcome

Aint nothin like helping a good fellow pilot pleasure is all mine
Old Jan 06, 2015, 10:40 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel101 View Post

This airframe flies great on 3S too though if kept light. I posted this before as well, we fly 5 of these blue angels in "formation", bone stock with GensAce 1550mah 3S and they move along with plenty for loops and stuff . They are awesome fun, check it out if you haven't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_trv-5bZN4
I just now saw this, it's hilarious. Reminds me of the dogfight scene at the end of TopGun, Haha.
Old Jan 06, 2015, 10:48 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,190 Posts
Those are not quite the same.

The NP F-18 appears to be an Art-Tech F-18. The MotionRC one is by FMS,

NP used to carry the FMS plane, but it was made of EPS and was designed for 3S. The MotionRC's version has been updated with an enlarged battery compartment for 4S batteries and is made of EPO.

MotionRC also has a 64mm Freewing F-18E, with more scale landing gear and full stabs, $99 kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpowellmeii View Post
Motion Rc has the airframe in this thread.

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-f18-grey...df-jet-v2-pnp/

I don't like the one the sell at nitro planes now simply because you load the battery from the bottom. The canopy doesn't come off unless you mod the airframe. I'd put a wanted ad up and see if someone has this airframe in kit form and cram a CS10 fan in it. Check my video on the previous page, easy underhand toss to launch, unlimited vertical and 105mph. Killer sound to.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jan 06, 2015, 10:59 PM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,467 Posts
All old airframes...

Best is to go with the newly released Freewing F-18 (64mm): http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-f-a...yal-maces-pnp/

EPO, full stab, bolt on wings.
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
Old Jan 06, 2015, 11:14 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Those are not quite the same.

The NP F-18 appears to be an Art-Tech F-18. The MotionRC one is by FMS,

NP used to carry the FMS plane, but it was made of EPS and was designed for 3S. The MotionRC's version has been updated with an enlarged battery compartment for 4S batteries and is made of EPO.

MotionRC also has a 64mm Freewing F-18E, with more scale landing gear and full stabs, $99 kit.
Good to know. A 5s battery will fit in the old NP FMS F-18, that's what I run in mine and I barely removed any foam. I do like the F-18C version better than the E. More scale of you're doing a Blue Angels scheme.
Old Jan 07, 2015, 12:07 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,956 Posts
The one from nitroplanes is not an art tech, its close to it which is misleading.

actually it is from Top-RC

here is the manufacturer for it

http://www.toprchobby.com/ShowProduc...D=16&ClassID=1

there is no spar
Old Jan 08, 2015, 01:37 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,190 Posts
Really? How many mAH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpowellmeii View Post
Good to know. A 5s battery will fit in the old NP FMS F-18, that's what I run in mine and I barely removed any foam. I do like the F-18C version better than the E. More scale of you're doing a Blue Angels scheme.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jan 08, 2015, 07:58 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Really? How many mAH?
Zippy Compact 25C 2700maH 5s.
Old Jan 09, 2015, 07:53 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
977 Posts
This is an ok jet for a first EDF. It's not quite as good as the original Airfield F-18 as it is a little bigger and I think heavier.

I wouldn't want to hand launch it if I could avoid it.

If you are landing on wheels remember to hold her in the ground effect until it is going slow enough that it won't fly again when it touches or else you will get the dreaded porpoise going.

A really great jet is the Meteor. It's more expensive but it has retracts. It flies really sweet. Its only vice is ground tracking. I think the mains should have been placed a little further aft so the nose wheel has more weight on it.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby