HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2014, 02:56 PM
Joined May 2012
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie123 View Post
Why not just KEEP in sight. The challenge is to find and work lift within your limits , not to just let it get sucked away. e123
That seems like a pretty nave comment. No one intends to lose sight of the plane. But stuff sometimes happens. Perhaps you can keep an eye on your plane when you have an ankle biter lunching on your leg. Or a cop demanding your attention. Or an out of control bicyclist about to do you in. Or you trip over a sprinkler head. Etc, etc.
hard line is offline Find More Posts by hard line
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2014, 04:04 PM
FastEddie123
United States, MN, Lake Elmo
Joined Nov 2013
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line View Post
That seems like a pretty nave comment. No one intends to lose sight of the plane. But stuff sometimes happens. Perhaps you can keep an eye on your plane when you have an ankle biter lunching on your leg. Or a cop demanding your attention. Or an out of control bicyclist about to do you in. Or you trip over a sprinkler head. Etc, etc.
Where the heck do you fly? Sounds like an out of control environment 2 me. I'd start there.
You do know that these things can seriously hurt someone if you're not in control of it!! & if you can't keep track of it.... Nave = I'd say..
If it's that bad you should at least have a spotter. or better yet not fly there . Do you have AMA and know the "rules"??
flying into a passing car strobe or not - bad bad bad..
e123
fasteddie123 is offline Find More Posts by fasteddie123
Last edited by fasteddie123; Oct 17, 2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:22 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,023 Posts
solutions

we must keep exchanging comments, suggestions, ideas, about any issue with polite, positive and if possible precise comments to the point, and leave any idea about what people should do or not to ourselves if we want to keep this forum clean.
don't pay attention to fellows that don't bring any suggestion, only want to tell us what to think or do. it's a waste of time and space.
and look at their blogs. that tells you a lot about them.
so, let's get back to ideas on strobe lights. technical stuff.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Oct 17, 2014, 09:57 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
394 Posts
How about gnats, bees, fire ants, wasps, horse flies, spiders, angry birds, lousy fliers (even with AMA), low flying aircraft, etc...

Don't be quick to judge someone just because they have an idea different from what you consider practical or normal. People may or may not belong to a club. His local club might be full of condescending, intolerant, unimaginative people as well. Luckily I belong and have belonged to several good clubs. That said I did belong to RC World in Orlando which was more like the club I describe above.
RobMason is online now Find More Posts by RobMason
Last edited by RobMason; Oct 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM. Reason: RC World is no more
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,066 Posts
I am looking forward to some reports from Phil about the lights. I wouldn't plan on using them in bright sunlight or for finding a downed plane, but simply for getting re-oriented on a plane that is flying far away. I figure three should cover it. Green on right, red on left, and white on the bottom.

Not being a competition pilot, my reason to fly gliders is to relax and enjoy. If a person could take his eyes off the plane for a few seconds and then easily find it again, that would add to the relaxation and enjoyment.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Today, 08:46 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,023 Posts
strob tests

with Fall in full swing, stormy weather is the usual way, so i was looking for dark, cloudy and windy weather. but for today it forecasted sunny and not much wind, so i decided to be there before dawn and try to see how it looks in the dark.
there was some light, but the sun still was not up and the sky was still dark, so i launched the rad and climbed as high as i could see what was it doing, then turned off the motor and on the strob. still with the plane at the east, it was only a shadow, and the strob light was very bright. it blinks twice, and even when the plane was showing its right side i could see the flash (mine is on the left side of the fuse). then climbed again, this time guided by the flashes, as i hardly could see the plane. so bright! so even in sunny days, as the wing casts a shadow, it is visible.
another thing: i noticed that if i turn off the strob and the transmitter before the receiver, even if the strob is off, it begins to flash. so if you loose your plane and turn off your transmitter, it begins to send signals automatically.
yes, i know, it may not satisfy every1 (especially if they don't try it).
but i think it is all that i need, and hopefully many of you guys too.
Old Today, 09:07 AM
New Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Bieldside
Joined Nov 2012
123 Posts
Thanks Phil for your efforts and report. This sounds like a good idea for me as well. I do have trouble at even a moderate distance so anything that helps me see where my Radian is at is appreciated.
TomNT is offline Find More Posts by TomNT
Old Today, 09:09 AM
For flying out loud!
United Kingdom, Maidstone
Joined Sep 2012
766 Posts
thanks for trying out my idea phil. i think i wil have to get a few strobes too then.
planemad man is offline Find More Posts by planemad man
Old Today, 11:34 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,023 Posts
great idea after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad man View Post
thanks for trying out my idea phil. i think i will have to get a few strobes too then.
well. thank you.
you brought the idea and it started the snowball effect. we all are aware where a full size plane is by their strobo before we can see it, but i didn't think that could be something for us that could be small, affordable and easy to install. on post 18645 you said:: I have been thinking about putting a high power strobe light on the plane so that if i do loose visual then I can hopefully regain visual easier, it would have to be bright for the daytime though
and then demo7 asked: Have you guys used strobon? They plug into your rx and don't heat up at all. I have them on my multi rotors
and then bwx: Is it one of these?
http://www.flytron.com/light-systems...obe-light.html
Last edited by phil alvirez; Today at 11:54 AM.
Old Today, 12:38 PM
Old Bold Pilot - Flying Blind
USA, MI, Rochester
Joined Nov 2008
741 Posts
I too am part of the snowball (ugh sounds like winter). Have two on order...

Dave F
>< *>
got-one is online now Find More Posts by got-one
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 02:24 PM
Whoait flies
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined Feb 2007
175 Posts
Snap
anewton is offline Find More Posts by anewton