Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:16 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,415 Posts
Idea
Hunh. I guess you can...

...have too much power in a plane.

I finally wore out the power system in my MM DuskStik after well over 300 or so flights, many of them on 3s lipo. It was a Simprop Acro 280bb motor attached to a noisy but reliable MPJet 5:1 gearbox spinning an APC 10x4.7 SF prop. The brushes finally wore out.

While I was pondering whether or not to simply replace the brushes, my flying buddy Tim (3dddflyer) drops a neat little purple b20-26s/4:1 on me and says to use it instead. Ok. Cool. I run a calc using the same 3s packs and prop and come up with around 8 amps draw. Yeah, that'll work I says so I solder the whole thing together and take it out front to try it out. It's a little nose heavy but no big deal. Throttle up and the poor little DS takes off like a doggone rocket. I'm sure Doug Binder got a sudden case of heartburn and had no idea why.

Now many of us would think this is a good thing as far as the speed is concerned but this is supposed to be the "conniseur's slowflyer" and it's ripping around like a thoroughly overpowered Mad Max or something and was actually not much fun so it's back to the garage. Took a little time to balance it perfectly at the spar, changed to a 2s pack, upped the prop one inch in diameter went back out front and ROG'd off again.
Yeah, baby. This is what this one was all about. Smooth quiet flight, plenty of thrust when needed but great fun to fly again.

Maybe it wasn't the power levels per se but how it was used. I didn't recalc the setup but the motor and pack were considerably cooler than the first flight so I'm sure the amp draw is down and the flight time came up to boot. Rebalancing to perfection prolly didn't hurt either but this little plane is fun to fly again.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2004, 02:37 PM
Mid-Michigan
Joined Aug 2002
2,178 Posts
Yeah, the full-size guys started to discover this back in the '30s. Claude Cessna got serious heartburn one year when somebody showed up at Cleveland with a plane he had built for 200 HP, but which had a 400+ HP engine grafted in. Sure enough, it started to shed parts in the air, with fatal results. Read Billy Mitchell's bio about some of the racers he flew. Not for nothing is his title "I Could Never Be So Lucky Again"!!!
uscra112 is offline Find More Posts by uscra112
Old Sep 24, 2004, 02:43 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Funny story!

Reminds me a bit of my Dads slowstick running a timed eps 400 g with 3s apogee 1570's and a 11x7 hd. This turns 5000 rpm and makes the slowstick perform decidedly un-slowstick like. About 2x as fast as stock and very good vertical, close to unlimited. He did have to reinforce the wing though.......................

Dean inMilwaukee
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Sep 24, 2004, 02:46 PM
Mid-Michigan
Joined Aug 2002
2,178 Posts
Good to know that Mark has some fun outside of moderatin'

Besides, you never know how much is enough until you've had too much.
uscra112 is offline Find More Posts by uscra112
Old Sep 24, 2004, 03:33 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,415 Posts
Yeah. Between slopin', the local park and SEFSD I gets penty of sticktime to keep up my "RC quals".

mw
Old Sep 24, 2004, 03:39 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
when the plane hits the ground so fast you never even have a chance to react, it's officially too overpowered... lol
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Old Sep 24, 2004, 04:51 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
..or when you find it takes ten minutes to come down from a 30 second burn...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 24, 2004, 07:10 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,368 Posts
Speaking of SEFSD, are you planning on coming down this weekend, Mark? I'll be there tomorrow morning bright and early.
Awakened is offline Find More Posts by Awakened
Old Sep 25, 2004, 04:02 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,415 Posts
Prolly Sunday, Mike. Honey-dos Saturday.

mw
Old Sep 25, 2004, 04:35 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,295 Posts
When you need a metal detector and shovel to retrieve the motor from its muddy grave...That's when you really know it's overpowered

Nice to have power in reserve tho'

Rich
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One
Old Sep 25, 2004, 06:40 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Don't know what it is about overpowering but almost everybody does it!!!
I even do it. I have a jeti 30/3 in a sailplane thats not even close to being a hotliner but it sure flies like one!!! And most of the wet power guys over power.
Example, Hangar 9 Twist, you can go up to like a .72 4 stroke. Theres guys using .91's and and one guy with a YS 120. Full speed, these will disintegrate the wings!!!
I guess everyone wants vertical at 1/2 throttle.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Sep 25, 2004, 09:08 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
The Duskstik is one of Dougs planes I don't have, but Iv'e seen several fly and not sure that it's a good canidate for overpowering; However, with your new setup if you feel the need all you have to do is change the pack to a 3s and drop the prop down in size and your ready to rip its wings off again.

In some cases overpowering can be fun. One of my Pico Tiger moths has a AXI 2208/34 in it and with a 3s pack it's power is hard to describe. That TM, at reduce thro (2-3 clicks) will fly just like the stock IPS TMs, but even at half thro it will go vertical as long as you want.
I did put a 1/8" CF tube across the underside of the bottom wing, but thats the only structural change to the plane and it's still going after many months of abuse.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH