SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 20, 2014, 07:49 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2004
310 Posts
I did the "clip". With the rudder and horizontal stab clipped, I removed a total of 3/4 oz from the tail, or about the weight of a mini servo. Given the long tail moment on this model, that's about the same as adding about 2 to 3 oz of ballast to the nose. Again, clipping the tail was an easy mod.
Barry Leger is offline Find More Posts by Barry Leger
Last edited by Barry Leger; Mar 20, 2014 at 07:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2014, 03:12 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2004
310 Posts
Some updated pics.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 07:02 AM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Leger View Post
Here are some pics. I'll probably add another cooling intake to the cowl chin.

Most Monologs don't have any cut outs in the cowl for cooling at all. True Turns are pretty, but in this size would have cost $40. Also, tests have shown a cooling hole at the front of the spinner is more effective than slots along the side.
Barry, you did a great job cutting the vents in the cowl. Can I ask how you did that?

I'd like to do the same but I my skills are such that I don't know how I could ever do it that neat with blade or rotary tool.

I think I will do the same thing with the smaller spinner and the whole in the nose.

-l2t aka Ken
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:37 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2004
310 Posts
Thanks! I was pleased with how it came out. I just did it by hand using a brand new No.11 X-acto blade in my hobby knife. First, I lightly scribed the outline of the opening, just enough to cut through the paint. This will keep it from chipping. Then I "drilled" a hole in the middle of the opening with the knife, and then slowly widened the hole until I reached the outline. Do it very slowly, just taking out one small sliver of fibreglass off at a time. Finally, I finished it up with a bit of sandpaper, working from the inside of the cowl only to avoid scratching the paint. Once you get going, it goes pretty quickly. I just had the TV on, and worked away at it. Next thing I knew, it was done.

The hole at the top is the most difficult, since that's where the fibreglass was thickest. It wasn't hard to do, just do it very slowly, and remove small pieces at a time.

The smaller spinner should work well.
Last edited by Barry Leger; Apr 21, 2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:37 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2004
310 Posts
Maiden! Finally! I must say this model flies beautifully.

I flew at our local club grass field. Winds were very low at about 10 kph. I did end up putting the stock wheels and wheel pants back on. But, after flying off grass, I will remove them again and just go back to simple, larger wheels only. It definitely was dragging the pants and tiny wheels through the grass, and needed a good amount of throttle to get it going. But once in the air - wow.

I am using the "40" size set up, on 5S, about 90 oz RTF. I have the cg right on the main spar. It needed just a few clicks of up elevator and right aileron to get it hands off straight and level at half throttle. I'm used to smaller airplanes, so visually, it appears to be moving slow to me in the air at altitude. But at half throttle, there is plenty of speed for basic IMAC maneuvers. Even with the cg at the spar, it still has that "locked in" feeling. And it will knife edge with ease. I noticed a slight pull to canopy on knife edge - but I won't mix it out until after I change out the wheels and continue the trimming. Inverted needed just slight down elevator - so the cg is already very close to my liking. With the large side area on the fuse, there is no noticeable tendency for the plane to lose altitude in a gentle turn - nice!

A couple of low passes along the runway showed me that at half throttle, this plane is moving much faster than it appears at altitude! The first couple of landings ended with a gentle bounce, since I was carrying too much speed. But, the carbon gear work great. I need to work on taking out more energy on final, and get used to what the plane looks like when flying slowly. The model has fairly low drag, and doesn't seem to slow down much on final approach. On touchdown, and after about 8 minutes of flying time, the battery was warm, and motor was barely above ambient.

At 90oz, it does fly slow, crisp maneuvers. Snaps are pretty! I have read somewhere that this plane needs to be flying fast to work properly, but at 90 oz, that's not the case. It's easily my best flying model after only 3 batteries run through it - once I get used to it's visual presence in the air, and continue to nail down the trim - it's going to be an awesome aerobat!

One other thing, I do have an Orange 3 axis gyro receiver in this plane - but it actually flies better with it turned off! It's completely unnecessary on this model - just something fun to play with.

Since half throttle gives a good pattern speed, I might consider propping it for just a bit more thrust (14x7)- but for now, I'll leave it as is until I run a few more battery packs through it. I like the half-throttle speed - but I could use a touch more thrust on up-lines. The throttle response also seemed to have a slight lag. Nothing worth complaining about. I should learn to fly more smoothly!

Summary - it's a great plane!
Last edited by Barry Leger; Jul 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:27 AM
Joined Jul 2010
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Leger View Post
A couple of low passes along the runway showed me that at half throttle, this plane is moving much faster than it appears at altitude! The first couple of landings ended with a gentle bounce, since I was carrying too much speed. But, the carbon gear work great. I need to work on taking out more energy on final, and get used to what the plane looks like when flying slowly. The model has fairly low drag, and doesn't seem to slow down much on final approach.
I'm just getting the feel of mine but I can concur with the paragraph above. All my landings have been waaaay too hot. " I need to work on taking out more energy on final" really sums it up. We have trees at either end of the runway so if you don't maintain altitude when turning on final you rest catching a tree top and ruining your day. So I come in about 80', drop low, and try to glide no throttle and still don't bleed off enough by the end of the runway.

I haven't weighed mine yet but it does have a heavier feel in the air then my 3D planes. I definitely want to keep a little bit of airspeed and throttle between moves.

I'm using 5S 5000mAH and full-sized servos (as I didn't want to modify the mounts). I have plenty left after seven minutes. I probably could have gone with 4000mAH.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:37 AM
Joined Jul 2010
853 Posts
In a conversation on landing speed in another thread on RCU several people suggested that the best way to deal with the landing speed issue is to program in 5* to 10* of spoilerons.

That would be trivial on my Tx so next time I'm at the feel I'll assign one of the switches to it and play with it at altitude for a while and see how it feels. Then maybe try it on landing if it feels okay.

-l2t
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:01 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
In a conversation on landing speed in another thread on RCU several people suggested that the best way to deal with the landing speed issue is to program in 5* to 10* of spoilerons.

That would be trivial on my Tx so next time I'm at the feel I'll assign one of the switches to it and play with it at altitude for a while and see how it feels. Then maybe try it on landing if it feels okay.

-l2t
Yup...my Futaba has a mix called "Airbrake". It has a default setting of 15* spoilerons (both ailerons up) and 2* down elevator, triggered by <23% throttle. It works so good that when landing I sometimes have to add throttle on the final.
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Jul 16, 2014, 09:13 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2004
310 Posts
Thanks guys. I set mine up for "airbrake"... I'll post the result next nice flying day.

Since I am using a 6 channel Orangex gyro receiver, I had to do some creative mixing, but I got it all worked out now!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:14 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2004
310 Posts
Only my second flying day with Monolog 70. No wind today at all. It can fly very slowly if you want it to. With throttle off, I was gliding around the field easily. It's a very smooth flyer. I've been pushing the cg back slowly and it could go back even a little further - I want to get my slight amount of up trim on the elevator gone.

I don't think the airbrake is really necessary after all, I just need to bleed the energy better. But all my mixes worked well. Hitting spoilerons at very low speed will cause the plane to drop suddenly, as expected. I'll continue to set this up with more flights.

This plane is very easy to fly with no bad tendencies and it simply goes where you point it - just what I was hoping for!

Oh yeah, and the larger tires with the wheel pants removed is a huge improvement in ground handling on grass!

Lastly, the Hobbyking redbrick ESC seemed to be acting weird past half throttle. After no luck with reprogramming, I switched it out for another one I had, which poofed immediately when I plugged it in! I then switched it out to a Hyperion Titan 80A Opto ESC with a HP-TICOOLBEC operating at 6v. Lots of top end power now! I figure the lack of thrust on uplines I was feeling has been solved. No more cheap ESCs for me.
Last edited by Barry Leger; Jul 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:28 AM
Joined Jul 2010
853 Posts
I set my monolog up on DX9 in flaperon mode and programmed 40% on a switch. Coming in over the trees, it does me it easier to land. I still need more practice on this plane at slow speed but I very slowly work my way down to avoid any mishaps.

Now here's the part that cracks me up. (Read no further if you are not a Dr. Who fan as it will make no sense.) The DX9 has voice and the word file I have loaded is a female voice with a British accent. Every time I hit the air brake switch it says "Spoilers" and sounds like River Song.

-l2t
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:33 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,546 Posts
IIRC, there have been a few discussions regarding the use of flaperons vs spoilerons.

One has a more pronounced tendency to produce washout style tip stalling than the other ....
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Jul 28, 2014, 04:03 PM
Joined Jul 2010
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
IIRC, there have been a few discussions regarding the use of flaperons vs spoilerons.

One has a more pronounced tendency to produce washout style tip stalling than the other ....
And which is which? I would assume flaperons have more of a tendency to tip stall. Yes?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:25 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
And which is which? I would assume flaperons have more of a tendency to tip stall. Yes?
yes
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc