SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:12 AM
Aerobatics!
United States, CA, Big Bear Lake
Joined Nov 2007
2,481 Posts
Discussion
Video: Up North with the 51" Light Fish

I went up to Big Sur with Swiss Peter for a couple days to get some flying in along the many coastal bluffs north of Santa Barbara. I love slope flying, there's nothing like spotting a cool looking cliff from the road and hiking out to it just to find out whether or not it even works, and then being rewarded with either smooth lift or the opportunity to take a walk down to the beach

up north (3 min 3 sec)
JGAF is offline Find More Posts by JGAF
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,932 Posts
Really nice.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:58 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,953 Posts
Really VERY nice !

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:10 AM
Semper Fidelis
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jul 2005
1,445 Posts
Sweet! Like the roll to invert catch.
Big Gas is offline Find More Posts by Big Gas
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:21 AM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Dec 2011
858 Posts
Outstanding!!

A frame by frame walkthrough from about 2:55 is a great education in building Ultralight for Ultrabatics. I've got a long way to go but Jitter's video really shortens the learning curve and for that I thank you.

Ken
Snewk is offline Find More Posts by Snewk
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:30 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Sweet rolling circle! Loved this video... I think it's one of the best ones out there showing what this kind of flying is about.... just pure freedom to have fun wherever. Stoked!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snewk View Post
A frame by frame walkthrough from about 2:55 is a great education in building
You can do that? How? I've always wanted to be able to go slo-mo or frame-by-frame in Vimeo or Youtube but didn't think it was possible.

Jim (videologically illiterate)
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT View Post
You can do that? How? I've always wanted to be able to go slo-mo or frame-by-frame in Vimeo or Youtube but didn't think it was possible.

Jim (videologically illiterate)

Jim, like yourself I am VI....... Try dragging the "duration running arrow thingy" at the bottom of the screen and popping "Pause"/"Play" to get somewhat of a frame-by-frame at around 3:00. You'll find some close frames showing the servo installs, control rods, aileron and rudder/elevator connections, a look at how he and Peter taper trailing edges and that the elevator has a small fixed center section which probably helps prevent flutter. Verrrry Neat Stuff!! I'm going back to look some more right now.

Ken

PS; also some good stuff from 0:07 to 0:15
Last edited by Snewk; Jul 28, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:56 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,676 Posts
Sweet vid.
More rolling circles please Justin!
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:57 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Try dragging the "duration running arrow thingy" at the bottom of the screen and popping "Pause"/"Play" to get somewhat of a frame-by-frame
Ahh, you're faking it.....I can do that

Also it allows one to steal some cool screen capture images.

Nice flying and video, Justin and Peter!
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:37 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,852 Posts
That was a perfect road trip video... beautiful locations and top notch flying.

Thanks Justin and Peter.

The ultra lights are opening up all sorts of new places to fly. Don't leave home without one.

Dawson
dawsonh is online now Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:02 PM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
Awesome vid, and nice cruisy song too... That little fish looks great!
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:36 AM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Wow...that is some sweet flying! I can see the influences of Swiss Peter, Dawson and Steve. Oh, to be so young and so talented. Nice video.

-P
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:25 AM
Aerobatics!
United States, CA, Big Bear Lake
Joined Nov 2007
2,481 Posts
Quote:
Jim, like yourself I am VI....... Try dragging the "duration running arrow thingy" at the bottom of the screen and popping "Pause"/"Play" to get somewhat of a frame-by-frame at around 3:00. You'll find some close frames showing the servo installs, control rods, aileron and rudder/elevator connections, a look at how he and Peter taper trailing edges and that the elevator has a small fixed center section which probably helps prevent flutter. Verrrry Neat Stuff!! I'm going back to look some more right now.

Ken

PS; also some good stuff from 0:07 to 0:15
Man I can just take a picture for you if you want haha

The 51 inch was put together in less than 2 days and used scrap materials, compromises were made and very old building techniques were used. Definitely doesn't take away from the fun factor though!
JGAF is offline Find More Posts by JGAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Dec 2011
858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitter View Post
Man I can just take a picture for you if you want haha

The 51 inch was put together in less than 2 days and used scrap materials, compromises were made and very old building techniques were used. Definitely doesn't take away from the fun factor though!
Jitter; The Speed & Scrap Factor just makes you and the plane and the flying that much more impressive!! Since the chance of getting to hang with you guys and learn from you in person ain't gonna' happen I have to glean what I can from the public venue, the stuff you share with all of us, and that's cool.

Toughest part for me is keeping things simple. With the minimalist slopes available here on the East Central Coast of Florida a design with a span from 36-48" works best. I'm hoping to eventually come up with a scratchbuild that will be as quick, clean and agile as yours'. Steve, Peter, Dawson, Paige, Michael and yourself as well as young Rhys keep me stoked on the possibilities.

Ken