HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
Originally joined: May 2012
United States, TX, Sherman
Joined Jul 2013
887 Posts
I really like the size, design, price and concept of the base Ares Gamma 370... But after reading through this Thread, researching on Youtube and talking to a few owners, I'm going to hold off investing in one due mostly to it's weak, low quality and apparent unreliability. I also dislike the battery connectors, although that can be worked around.
...quietguy... is offline Find More Posts by ...quietguy...
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
333 Posts
I'm not sure where you read about it being weak, low quality, or not reliable.
Weak:: I wouldn't say that
low quality: I think the only "weak" point is probably the brushed esc, people comment a lot about that. If you go Ares Pro, you get a different esc, and a brushless motor. Although I prefer the 3 channel wing over 4 channel but that's personal preference
low reliability: I'd say that would go hand in hand with the brushed esc. I haven't seen any other component go out on me, or indicate an impending problem. I now have 3 of them so that's experience with more than a single example

I also have a Super Cub S and I would not say that Ares is significantly "less good" than the SC. Here's a side by side comparison:
Flying; I prefer the Ares. SC has this unusual "tail wagging" thing in turns that I find annoying. It doesn't lead to crashes so it's a cosmetic thing
Build: I think there's aspects of the build that the SC seems better than the Ares, but I think that the design in practice works better than the SC; in particular the battery box, also the struts
Foam type: I think the foam is different; I prefer the Ares foam over the SC, but not by much. My horizontal stabilizer has distorted (it's now convex) and I think that is due to heat exposure. No such issues with Ares..
Design: SC is much closer to being scale and that's nice.
Reliability: I haven't seen any difference there, in practice
Power system: I'm somewhat surprised at how little difference there is in speed, flight performance of the Ares vs SC as Ares uses a 1000 2s battery, SC uses a 1300 3s battery. I've put the 1300 3s in my Ares Pro and it really zips along, much faster than the SC

Having said that, there is NO shortage of other good planes out there! Ares, and SC, are just two examples that I would put on a recommend list, but there are tons more. Unfortunately you'll probably not have the information you need to make a decision until you've owned and flown the plane for a year or so.... but to do that you have to get one and that involves commitment.
Joe Perrone is offline Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2014
77 Posts
The Gamma and Super Cub comparison is a good one. These were both on my shortlist for my first plane and I went with the Gamma. My Dad bought a Super Cub S which I have flown a few times.

Everything Joe said is correct. As far as quality, the Super Cub destroys the Gamma in almost every way but it is also much more expensive. The Ares is a much more bare bones experience. Go with the Pro version and you get the upgraded motor and esc which are very reliable unlike the brushed version.

The Super Cub is is a great starter plane and perfect for teaching yourself. The SAFE technology on it is worth the extra cost over the Gamma alone. The battery box however is a real pain in the rear end. The Gamma is a far better plane if you are looking to get into 4 channel flight and something a bit quicker.

Gamma advantages:
- Cheap
- Brushless Motor & ESC
- Aileron wing
- Roomy battery box

Gamma disadvantages:
- Brushed Motor & ESC are unreliable
- Cheap Tamiya battery plugs
- Fragile and ineffective landing gear

Super Cub advantages:
- Better build quality
- Scale looks
- Robust landing gear
- EC3 battery plug
- SAFE

Super Cub disadvantages:
- No aileron upgrade (3 channel only)
- No brushless upgrade
- Small battery bay
Hingo is online now Find More Posts by Hingo
Old Today, 06:42 AM
Joined Jul 2013
887 Posts
Thank you...

Thank you Joe & Hingo!

Well thought-out and written evaluations - appreciated.

And, sorry if my post sounded like just a "whine", wasn't my intent.

I watch both "2Brothers hobby" and "flitetest" regularly on Youtube. And "2Brothers" have featured both the 3 channel and Pro versions of the Ares Gamma products. Their 3 channel videos were what originally brought my attention to the Gamma 370.

I've only been back in this hobby for a bit more than 2 years, and during that time I've had 6 or 7 various models (including the Super Cub). My all-time favorite airplane was the Apprentice S... but transporting that large craft was a deterrent.

I like the setup of the Pro, but I would prefer something relaxing and slow to fly, similar to the SC which is why I was focused on the 3 channel version. I just recently ordered a new Spektrum DX6, which comes with a free rx (AR610). Joe was generous, kind enough to give me some great instructions on installation.

A dumb question fellas: Can I not just get the Pro and slap the non-Pro main wing on her? And is that a good or bad idea? Honestly, I'm just not sure what it would take to "convert" a 4 channel back to a 3.

Nonetheless, thank you both for taking the time to write such very good replies...

... Lennie
Old Today, 08:09 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
333 Posts
Yes, you can put the non-Pro (3 chl) wing on the Pro; or vice versa. There appears to be no difference between the two, except for the wing itself and for the brushed vs not brushed.

There would seem to be little difference between getting a Pro, and a 3 chl wing, or getting a non Pro, and buying a brushless upgrade. On the second path however, you have more options on exactly which motor and Esc you select.

I insert here a plug for one of my favorite suppliers, Headsup RC. Good stuff, good information on the site, and they take customer service orientation to an extreme (good) level.
I think the way to do this would be
1) Non Pro, RFR (not RTF)
2) Upgrade to AR400/DX6 (or equivalent Tactic)
3) Upgrade to non OEM motor/ESC

Not sure why but my non Pro with brushless, and stock prop can just loiter around very slow, which results in really long flight times

Regards
Joe Perrone is offline Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Today, 07:53 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,955 Posts
I would get the Pro and put the non aileron wing on it. Just remember to plug the rudder into the aileron port on the RX and you're good to go.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Today, 07:58 PM
Joined Jul 2013
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I would get the Pro and put the non aileron wing on it. Just remember to plug the rudder into the aileron port on the RX and you're good to go.
Thanks for that tip, chuck...

That was one element I couldn't get my head around at this point, not without having my new DX6 in hand. Till now I was thinking it was something that had to be set within the TX. But thanks to your input, I now know that's not the way.
Old Today, 09:01 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2014
77 Posts
For 3 channel planes (ie Super Cub S), I set up a mix so that the rudder can be controlled by either stick. Saves me from dumb thumb situations.
Hingo is online now Find More Posts by Hingo