SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:13 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
You also have to secure the canopy with two nylon bolts on my 87.
Ahhh see being new to gas on my 87, that 10 seconds to put on the canopy bolts is offset that I don't have to remove them for 7 12 minute glorious minute flights! Sorry folks, really liking the 87 on gas!
Quote:
When I get to the flying field at 0 dark thirty and thirty five degrees (the Army in me still comes out), I don't want to lose any time fiddling around. That's why the battery is already in my 59" or less WS planes and all I have to do is turn the transmitter on, plug battery to ESC, do preflight checks and start having fun!
Same here , gassed up, batterys charged, ready to go. Of course what cuts into our flying time? The social part of the hobby. Which I wouldn't change one bit.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:15 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Customize/personalize the setup to the individual pilot and the specific plane

QUOTE=wamsy55;23003829]Setup is very critical, but it depends on the pilot.

My setups are suited for me, and no one else. So what I recommend is not to go exactly with what the "experts" use. You should at first to get the airplane flyable, and then adapt it to yourself. Adjust the expo so you are always comfortable. It will take some time to get it perfect, but don't set it and forget it. If you spend the time to setup the plane with detail, you will find yourself enjoying it more and flying it harder.[/QUOTE]

Wamsy's refinements above communicate what I attempted with my post about setup.

Ultimately, the setup has to be "right" for the individual pilot and the specific plane. Manufacturer's recommendations can be a good place to start, but at the end of the day the pilot and the plane's setup determine whether the plane performs above and beyond the call of duty.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
As you like

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Ahhh see being new to gas on my 87, that 10 seconds to put on the canopy bolts is offset that I don't have to remove them for 7 12 minute glorious minute flights! Sorry folks, really liking the 87 on gas!

Same here , gassed up, batterys charged, ready to go. Of course what cuts into our flying time? The social part of the hobby. Which I wouldn't change one bit.
One of the favorite phrases I learned while in Iraq was "As you like."

Another was "It's too easy."
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
when I started I went out of my way to replicate the setups of those like Scott and AJ who had the flying skills that I wanted to replicate. Pick a person who flies the way you want to fly, copy their way of doing things. This was simply to reduce the variables. If I could remove the variables of the setup, then then only thing that was preventing me from flying like those guys is me and my own flying skill. With the attitude that with practice I can improve my flying skills, and if set up right it should be the only variable I had left in my way stopping me from reaching my goals.

...if I didn't have a replication of their setup, then it means that I had to fly differently. and I didn't want to fly differently, I wanted to fly like them

This also dove-tailed the way I was taught graphics and illustration... especially hand drawing things like comics: copy other people's work relentlessly, your own style and craft will come in time, the only thing between you and that goal is practice.

So for me, replicating setups and simply getting as much practice as possible helped me out immensely. Also meant that when I did get a chance to fly planes owned by those who I wanted to emulate, I was comfortable with their planes and could appreciate the differences.

Also keep in mind that when it comes to many things, a setup that helps one maneuver will hinder another. For example, anyone who is flying a tail heavy plane because they feel it helps them hover, they're then having to fight much more pitch coupling in knife edge flight, a plane that isn't tracking as well and also has a higher degree of pitch sensitivity. When you change a setup detail for one reason or another, it's likely that it's making the learning curve on other maneuvers much steeper. Is again a reason that I replicated setups of others flying in the way in which I wanted to replicate; have them decide where the middle ground was. thanks to copying Scott and AJ, I've never had to move my CofG location preference whether flying precision or 3D.

In copying their setups I also never really had to question the reason why I could or couldn't do a maneuver as the answer was always my flying ability...
Also I ASK!! those top pilots to fly my plane and give me their thoughts on my setup. Aron you flew my 72 last year, you noted you would prefer the faster savox on the ailerons to but it wasn;t big deal. Wamsey flew my 71 at the FLI, I thought it had a little to much differential in the ailerons. James flew it like his and noted maybe a little bit but not enough to change his flying style. Ben recently flew that reborn 72 with more weight up front to my liking and noted the was set up perfect after a click or 2 of trim.

Yea I tend to remember things exactly when the top guys tell me something. And Jim I'm running lawnboy in my DLE!!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Did I mention?

[QUOTE=robj;23005300]Ahhh see being new to gas on my 87, that 10 seconds to put on the canopy bolts is offset that I don't have to remove them for 7 12 minute glorious minute flights! Sorry folks, really liking the 87 on gas!

OBTW, did I mention that one reason I bought the 87 SHP was the possibility to
"upgrade" to gas after I got my fill of electric?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
OBTW, did I mention that one reason I bought the 87 SHP was the possibility to
"upgrade" to gas after I got my fill of electric?
I still have my electrics (30cc and under), but wow I really like this gas thing so far.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:26 AM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Personally if I go gas it wil be 50cc or more. 50cc's on electric seems too expensive for what you get. On the 30's its pretty close. Not worth going gas on the 30cc's for me at this time. My closest field is electric only so that helps my decision. Or I could drive 30 minutes to where Wamsy fly's gassers! When I get an 89 it will for sure be gas!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Learn from the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Personally if I go gas it wil be 50cc or more. 50cc's on electric seems too expensive for what you get. On the 30's its pretty close. Not worth going gas on the 30cc's for me at this time. My closest field is electric only so that helps my decision. Or I could drive 30 minutes to where Wamsy fly's gassers! When I get an 89 it will for sure be gas!
I like to see the best pilots in action live. Where is the field thirty minutes away where Wamsy flies? When I spoke with him at the 2012 TN Huckfest he mentioned that he was away at college.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:47 AM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,047 Posts
getting used to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
in my opinion, Edge and Extra's do some spanking on the Slicks for low and slow 3D. Edge has more aileron authority and it can roll at times that no plane should be able to roll, it also has more pitch authority. The footing that the Extras have, especially with SFG's, is the best in my opinion and can get a grip on itself and get flying sooner than all the other airframes...

...Slicks are a little better at speed than these planes with a little better tracking, but 3D goes to the Edge, second to the Extra. The Extra is the "easiest" and the most comfortable being harder to upset and quicker to recover.

But all one needs to do is read the histories... people learning their 3D and doing the most flying with Slicks will vote differently. the Slick does react a little different, and if you're used to this as opposed to what the Extras do, you will say Slicks will do everything better. Inversely, if you did all your 3D'ing on the Extras, then the edge will be given to the Extras... until you've spent all the time needed on both airframes to get used to them both equally, this is just how it is. When I first started flying the 104" Slick, I wasn't comfortable at all yet I could do anything with the 103" Extra. But time spent with the Slick, I'm now happy to throw it into whatever I want.

This is of course just much opinion... but I'll also lay out there that Joe swapped from Slicks being his favorite planes to the Extra's due to their better manners.... just say'n

(and anyone who now types that you need to be a pro to see the difference or to get whatever out of the Extras is lining themselves up for a slapping, cuz that is nonsense )
First flight on my 71-in slick, coming from the 59-in slick and velox 68, I said to myself " ... I don't like it as much as I thought I would". After a prop change and a little more time I was in love. Sticking with one plane as the primary ride really helps me. Switching around messes me up. And more I fly the bigger ones, the less I want time on the small ones ... the addiction continues unabated. So far I usually wreck the plane b/4 I get bored. Except for my old warbirds. I intentionally skidded an H9 Spitfire across the deck WOT and gave away a P-51 a few weeks ago.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:57 AM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
I like to see the best pilots in action live. Where is the field thirty minutes away where Wamsy flies? When I spoke with him at the 2012 TN Huckfest he mentioned that he was away at college.
He is back and forth. He goes to school about an hour and a half away do he comes back every once in a while. His home field is Peeler Park. In the middle of nowhere, but very peacefull place, I like it!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:12 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast View Post
First flight on my 71-in slick, coming from the 59-in slick and velox 68, I said to myself " ... I don't like it as much as I thought I would". After a prop change and a little more time I was in love. Sticking with one plane as the primary ride really helps me.
I would agree with this. I felt the same way about my 57" Extra at first. I liked it but didn't love it as much as I thought I would. Now I can't stop raving about it.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I would agree with this. I felt the same way about my 57" Extra at first. I liked it but didn't love it as much as I thought I would. Now I can't stop raving about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast View Post
First flight on my 71-in slick, coming from the 59-in slick and velox 68, I said to myself " ... I don't like it as much as I thought I would". After a prop change and a little more time I was in love. Sticking with one plane as the primary ride really helps me. Switching around messes me up. And more I fly the bigger ones, the less I want time on the small ones ...
Yes, a pilot I respect who has a number of 50cc, 100cc, and 150cc planes told me to practice with one plane. His advice has proved to be wise.
Last edited by Trill; Oct 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Peeler Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
He is back and forth. He goes to school about an hour and a half away do he comes back every once in a while. His home field is Peeler Park. In the middle of nowhere, but very peacefull place, I like it!
Yes, a flying buddy and I were there a few weeks ago. Beautiful site!

The 3DHS 48" Edge and EF 48" Edge EXP got a workout and comparison...
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Ok, Ok!

Quote:
The 3DHS 48" Edge and EF 48" Edge EXP got a workout and comparison...
Ok, Ok, no suspense and no drama!

One 48" Edge was better in upright harrier and flatspins and the other 48" Edge was better at inverted harrier and flatspins. I could continue through the flight envelope but I do remember some lessons from high school chemistry and physics.

The setups were not identical. Without the scientific method of control being employed who can truly say which plane is "better"? I preferred some characteristics of one plane. My buddy preferred others. So, this is now subjective comparison rather than objective analysis and comparison.

But we all had fun!

P.S. Since this thread is for 3DHS enthusiasts, I will add that the EF Edge was using 3DHS landing gear!
Last edited by Trill; Oct 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:51 AM
United States, TX, Palacios
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post

So true...I always arrive at the field or an away event saying to myself "I'm going to get a lot of flights in today..." but then end up BS'ing more than flying... But like you said I wouldn't change it...it's part of the hobby...
SportFlyer2 is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer2