HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:00 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
684 Posts
Just ordered mine and it took a whole 32 min to have it shipped!! I also ordered the air scoops for my mig to protect the ail servos. Service is definitely awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho2059 View Post
Nose protection and tail feather stiffeners are now available from Park Flyer Plastics.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...1ffa5c3b69166b

I received my plane this weekend but have only had a chance to hold the items. Everything seems like a good fit and should work well. Hope to be able to test at the end of the week.
fairplane is online now Find More Posts by fairplane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:04 PM
MikeMT
United States, Mt, Billings
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1 View Post
Ordered, thanks!

(shipped within 1 hr of placing order, now that's customer service)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplane View Post
Just ordered mine and it took a whole 32 min to have it shipped!! I also ordered the air scoops for my mig to protect the ail servos. Service is definitely awesome!
You think thats fast, plane got to his shop last wednesday afternoon and was back en-route to my place Thursday morning.

the nose protector will have to be trimmed a little on the bottom to fit around the landing gear mount, just an FYI.
nacho2059 is offline Find More Posts by nacho2059
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:34 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplane View Post
Yeah, mine shipped right away too! I love that shop. Keith is great and there are lots of inexpensive, cool doodads.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:24 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
I ordered the nose protectors for the MiG and Sabre...Can't wait!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:27 PM
Wetumpka, Alabama
Joined Sep 2005
60 Posts
I See You!
Added 12.2g to the total weight.
That's a 17.02% increase.
This should be fun!

Thought about wiring in to the charge jack to power the camera, its bat is 5.5g that would save a lot of the increase in weight. Just want to get it in the air for now though.
brittcrowell is offline Find More Posts by brittcrowell
Last edited by brittcrowell; Feb 01, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:35 PM
Wetumpka, Alabama
Joined Sep 2005
60 Posts
Well it was getting dark, but it was windy all day and I had to finish a timing belt job on my '93 subie legacy wagon (The aircraft carrier).
Got 2 flights in with the cam on. Man was it nose heavy, 6+ up clicks.
2nd flight I moved it back some, but it didn't help much. Need to do the battery mod. That will help a lot.

F-86 in flight video (6 min 24 sec)
brittcrowell is offline Find More Posts by brittcrowell
Last edited by brittcrowell; Feb 02, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:22 PM
North Wales, PA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
91 Posts
Been contemplating an easy way to add Thrust Vectoring capability to the Sabre. Primarily to combat the nasty Sabre dance.

I tinkered with some other approaches involving linkages and pivots, but this approach uses a single piece of folded cardstock and a bit of tape to attach the plate to the bottom of both elevators. The bend in the middle of the plate can be adjusted to flatten or steepen the anhedral of the plate. This way I can increase or lessen the effect of the thrust vectoring in either pitch direction.

So how'd it fly? With the thrust plate bent as shown, I have more downward pitch authority than up - any tendency to do the Dance can be nipped instantly in the bud. Not only during launch, but during an extended vertical climb (note - on 3s only!). The elevator used to lose all effectiveness when attempting to hold an upline. Now I can give full down and the Sabre levels off like an F-22 strutting its stuff.

I'll post a pattern if anyone is interested.

Dave
dgarbern is online now Find More Posts by dgarbern
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:49 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittcrowell View Post
I See You!
Added 12.2g to the total weight.
That's a 17.02% increase.
This should be fun!

Thought about wiring in to the charge jack to power the camera, its bat is 5.5g that would save a lot of the increase in weight. Just want to get it in the air for now though.
Been there---Done that...My Sabre with the camera was very nose heavy and I crashed onto a neighbors roof....Embarrassing!!!!...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:11 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,401 Posts
I just added an E-Flite UMX Mig-15 to my hangar. Nice little flyer, compares well to the GP Micro F-86. Here are my thoughts:

E-Flite UMX Mig-15 vs Great Planes Micro F-86: Micro EDF Shootout! (6 min 26 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:38 PM
MikeMT
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
I just added an E-Flite UMX Mig-15 to my hangar. Nice little flyer, compares well to the GP Micro F-86. Here are my thoughts...
Nice video. I especially liked the landing you made with the Mig. Good thing it was a soft pile of snow. Had you hit LVC?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:13 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho2059 View Post
Nice video. I especially liked the landing you made with the Mig. Good thing it was a soft pile of snow. Had you hit LVC?
I don't think so. A bit of moisture had gotten into the power system after a previous "landing" and it wasn't putting out full power. I really just didn't think the maneouvre through...
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:21 PM
MikeMT
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
I got around to installing the nose protector and tail feather stiffeners this afternoon. The nose looks good, a bit beefier, the tail is barely noticeable at all.

Weight gain is marginal and it is also equal front to rear. Of course it all depends on how much you cut off.

That said I added a total of 4 grams. 2 grams for the nose and 2 grams for the three pieces on the rear.

Unable to test fly with the winds here lately but hope to in the next week.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:33 AM
United States, TX, Hidalgo
Joined Jun 2006
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
I just added an E-Flite UMX Mig-15 to my hangar. Nice little flyer, compares well to the GP Micro F-86. Here are my thoughts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnJ3ytq4T2Y

Beware dog waiting to eat a mig!!!!
equus is online now Find More Posts by equus
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:48 AM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
935 Posts
Potential Battery Short Issue

I have not been on this thread in a while so this problem I had may have been talked about so if it has I'm sorry about the duplicate post.

Yesterday the Weather was good enough to get a couple of flights in with my F-86 at a local park. I even took off with the F-86 sliding on the snow.

While at work today I was walking between buildings and put my hand in my pocket and found I put a battery in my pocket. I got a phone call on my cell while I was talking the battery started to get hot in my hand. I open my hand and quickly noticed the positive lead was stuck into the back of the negative lead of the balance plug! This created a dead short as you all know it would, I know this happen while I had the battery in my hand because it wasn't hot when I pulled the battery out of my pocket.

I know "I'm Stupid" it wasn't very smart to put the battery in my pocket in the first place so I'm very lucky the battery didn't short in my coat pocket while hung up in the closet. I'll said it again I'm Lucky for being stupid! I could be homeless right now or even worse I could of lost my family. I will never do this again I'm thinking a fix for this could be to make a protection cover for the micro dean connector or even change the connector to a JST female or something else. So I would like to know if others have foreseen this and what changes did you do.

Lastly I want to be clear on this matter I'm not blaming the manufacturer this was clearly my fault.
BadLemon is online now Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:13 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
I have not been on this thread in a while so this problem I had may have been talked about so if it has I'm sorry about the duplicate post.

Yesterday the Weather was good enough to get a couple of flights in with my F-86 at a local park. I even took off with the F-86 sliding on the snow.

While at work today I was walking between buildings and put my hand in my pocket and found I put a battery in my pocket. I got a phone call on my cell while I was talking the battery started to get hot in my hand. I open my hand and quickly noticed the positive lead was stuck into the back of the negative lead of the balance plug! This created a dead short as you all know it would, I know this happen while I had the battery in my hand because it wasn't hot when I pulled the battery out of my pocket.

I know "I'm Stupid" it wasn't very smart to put the battery in my pocket in the first place so I'm very lucky the battery didn't short in my coat pocket while hung up in the closet. I'll said it again I'm Lucky for being stupid! I could be homeless right now or even worse I could of lost my family. I will never do this again I'm thinking a fix for this could be to make a protection cover for the micro dean connector or even change the connector to a JST female or something else. So I would like to know if others have foreseen this and what changes did you do.

Lastly I want to be clear on this matter I'm not blaming the manufacturer this was clearly my fault.
I'm glad everything turned out ok for you.

One thing that should have been done by LiPo makers is to have the + and - posts on the connectors switched. Have the + lead on the battery be the female instead of the male. In your case had those being switched neg would have been to neg and no problem.

That said, even if they had been switched, the pin from the battery could just as easily have found the correct lead on the balance tap to create a short, regardless of which side of the battery the wires/connectors are connected.

As a cover, something that works well is to pick up some vacuum hose caps from the auto parts store that'll fit the mini Deans. Like these. I've taken an old plastic drink straw, cut about 1/2" off it and seal one end with RTV silicone and the open end fits the Mini Deans snugly.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi