HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:39 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,213 Posts
You can do 'traditional' and it will be fine.
Extra mixes just allow various extra abilities, that most people won't even recognise, need, and thus care about really. If you understand them then you will (should) get some fun and use of them, but it is not a 'must do' thing at all.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - what NOT to buy !!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:17 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecopey View Post
Wow.......

Due to poor runway conditions and pilot skills, I ended up with fixed gear.

Takeoffs are now absolutely gorgeous.

Mains are 2 inches taller and Nose is about 3 inches taller.

For those that were discussing the nose angle of the plane during takeoff, that is definitely a flaw that causes this thing to jump erratically into the air.

I guess low pressure at the inlets may be holding it down also, because raising the entire plane improved upon the earlier version of just raising the nose.

Not much you can do if keeping the retracts, tho.......

Actually, I get beautiful takeoffs with the stock retracts on a runway by using some pitch thrust vectoring taking off..........

Do not have a lot of grass takeoffs, but the thrust vectoring helps some there, as well. The drag of the grass does hinder rotation, even with some thurst vectoring.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:04 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Do you guys just set yours up traditional (throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder) or some way else like a delta mix or something? I would hate to do this setup then find out it fly's better someway else. Thanks.
AV8r, its been set all different ways.
Fly it first and then decide. You can always make the changes later reprogramming the TX and adding the needed separate radio lines. All the servos stay the same.

Full functionality takes nothing away, it only adds to performance in small ways. As Pete said though [IMO depending on your flying skills] you may or may not even notice the difference depending on the kind of flying that you intend to do.

So no need for the question; just decide. By choosing an 8 channel RX you have limited your option to only one addition as each requires an additional channel;
  • Rudders separate from nose steering
  • TV Yaw on/off
  • Tailerons
  • Flapperons
If you are looking for just straight flying, use it as is.
If you want more 3D or scale performance then add the rest.
Rudder and steering, TV Yaw I don't see as primary because turning them off is all that adds.
Flapperons.... well from previous conversations and questions I don't think you'll really use them without many other questions trying to figure them out.
So as some did like SU-4Ever, if you want to look at his flight vids we added tailerons to improve roll control at low speeds if you understand 3D throttle control.

There are lots of opinions and only a very few have tried all the various options successfully so really just try it yourself. The flip to that is most everything you've watched on vids only have an improved drive setup.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:36 AM
RC is healthy for your brains!
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Yes, although I am a beginner, I would like to add this:
this airplane model is an "almost cheap", properly made robust complete model.
Until the added cost of keeping all the channels separate will pull you back, keep on setting it up as realistically as possible so to be able to program it into basic functioning and then add anything that attracts you step by step.
Flapperons are a remarkable feature; Tailerons are a crucial native behaviour.
Personally, I am completely attracted by this model and this model only because it delivers perhaps the best platform in the market today to start living with a thorough performance 360TV system.
I do suggest that you aim to get as much help as possible if you feel alone and lost in programming and setting up all the channels possible. I actually find it part of the fun in rc planes. Radios are great things to be absorbed as deep as possible.
.Superfly. is offline Find More Posts by .Superfly.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:46 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
It just doesnt' take long to fill all the channels!
14 at last count. Two more to play with...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:32 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Tailerons are great, they are not a must but it's so much better...

Not just a little improvement! ^^
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:43 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,213 Posts
I am still not happy with the 'visualisation/thought' over the LEF's with a Carbon Fibre strip face, or made from a balsa block. Neither way seems truly 'twist free' enough - versus the fact that the outer regions are getting smaller quite fast, so 'twist' beyond about the 2/3 point is not likely anyway. But I want something assured to remain rigid... to at least "6.3 on the twistigidy scale".

I am more leaning towards 2.5mm plywood LEF face, because that will glue 'properly' to the foam and thus make a very rigid 'ply' structure of the two. But.... all 2.5mm sheets I ever get are bowed anyway! And that is enough 'inbuilt force' to distort the LEF - unless jigged in some manner to assure it 'wins' over the ply's bow while the glue dries.

So... a dilemna over what to do for it still.....

I could make totally new ones from beech, or pine..... LOL
Or.... use a CF LEF face strip, then with the whole LEF glassed (GF sheet and WBPU) to get assured rigidity.
I aim to do it over this weekend, so whatever I come up with as 'acceptable' tomorrow will be it..... (I wonder how much Pine would weigh......??? A bit of a nuisance to work with! Especially a reasonably complex shape in total.)
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - what NOT to buy !!!
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:58 AM
RC is healthy for your brains!
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
In alternative, you can always contact Sukhoi to manufature two scale parts!
.Superfly. is offline Find More Posts by .Superfly.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:05 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Bias glass for torsion. A sock would be perfect.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:43 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,448 Posts
Pete: twistadig....are you looking to cut down small trees with LE.
Consider the aileron with much more area or the tailerons on a single pivot made of the same non reinforced foam isn't doing any huge torsion that wing doesn't already experience.
You're bairly an inch deep at the root so anything you're adding is armor plating!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:07 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
Tailerons are great, they are not a must but it's so much better...

Not just a little improvement! ^^
How do I get tailerons? This is the one I want most. I picked up a couple Y-harnesses just in case. Thanks
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Sep 2011
250 Posts
Here are my birds

genghiskt is online now Find More Posts by genghiskt
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:06 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,448 Posts
AV8r this isn't like the Euro where you have three different controls operating in pitch and roll (Elevons, Canards and TV).
The tailerons are set up the same way you do just the elevon alone or just the TV alone. In fact its a duplication of the TV setup on the TX.

The FW SU comes with a Y radio wire for the stabilators. To convert them to tailerons you need to replace the Y with separate individual radio wires to each servo. When I was speaking with Andy its still the one thing that JR/Spek has not added to their default wing types menu (tailerons) and using elevon mode changes the flap operation. But since the DX18 comes with some many extra mixes you can use the four mixes for the TV and four mixes for the taileron in what ever channels you choose.

Oh and an easy way to pull the radio wires through is connect the single replacements to the ends of the existing Y, tie the ends off and pull the Y through till you feed them back to the radio.

Everything else stays the same.
And to your earlier question on setup, with the exception of the TV and Tails, everything is all basic setup. The only thing you might change is how much expo and assigned switches which is your choice.
Just follow the FW manual for TV setup but with the throws/DR/Expo of the stabs.

You got this.... You already know how to set it up since the Euro is even harder to setup.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:10 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Got it Max, and thanks.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:37 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,448 Posts
Personally, I would invest in a 12 channel RX for any jet if or when I pickup the DX18.
I notice the difference using scale features and would still like to separate the TV YAW etc along with Taileron and Flapperon. I'd even play with differential thrust and ruddervators.

I should add re tailerons, the way SU and I did it both because of radio limits as well as use of gyros was with an external mixer off an aileron channel and Elv channel. By doing it externally, a gyro can be placed on the desired axis. I haven't used this on gyro yet but I have a KK2 board that I'll likely reprogram and add some where down the road; more likely if I crash it I can fit it in during a redo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Got it Max, and thanks.
RCG Plus Member