HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:27 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,696 Posts
I am confused. So it is an eflight connector?
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:39 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
From what I get from people, it is an eflite connector ... but for the mCPX, NOT the mSR (which is the same as on the 9958)

But I am still a little in doubt as to what to believe, so I did order a new version from Tmart to SEE for myself. I will make a review of it on my blog once it comes it (hopefully by Friday the latest) to once and for all have ONE really CLEAR descrioption of what is going on. (otherwise there are just too many people talking about the same thing using too many words (for me) with different meanings ...)

more to follow!

erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
New v911 is using this connector :

You are talking about this connector :

mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:11 AM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
What was the logic behind switching the battery. Why mess with a good thing, me personally I hate that little connector and when I get my new 911 I probably change the skids to the old style and keep using 150 ma batteries to match the ones I have. My 9958 you have to wiggle the plug to get a good connection. and the battery sometimes falls out in flight. Someone had to lay awake a few nights to dream this one up. Kinda like that weird plug on the Nine Eagle Solo Pro 160 unless you mod it your stuck with few choices.
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:42 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,435 Posts
The new v911 as I understand it, the connector is fixed, so you will still slide the battery into the skids. I believe the reason people liked the eflite style batteries is simply compatibility with other helicopters they already own and also have choice in using 3rd party cells. Some of which are known to be better performing?

The v911, when it first came out...it's proprietary battery was hard to source. And it was unproven. Luckily, WLToy's battery were actually pretty good. phew.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
The new v911 as I understand it, the connector is fixed, so you will still slide the battery into the skids. I believe the reason people liked the eflite style batteries is simply compatibility with other helicopters they already own and also have choice in using 3rd party cells. Some of which are known to be better performing?

The v911, when it first came out...it's proprietary battery was hard to source. And it was unproven. Luckily, WLToy's battery were actually pretty good. phew.
Lets hope it is the Eflight style and not some mongrel thing that nothing fits
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman View Post
New v911 is using this connector :
Well one thing i've noticed right off the bat between the Turnigy 160mAh battery that mystman posted and the new V911 battery is the guide ridges on the black part.

If you look at the picture closely, the 160mAh battery has two ridges on each side of the black part of the battery, where as the new V911 battery has just one ridge down the center.

However, the 300mAh battery has one ridge down the center of the black part, very similar to that of the new V911 battery.

So from my observation, it appears that the 300mAh battery may fit the new V911, but if one wanted to use that 160mAh battery, they would have to file down those ridges on the sides.
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jun 2012
1,290 Posts
A test to the quality and durability of the V911

Two months ago my original V911 landed in my neighbors big tree,due the thick foliage I could not see it.Yesterday morning it finally fell out of the tree.After two months of being lodged in the tree,rained on three times,she still flys like new.
Jasen40 is online now Find More Posts by Jasen40
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:41 AM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen40 View Post
Two months ago my original V911 landed in my neighbors big tree,due the thick foliage I could not see it.Yesterday morning it finally fell out of the tree.After two months of being lodged in the tree,rained on three times,she still flys like new.
What stands out to me isn't that it still flies, but that it only rained 3 times in 2 months.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:07 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,435 Posts
So it looks like it's the mCPX connector. Which means the mCPX batteries are gonna be too big to slide into the new v911 battery tray, making it essentially proprietary once again.

The upside is, the design change is to facilitate easier replacement of skids at the expense of introducing yet another part and making their v911 line more fragmented.

Wonder who's gonna be the first to own all flavors and color combo of v911?
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:08 AM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen40 View Post
actually unbeknown to you the 911 was on a little vacation, high in the canopy just hanging out. The only thing they like better is to be submerged till unconcius
and then revived to fly again. (flat lining)
undestructable
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:56 AM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
918 Posts
The ultimate V911 Battery?

All this battery talk has made my head spin!

It seems WL Toys have moved from one proprietary battery to another and nobody understands why.

So, what if we dump WL Toys' batteries alltogether , make our own battery trays from a length of heatshrink CA glued to the bottom of the skids and solder a nice long wire with a connector on it to the mainboard? That would also make it easier for those of us installing scale fuselages to adjust the CG or move the battery inside the fuselage. I actually think a stock V911 might do well with having the CG moved just a little forwards. It seems all three of mine fly faster in reverse than any other direction...

Which battery would you choose if you consider capacity, value for money, weight and availability not only of the batteries, but also of a suitable charger and pigtails with the appropriate connector? Local hobbyshop availability would be great.

I would not be opposed to being able to fly all my micro helicopters (including any future ones of different makes) off the same batteries. For my V911/Hughes 500 I would actually like a shorter/broader battery (like the one in the S107G) which could be installed inside the fuselage against the PCB, but it would be nice if that also used the same connector / charger as whatever I use on the other birds.

I have six batteries now (one has gone missing), but may very well decide to mod all my birds to fit something else once those start dying.

PS: I replaced the receiver PCB in my original Blue/White and she now flies again. Still unsure whether that was a wise investment as the receiver was more than half the price of a new BNF, but I would have felt bad breaking her up for spares...

Owen
nagromnewo is offline Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:15 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
So it looks like it's the mCPX connector. Which means the mCPX batteries are gonna be too big to slide into the new v911 battery tray, making it essentially proprietary once again.

The upside is, the design change is to facilitate easier replacement of skids at the expense of introducing yet another part and making their v911 line more fragmented.

Wonder who's gonna be the first to own all flavors and color combo of v911?
Other than the battery connector, what else (known at the moment) has changed? If all other parts remain unchanged, there's no incentive (for me at least) to get the new one.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Sep 2012
918 Posts
Scale rotor blades (and head)

Hi

Any ideas for a set of rotor blades that would look more scale on the V911 for my Hughes 300 and 500 birds? I know true scale blades would be way too narrow and fragile and probably wouldn't fly, but something more like the blades used on larger helis would be nice. I appreciate that this might involve replacing the head too.

I'd prefer something that is as robust as the original blades and head if possible.

Owen
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Sep 2012
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Other than the battery connector, what else (known at the moment) has changed? If all other parts remain unchanged, there's no incentive (for me at least) to get the new one.
Another question: Will the skids from the old version fit the new one? In other words, could you buy a BNF with the new battery connector and replace the skids to get the old battery connector?

PS. Skids are sold with or without the contacts and wires.

Owen