Closed Thread
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:41 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Help!
Need your input. Please comment.

A bit of history on this. This guy(new to our club nick name Sargent) was claiming everyone is to fly a "race track pattern when more than one plane is in the air. Their is no such rule in our club. What we do have is a landing and take off pattern (just like any club) once you are out over the flying area you can fly as you wish as long as your safe and do not cross the infinity line. Take offs, landings, and touch and goes are all to be announced.

Our club is run by a group of guys who have pasted leadership back and forth for the last 35 years or more. A very clickish group. Most of them rarely fly and seem to rather enjoy delegating authority than anything. (control freaks) Quite dysfunctional in my opinion.

To: #### RC Pilots association 7-10-11

Incident at the flying field today.

Today at the flying field as I was flying from north to south when my plane collided with another members plane. I was flying in a straight line off the runway over the field when we hit. The Damage was very minor.
Immediately after our planes clipped wing tips #### (last name unknown) became extremely verbally abusive to me.
" You hit my plane you f-ing s.o.b !" He then continued to my flying station ranting and raving in my face as I was trying to land my plane. I told #### several time to get away from me as I was trying to land. This caused me to almost louse control of my plane and could have been very dangerous.
After landing #### continued with his ranting, raving and cussing of how I wasn't flying a "race Pattern" and crashed into him. A yelling match began . This was the worst case of un sportsman like conduct I have ever witnessed at #####. Even if the crash was my fault #### actions where totally uncalled for and a direct violation of the Code of Conduct. What I found strange was the fact that both the club president and secretary where both present and stood by and did nothing to stop ####'s verbal abuse. In fact the club official added insult to injury by lambasting me saying I think I own the club and can do whatever I want or something to this effect. (what???)
In the four years I've been flying at ##### I have never once heard of or seen the "Race pattern" enforced.
With three or four planes in the air this would be a good idea however nowhere in the club rules or bi laws is this mentioned in any way. I did not violate any club safety rule or bi- law. All of this could have been avoided had #### acted in a sportsman like manner. Had I thought the crash was my fault I would have offered to buy him a new plane. This was nothing more that an unfortunate no fault accident. I only used obscene language after #### called me a "SOB". No grown man I know is going to stand there while someone calls them a SOB and do nothing.

Specifically #### broke the following rules:

Used abusive or obscene language.
Behaved in as threatening or aggressive manner.
Behaved in an un-sportsman-like discourteous manner.
Caused a very dangerous situation by verbally attacking me while I was flying.

The reason I have resigned from ##### is because of what the secretary of the club said to me.
I've spent countless hours working on things at ##### , mowing , working on making it easer and more comfortable not just for myself but for the club. Anyone who knows me well knows this. I can't think of anyone who has single handedly run off more people from SRCPA and this hobby the Mr. ##### with his pompous arrogant altitude. If anyone thinks ##### is their own personal flying club it would be Mr.#####.

With that I bid you farewell.

What would you do? I resigned in haste and wish I hadn't now as I have thousands of dollars of planes, now with no place to fly. This is my only hobby and I love it. I maybe allowed to rejoin but I'm not sure.

Your comments would be much apreciated.
Thanks foir your time.
D.B. Hooper
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:10 AM
Joined Sep 2001
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. Hooper View Post
A bit of history on this. This guy(new to our club nick name Sargent) was claiming everyone is to fly a "race track pattern when more than one plane is in the air. Their is no such rule in our club. What we do have is a landing and take off pattern (just like any club) once you are out over the flying area you can fly as you wish as long as your safe and do not cross the infinity line. Take offs, landings, and touch and goes are all to be announced.

Our club is run by a group of guys who have pasted leadership back and forth for the last 35 years or more. A very clickish group. Most of them rarely fly and seem to rather enjoy delegating authority than anything. (control freaks) Quite dysfunctional in my opinion.

To: #### RC Pilots association 7-10-11

Incident at the flying field today.

Today at the flying field as I was flying from north to south when my plane collided with another members plane. I was flying in a straight line off the runway over the field when we hit. The Damage was very minor.
Immediately after our planes clipped wing tips #### (last name unknown) became extremely verbally abusive to me.
" You hit my plane you f-ing s.o.b !" He then continued to my flying station ranting and raving in my face as I was trying to land my plane. I told #### several time to get away from me as I was trying to land. This caused me to almost louse control of my plane and could have been very dangerous.
After landing #### continued with his ranting, raving and cussing of how I wasn't flying a "race Pattern" and crashed into him. A yelling match began . This was the worst case of un sportsman like conduct I have ever witnessed at #####. Even if the crash was my fault #### actions where totally uncalled for and a direct violation of the Code of Conduct. What I found strange was the fact that both the club president and secretary where both present and stood by and did nothing to stop ####'s verbal abuse. In fact the club official added insult to injury by lambasting me saying I think I own the club and can do whatever I want or something to this effect. (what???)
In the four years I've been flying at ##### I have never once heard of or seen the "Race pattern" enforced.
With three or four planes in the air this would be a good idea however nowhere in the club rules or bi laws is this mentioned in any way. I did not violate any club safety rule or bi- law. All of this could have been avoided had #### acted in a sportsman like manner. Had I thought the crash was my fault I would have offered to buy him a new plane. This was nothing more that an unfortunate no fault accident. I only used obscene language after #### called me a "SOB". No grown man I know is going to stand there while someone calls them a SOB and do nothing.

Specifically #### broke the following rules:

Used abusive or obscene language.
Behaved in as threatening or aggressive manner.
Behaved in an un-sportsman-like discourteous manner.
Caused a very dangerous situation by verbally attacking me while I was flying.

The reason I have resigned from ##### is because of what the secretary of the club said to me.
I've spent countless hours working on things at ##### , mowing , working on making it easer and more comfortable not just for myself but for the club. Anyone who knows me well knows this. I can't think of anyone who has single handedly run off more people from SRCPA and this hobby the Mr. ##### with his pompous arrogant altitude. If anyone thinks ##### is their own personal flying club it would be Mr.#####.

With that I bid you farewell.

What would you do? I resigned in haste and wish I hadn't now as I have thousands of dollars of planes, now with no place to fly. This is my only hobby and I love it. I maybe allowed to rejoin but I'm not sure.

Your comments would be much apreciated.
Thanks foir your time.
D.B. Hooper
Are you younger than and fly better than most of them?? Are your planes nicer? Your story seems to suggest lots of resentment of you for some reason.... Anyway, probably best you left. To stay and "work through" such things will probably cause more resentment...if in fact, that is the case... Just wondering...
littlecrankshaft is offline Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:06 AM
Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Joined Nov 2007
60 Posts
If you resigned due to the other pilots verbal abuse, he succeeded in his goal. Why else would he yell at someone if not to discourage them from being a participant?

Unfortunately there is a major attitude problem that plagues a lot of AMA clubs. Our only options are to attempt to get things restructured from the inside, or start anew from the outside.

I would have apologized to the other pilot (before any verbal abuse), but otherwise I would have told him that if he wants to be a 5 year-old about it, he could go home and fly some paper airplanes.
DarkStarPDX is offline Find More Posts by DarkStarPDX
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:39 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecrankshaft View Post
Are you younger than and fly better than most of them?? Are your planes nicer? Your story seems to suggest lots of resentment of you for some reason.... Anyway, probably best you left. To stay and "work through" such things will probably cause more resentment...if in fact, that is the case... Just wondering...
I think you hit the nail on the head for the most part. I'm no youngster at 53. Most of these guys are late 60's. At first I thought maybe they where lousing their touch but after talking with people who have known them for years they where never very good pilots. I've only been flying 4 or 5 years but have lots of stick time. I don't claim to be the best but have picked things up fairly quickly. Another problem is I'm all electric and yes most of my planes will out preform theirs. I have a Ritewing Demon that does 150MPH+. You maybe right about staying in the Club.
Thanks for you input.
D.B.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:47 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarPDX View Post
If you resigned due to the other pilots verbal abuse, he succeeded in his goal. Why else would he yell at someone if not to discourage them from being a participant?

Unfortunately there is a major attitude problem that plagues a lot of AMA clubs. Our only options are to attempt to get things restructured from the inside, or start anew from the outside.

I would have apologized to the other pilot (before any verbal abuse), but otherwise I would have told him that if he wants to be a 5 year-old about it, he could go home and fly some paper airplanes.
I had no chance to apologize as he immediately began cussing me. Also it wasn't my fault. One of these members is quite well known here in these parts. Being from Oregon I'll bet you know a few of our members. Most of them are very nice people just a few bad apples to spoil the fun.
I've flown up at Banks Ore before.

Take care and thanks for the input.
D.B.
Last edited by D.B. Hooper; Jul 15, 2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:23 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
I have seen the type before no matter what happens its not their fault. It was a radio glitch, sun was in their eyes, mechanical failure, the list is pretty much endless. The one thing you can be certain of is the crash wasn't the pilots fault.

How you can deal with the situation at this point is the hard part. The construction worker in me would want to be him senseless with a crowbar but that obviously isn't an option. Odds are diplomacy wont work either. The guy sounds like one of the people that take great pleasure in making everyone around them miserable, for some strange reason some people take great pleasure in this. If I were put in your situation I would probably try talking to the club president face to face with no one else around. If that doesn't work out your stuck with either ignoring the guy or quitting.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:31 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Its part of the hobby.
Dont let this/him stop you.
He will keep flying, so should you.
I would hope after a few days he will remember its all part of the hobby.
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:38 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
D.B.,

I would definitely speak to the President in private.

Furthermore I would expect to be allowed to join without even going to a meeting, or paying re-initiation fees of any type.

There was great fault by President and others for not stepping in to calm the situation.

I wouldn't even want to fill out a form....let the president deal with whatever he needs to.

Have him (the president) admit his short comings and have him tell you what he is going to do to prevent future abuse by the butt wipe or anyone else for that matter.

That is making me more mad than the butt wipe's bad mouth when he was hot(still inexcusable).

President of your club didn't have his heart racing, had a clear mind, and should have done his JOB!!!

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:21 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
D.B.,

I would definitely speak to the President in private.

Furthermore I would expect to be allowed to join without even going to a meeting, or paying re-initiation fees of any type.

There was great fault by President and others for not stepping in to calm the situation.

I wouldn't even want to fill out a form....let the president deal with whatever he needs to.

Have him (the president) admit his short comings and have him tell you what he is going to do to prevent future abuse by the butt wipe or anyone else for that matter.

That is making me more mad than the butt wipe's bad mouth when he was hot(still inexcusable).

President of your club didn't have his heart racing, had a clear mind, and should have done his JOB!!!

Gryphon
I tried to talk with the president who is a friend of mine but he didn't want to. A lot of E-mails got exchanged between members and things have soured. Me resigning didn't help my case.

Just one month before this I got in to a yelling match with another guy after he wanted to remove tables from the electric area. When I said we needed them there he told me F your electric planes! you electric guys don't run this club! Then the next week it was a mowing argument with the same guy. This time he filed a formal complaint to the executive board. I had three witnesses who where there and saw what happened. The President talked to them and they backed my side of the story as his was a pack of lies and everyone knew it. When it came time for the inquisition hearing I got my dates mixed up and failed to show. This was my fault. So I ended up taking strike one against me for not showing up. My bad.

My not showing up made them all mad and I can't blame them. I was given the benefit of dought and the other guy quit the club over that.

So there was some bad blood before this. Even if the previous incident hadn't happened I still feel they would have stood there and done nothing. So, their you have the whole story.
I have certified mail at the post office to pick up from the club so I will be interesting to see what that's about.
D.B.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:31 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Are there any other clubs that are feasible to join in your area ? Looking at the AMA website I know there are several in your area.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:51 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OH, Marysville
Joined Nov 2005
25,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Are there any other clubs that are feasible to join in your area ? Looking at the AMA website I know there are several in your area.
My first thought as well. If not, can you start a new field? If not, just ignore them and enjoy yourself. If that is possible.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:39 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Yes there is another club just 3 1/2 miles from my house It's run by the same guy who is also club secretary at the club I just quit. The same guy who told me I thought I owned the club and could do anything I want.
He's the one I called pompous in my resignation letter. He is the puppet master of both clubs and has been for years. Very strange hot and cold type guy. He has his flock of brown nosed sheep who kiss his for whatever reason.

I do have a privet field I can fly at but it's a 45 mile round trip. I flew there today and I can fly there anytime I want.

Thanks for the imput Hance.

D.B.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:48 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
My first thought as well. If not, can you start a new field? If not, just ignore them and enjoy yourself. If that is possible.

Frank
I'm thinking of this also as are others. It's not that easy but very possible. I may be able to rejoin next year but I'm not sure. Most of the time I fly it's just a few friends and we all get along great the last four years. I could avoid weekends as thats when the problems have happened.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:57 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OH, Marysville
Joined Nov 2005
25,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. Hooper View Post
I'm thinking of this also as are others. It's not that easy but very possible. I may be able to rejoin next year but I'm not sure. Most of the time I fly it's just a few friends and we all get along great the last four years. I could avoid weekends as thats when the problems have happened.
I have helped others with getting new flying sites. Perhaps I can help? Shoot me a PM and I can steer you in the right direction if you need some advice.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:01 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
I have helped others with getting new flying sites. Perhaps I can help? Shoot me a PM and I can steer you in the right direction if you need some advice.

Frank
Thanks for that Frank! We have lot's of farm land around here. We just need to find the right farmer.
D.B.
Closed Thread