HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:40 PM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I have one of the so-called 15mm fisheye, the ID of the magnetic mount is 9.2mm, the OD of the mount is 12.8mm. Maybe the 15mm is the 35mm eguivalent.

Dealextreme Item# 39814

I use it on my ZxD, makes it like a GoPro. Probably too wide angle for a #11

Thanks for that info, very useful. The 39814 appears to come out best in tests, but I was concerned that the mag mount was larger. If it's 12.8 mm and 9.2 mm it will fit the same ring as my 0.67. The fisheye view is a bit extreme, but I think will give an interesting perspective if I can mount it in my paraglider canopy looking downwards.

Ordered this evening!

Bob
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:44 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
No no thats not it :-)
yet.:-))
Have to make sure my video is without glitches so you wont miss the wrinkles or cracks :-)
By the way why the time reset itself??
The time resets to default when the battery is disconnected or runs down from just sitting around uncharged as it continues to power the on-board clock.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:47 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
285 Posts
Anyone know if the #11 camera being shipped now have the latest release 2 firmware already installed. Sad thing.... lost my original #11 in the past 2 days. Looked everywhere and I am really torqued. TIA guys

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:52 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabryd View Post
hi, just bought the #11, and i've seen it is hot during the use (not charging but while filming) is it normal?
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabryd View Post
I'm sorry, i've read FAQ several times but i missed the question i needed.... sorry
The following is part of the FAQs list in Post #3... can you find one that looks similar to your question?:

Basic Camera Function Topics
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
Anyone know if the #11 camera being shipped now have the latest release 2 firmware already installed. Sad thing.... lost my original #11 in the past 2 days. Looked everywhere and I am really torqued. TIA guys

Ron
All are supposed to have the Rel 2 firmware installed now.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:07 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The time resets to default when the battery is disconnected or runs down from just sitting around uncharged as it continues to power the on-board clock.
Oh, thx Tom, will try to reset it again but thats a major pain to remember if it sits for a week or so waiting for next flight.
I probably will just ignore it.
Thank you again.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:20 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Oh, thx Tom, will try to reset it again but thats a major pain to remember if it sits for a week or so waiting for next flight.
I probably will just ignore it.
Thank you again.
If you can ignore the wrong date, why not just eliminate the date display altogether by flashing in the new "remove time" firmware?

FWIW, the current drain from the on-board clock is really tiny. The camera has to be really weak or not re-charged after use for it to totally run down in a weeks time.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:27 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
I would love to flash the firmware but Im a big chicken, dont want to trash the camera
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafalgarLaw View Post
Tom, so far I succeed recovering the files by 2 PC software. The first one is standard windows CHKDSK, and the second one is "PC Inspector File Recovery", you can google it. Have you tried "CHKDSK /f /r" yet? It might help. (check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK)

More hints,: you can google for "SD card video recovery" of some similar phrases. You still have the last choice, sending your mini SD card to the recovery lab in germany, if the video is very important. Good luck recovering it

PS. any news for rev3 firmware?
I hadn't tried the /r flag with CHKDSK, but just did, and no changes. The file/disk appear to be "clean" to the DOS commands, but the content is clearly corrupted as a valid .MOV file.

I did do a brief google search for mov recovery tools very late last night, but all the initial hits were MAC utils. I'll find the PC Inspector File Recovery util, and if it's freeware, I'll give it a try.

<EDIT> No news on the new firmware we want/need. I did get a copy of a new 50 min S/S/C "date on" firmware, though, but no go-ahead to release it. I was surprised they spent time producing it since no one here had requested it. I think it must have been done for the new Jumbo #11's with the larger batteries that can record for 90+ minutes, in lieu of producing so many 20 min. clips with the original basic S/S/C "date on" firmware. The only advantage for an original #11 user is it could record continuously with date stamp on with the internal battery. I gave feedback again after testing with our priorities for new firmware. <EDIT>
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 05, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:39 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
I would love to flash the firmware but Im a big chicken, dont want to trash the camera
I understand the concern, but I really think your fear is overstated. The process is no different from resetting the date, other than the need to copy a different file to the flash card, and deleting it when done.

I think the problems some people have mentioned here might be related to pressing the buttons for too long or too quickly after powering up the camera to flash in the firmware. Just about all that have manged to hang up after the flashing have been revived.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Anyone bought a jumbo #11 recently? Where'd you get it from? Can someone vouch for the sellers listed in post #1? I looked at a #11 from eletoponline and the history said only 1 had been sold
govt_chees is offline Find More Posts by govt_chees
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by govt_chees View Post
Anyone bought a jumbo #11 recently? Where'd you get it from? Can someone vouch for the sellers listed in post #1? I looked at a #11 from eletoponline and the history said only 1 had been sold
The sellers are all vouched for or they would not be on the list! Look at their feedback history for indication of their reliability. Each time an ad is placed, the "count" of number sold goes with the ad, I think. New ads are started all the time for some reason, so they start out showing "0 sold". That seller has sold many hundreds of old and #11 808 cameras by now.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Fletcher View Post
I'm a Mac user with QuickTime Pro. I could take a look at, if you like. Tony Fletcher.
Hi Tony,

The corrupt file can be downloaded by anyone who wants to try to recover it at this link.

Note: The download page is a little "cluttered" with a couple un-related download buttons, so be sure to click on the MOV filename with the flashing red arrow next to it to get the corrupt file.

Thanks.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 05, 2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:42 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
I felt just as you do the 1st couple times.. but it was really simple and well worth it so next time i recommend you ask your vendor to do it before it's shipped,.. ask a friend that has one if he can show you, or read the directions a couple times 1st then go slow,..and don't panic.. if at 1st it doesn't succeed.. just try again..they're bullet proof IF there is nothing else wrong .. but make sure of that 1st.. re-format and test the card and be sure you know how to use the cam to shoot video well, it should behave properly before trying to flash it.. use the Nr11Timeset util too, that will help get the right time on your files BEFORE you clear it off the video display. I think a lot of folks that dive in, but really are not as familiar with the basics cause it's a new toy, so get in trouble as they try doing it right off the bat, or else.. they don't WAIT long enough once the new file is loaded in the real root directory ..for the AMBER LED to come on ince pressed.. before pressing ON again.. hitting ON multiple times too early ... perhaps that can cause it to trash the update.. dunno but I have done it a dozen times and not had a failure that persisted.. JimS Good Luck .. let us know if you change your mind and pull the trigger..don't forget to delete the timeset.txt when done either
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Jul 05, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:58 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Hi Tony,

The corrupt file can be downloaded by anyone who wants to try to recover it at this link.

Note: The download page is a little "cluttered" with a couple un-related download buttons, so be sure to click on the MOV filename with the flashing red arrow next to it to get the corrupt file.

Thanks.
Tom,
I'd like to try help you fixit.. but off the top know of no corrupted .mov fixit utility for a Win PC either.. one would think that all the info needed to start playing any .mov or AVI would need to be present and written Ok at the Beginning of the file itself .. but when I have had issues, (say the plane landed in the water, or the cam battery died) after a normal recording start.. I never had any luck recovering the saved portion of the file later either... Does anyone know the .mov file format spec? what does a player really need to start playing the file anyway? JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Closed Thread