HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2014, 09:25 PM
Houston. .we have a problem.
United Kingdom, England
Joined Aug 2008
981 Posts
In that case, apologize for my misunderstanding.

I'm only passing on the info I was told.

Here's a question, if it was a simple disconnection of the antenna, how is it that when connecting a wifi antenna, there was only a usable range of 10 metres, if the gain of the antenna had nothing to do with the variables involved? If the antenna was actually not connected at all (due to the lack of central conductor connection), surely there would not have been a usable range of anything like 10 metres?

In addition, my home wifi normally only has a range of around 10 metres, with its standard low-gain antenna (according to the instruction manual) yet if I screw in an "ultra high gain 12db antenna" (that's how they're marketed, by the way, if you google "ultra high gain antanna", they're all there, although I personally suspect the "ultra" reference is a marketing ploy as commonly only low & high gain antennas are referred to according to my own understanding ), suddenly I get about 150 metres range, with no other hardware changes other than different antennas with different gain values?
FOX ONE! is offline Find More Posts by FOX ONE!
Last edited by FOX ONE!; Aug 10, 2014 at 09:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2014, 09:43 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,572 Posts
See my comments in the text.

Hope this makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX ONE! View Post
In that case, apologize for my misunderstanding.

I'm only passing on the info I was told.

Here's a question, if it was a simple disconnection of the antenna, how is it that when connecting a wifi antenna, there was only a usable range of 10 metres, if the gain of the antenna had nothing to do with the variables involved?

The issue is not the antenna but the connector. The connector used by the Quanum has the internal "live" pin on the aerial side and an internal "live" socket on the Quanum transmitter side. Most (all?) WiFi antennas are opposite and have have the pin on the modem and socket on the aerial. The rest of the connecter including the screw connection is identical. So if you screw a modem WiFi aerial on the Quanum transmitter it fits perfectly but there is in fact no connection between the Quanum and the aerial since there are two sockets inside the connector - and they never touch. The usable range of 10 metres would have been exactly the same if no aerial at all was screwed on since it is just the RF radiation from the Quanum PC board traces.

In addition, my home wifi normally only has a range of 10 metres, with its standard low-gain antenna (according to the instruction manual) yet if I screw in an "ultra high gain 12db antenna" (that's how they're marketed, by the way), suddenly I get about 150 metres range, with no other hardware changes other than different antennas with different gain values?

That's because the high gain antenna is directional. What it does is change the radiation pattern from ball (omnidirectional) to a disk (highly directional -with more power in the flat disk and much less away from it). The TOTAL power of your WiFi router is unchanged since the antenna is unpowered and therefore passive with no amplification. It just changes the shape of the radiation pattern so more signal appears.

This is fine for WiFi since you can move the aerials around to maximise the signal strength of the path and in most cases the aerial is vertical so it broadcasts a flat horizontal disk which is what most ground based WiFi needs. Most bits of the network are all at roughly the same height so concentrating the signal into a flat disk makes sense.

That doesn't work with a plane flying around in 3 dimensions. The FPV guys who use passive higher gain transmitter antennas have to be very careful to orient them to get good signal strength because of this.

jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Aug 10, 2014, 09:51 PM
Houston. .we have a problem.
United Kingdom, England
Joined Aug 2008
981 Posts
OK, got it, Thanks.
FOX ONE! is offline Find More Posts by FOX ONE!
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:35 PM
Joined May 2012
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccies View Post
For two (equal in performance) of 3S Lipo's in series
Use this :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9910

connect it like this and plug to balancer can go to quanum :
Do u have any drawing like that for connecting 2s and 3s balancer as 5s
thanks
paktazh is offline Find More Posts by paktazh
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:55 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,572 Posts
Like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paktazh View Post
Do u have any drawing like that for connecting 2s and 3s balancer as 5s
thanks
Old Oct 04, 2014, 01:15 AM
Joined May 2012
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Like this.
Thanks but i need to make only the balance wire i have a 3s and 2s which i already made a series cable for them but now need to make a balance wire so i can connect one to 2s and the other one to 3s
Old Oct 04, 2014, 04:53 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,572 Posts
Like this.

Just make sure you get the polarity correct.
Quote:
Thanks but i need to make only the balance wire i have a 3s and 2s which i already made a series cable for them but now need to make a balance wire so i can connect one to 2s and the other one to 3s
Old Oct 04, 2014, 12:51 PM
Joined May 2012
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Like this.

Just make sure you get the polarity correct.
thanks so r u saying that i can find a cable like that in Hobbyking i was looking could not find it any link that u may have for it
thanks
Old Oct 04, 2014, 04:52 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,572 Posts
I do not know of any ready made cable like this. You would have to make your own by soldering it.
You cut up a 5S a 2S and a 3 S balance extension cable and join like the diagram.
Quote:
thanks so r u saying that i can find a cable like that in Hobbyking i was looking could not find it any link that u may have for it
thanks