AH, true flyers when you can laugh at the devistation!!!!!!!!!!!:
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:06 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,408 Posts
Yeah I wish I would have had it filmed. It was spectacular!
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:47 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
3DMon, you cut that beautfiul fuse on your phlatty, now you need to mill out a wing on your MKIII! Hey, it only took jovian 10 hours

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:13 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarnacki View Post
3DMon, you cut that beautfiul fuse on your phlatty, now you need to mill out a wing on your MKIII! Hey, it only took jovian 10 hours

- Jeff
I could but I have other plans.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:45 PM
Little Rock, arkansas
Joined Nov 2010
139 Posts
motor mount mod

Ok... I may be making a mistake.. but I love those little stick mounts for foamies. Less than 2 dollars and it makes it really easy to swap out motors when I am experimenting. SO.... I went ahead and made a plywood doubler for the firewall.. but I also made a plywood doubler for the horizontal brace as well. I cut a slot in the firewall the width of the stick mount, Cut off about an inch from the mount... Drilled some pilot holes and screwed the mount into the horizontal brace with the plywood. It seems fairly solid with just a minor amount of added weight. And this will allow for me to easily swap out motors. Anyone see any problems with this set up?
wlrman36 is offline Find More Posts by wlrman36
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:21 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,408 Posts
Cool. The only thing you might have a problem with is battery placement. On certain power setups the battery gets placed right up against the firewall.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:28 PM
Little Rock, arkansas
Joined Nov 2010
139 Posts
I was thinking about that. But I read several places that the electronics need to be as far forward as possible to help with the CG... perhaps this setup will allow the electronics to be a little more centrally located.... I have over 20 different batteries from 2s 420 to 3s 3200 mah... I feel fairly certain I can find a power setup that will balance out..(fingers crossed)
Old Jan 02, 2011, 09:19 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
I have those too, and thought about doing the same thing. In the end, I decided to keep the flat battery tray to allow me as much flexibility as possible in battery placement for balance.I did cut a notch right behind the motor mount, so I can reach a pair of needlenose in to hold the mount nuts when I want to dismount the motor.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:39 PM
Joined Dec 2009
38 Posts
By far one of the best lil fomies ive made! i love this lil ripper! mine seems to be super durable even though i made it out of depron not epp. Ive crashed mine nose in the ground at full throttle and just picked it up wiped off the grass and threw it back out! (of course when i got home i glued up the motor mount a little more because it got loose) I love this little plane! If your looking for something small and aerobatic this is the one! a great 3d trainer too!
joshuablume is offline Find More Posts by joshuablume
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:59 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
I hate waiting for my motors to come! I want to fly mine!
helivsFMX is offline Find More Posts by helivsFMX
Old Jan 06, 2011, 04:36 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Wirman36,
Maybe you could add another foam plate on top of the mount stick,sort of sandwich the stick. This would give you a flat plate to mount your battery velcro, and more flexibility.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:09 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuablume View Post
By far one of the best lil fomies ive made! i love this lil ripper! mine seems to be super durable even though i made it out of depron not epp. Ive crashed mine nose in the ground at full throttle and just picked it up wiped off the grass and threw it back out! (of course when i got home i glued up the motor mount a little more because it got loose) I love this little plane! If your looking for something small and aerobatic this is the one! a great 3d trainer too!
Awesome! I love hearing comments like this. I'm glad your enjoying the Lil' Ripper.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 03:28 PM
Little Rock, arkansas
Joined Nov 2010
139 Posts
Ezglider... Im at work right now, but I will take pics later... I really think I have enough room for the batteries I plan to use...I have the Fuse/Wings painted and everything together. Slight mishap with the satin gloss from the can(I forgot it eats FFF.) I have some spackling that I intend to use once EVERYTHING is together. then one final coat. I am also building "The Twins" AND I decided I would rather build a SCRATCH built Slow Stick. Needless to say... I need another build table.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:32 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Wow,3Dmon, activity on this thread sure has picked up lately. Guess more folks are seeing what a nice-flyin' little plane you designed! Can't wait to build the 40, but I'm too busy with my "Bumblebee" right now.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:33 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Joshuablume?

Got Pics?