SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2013, 03:10 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,160 Posts
Hi Fboy,

Sorry, I kinda knew that was the response I'd get.
I'll shut up now!

Cheers,
-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Last edited by Fugitive_Bill; Nov 01, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2013, 03:22 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
842 Posts
Bill,

No need for you to apologize, IMO what you posted is correct and you also told him to disregard if he wished to. Breaking up these long posts does make them much easier to read.

I also noticed that Flboy broke up two sentences.....lol

Have a good one....and keep smiling....
Brner is online now Find More Posts by Brner
Old Nov 01, 2013, 04:41 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flboy286 View Post
Wow, do you ever write to publishers telling them how to paragraph their pages????
That shouldn't be necessary as they should be using professional editors. As a writer you can haggle over how all or parts of your writing are presented but the publisher has the last say.

Editors don't always know as much about a subject that you might be writing about and you might have to "correct" their corrections. It helps if you can quote sources to back-up your argument. (Been there, done that.)

If your comment refers to magazine layout and magazine editors, then a lot could be improved at times. At times it appears that they've got some new kid to do it and someone who hasn't been taught the trade.

Typos - we all make them.

Bixler (I presume mandatory that word be in a message on this forum thread) - about 2 weeks before I get back home to fly mine and in the meantime I'm just throwing a "flat-pack" (Dart-XS) I put together into the air.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Nov 02, 2013, 04:50 AM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
United States, FL, Volusia County
Joined May 2013
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Hi Fboy,

Sorry, I kinda knew that was the response I'd get.
I'll shut up now!

Cheers,
-B!
Hi Bill ~ Sorry for sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong.

John
flboy286 is offline Find More Posts by flboy286
Last edited by flboy286; Nov 02, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2013, 01:23 PM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
One or two words and out of here , headed to Branson for Veterans Week.
I like to build and fly RC.. As far as my 12 th grade education in my small Kansas school, many years ago. Just glad that I was able to make a living and support the family and serve my country in the Military
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined May 2013
1,513 Posts
Clevis needed

Hey guys ~ I crashed the other day, causing the horizontal stabilizer to snap off(already repaired). But unfortunately the elevator clevis broke and Banana Hobby has them on backorder.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement clevis?

Oh yea, this is for a Sky Surfer V5.

John
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:23 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,145 Posts
Hi John
I use these nipple links on lots of my models as is no need to worry if the screw thread is correct. The brass hole can be drilled out a little if the control rod is tight.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clevis-Nip...-/160878993573
Try searching for US sites to see if you can find a stockist
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:31 PM
Joined Mar 2013
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flboy286 View Post
Hey guys ~ I crashed the other day, causing the horizontal stabilizer to snap off(already repaired). But unfortunately the elevator clevis broke and Banana Hobby has them on backorder.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement clevis?

Oh yea, this is for a Sky Surfer V5.

John
Hi flboy286,

We have the clevises and push rods available for the flaps. I understand that you need the clevises for the elevator but these will work just fine and you will have a spare set of push rods for your flaps. Please see the link below.

http://www.bananahobby.com/push-rods...1511-prd1.html

-Renee
BH CSR Renee is offline Find More Posts by BH CSR Renee
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:46 PM
Joined May 2013
1,513 Posts
Andy & Renee,

Thanks for your input!!!

John
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:49 PM
Australia, NSW, Balgowlah Heights
Joined May 2013
413 Posts
also Hobbyking.com have a large range.
farrari is online now Find More Posts by farrari
Old Nov 07, 2013, 07:04 AM
Joined May 2013
1,513 Posts
Renee @ Banana Hobby helped me get the correct clevis for the V5.

Thanks again to all for your input!!!
Old Nov 08, 2013, 12:46 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Hey everyone, haven't been on this thread in ages. I just took my Sky Surfer v4 out of retirement, it's still in great shape and I converted it into an FPV platform. I'll post some pics and specs when I get home. Haven't flown it yet, hopefully the weather will be nice this weekend for my FPV maiden.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Forgot to take pics of my setup, but my first FPV flights were a success. All up weight is up by about 7oz, without OSD , which is now 43oz or about 1.2 kg for the non American folks. I was really afraid that my wing-loading would be too high and that I'd have lost my greater than 1:1 thrust ratio, but it flies fine! Hats off to my man Dan of Microdan, and the 2700kv gems of his I own. I figured that the 2510-2700 motor on my SS was only putting out about 40 oz of thrust with an APC 6x4 Sport, but since I still have unlimited vertical, I'll bump that up to around 50oz . Simply amazing performance for a 3S setup. Anyhow here is my current setup, will edit with pics when I get around to it.

Model: SS ver. 4
ESC: Turnigy Trust 70 amp (excessive, but they didn't have a 60 in stock at the time)
Receiver: Spektrum AR8000 w/satellite w/o TM1000 crap
Motor: Microdan 2510-2700kv (I LOVE this motor)
Prop: APC 6x4 Sport
Flight Battery: Turnigy Nano-Tech 2.2 Amp Hour 3S 35C
Video Battery: Turnigy Nano-Tech 1.0 Amp Hour 3S 25C
Servos (surfaces): 4x HXT900s (still running great after almost 2 years)
Servos (pan/tilt): 2x Turnigy MG90s, need some 180 deg digitals, resolution too low for pan/tilt
Camera: Sony Super HAD 2 CCD
Video Transmitter: Fatshark 250mW 5.8 GHz
Antennas: Hand crafted cloverleaf and spw.

Mods:
1. CA hinges on all control surfaces
2. Custom depron FPV pod with pan/tilt mount and camera shell
3. Heavily carbon reinforced fuselage
4. Side access panel to aid in installation of FPV gear and OSD later
5. Customized motor mount and tail boom to accommodate motor
6. Braided/twisted power and video cables for EMI resistance
7. Shaped ping pong ball transmitter antenna shell, also acts as a tail skid
8. Shaved about 2 oz of weight where I could. decals, excess tape, foam, etc
Old Nov 11, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysbrother View Post
Scottc39. There's good and bad news to report. Flew the V5 today with the stock folder prop that comes with it. It took full throttle to get it in the air but it flew and was doing fairly well once up there, then at about 20 feet off the ground one of the folders halves flew off its mount and the sudden imbalance caused the V5 motor to rip off its motor mount and crash the plane. Other than toasting the motor and some slight nose damage, the plastic nose cover was a savior. That's something you don't usually find on similar planes of this type so that's a plus for the V5 and one of the reasons I chose it over the AXN and Bixler. The minus is the poor motor mount design of the V5 - but then again no mount would have survived half a prop imbalance at these revs. That said, there are comments in this thread about problems with the V5s motor mount which are valid so I plan to saturate that area with extra epoxy when I put everything back together with a new mount.

The kit version of the V5 comes with a 1950KV motor but it really looks and feels like very poor quality. Now that it was destroyed by the events of today I will replace it with something much better.

The problem is the V5 mount area was designed for a 26mm dia motor of which it is next to impossible to find a replacement. But putting back the stock motor is asking for more trouble so I'm going to replace it with a 28mm dia motor - of which there are many to pick from - by finding a way to carve out some foam without compromising the mount area too much. I think I've found a great 1950KV 200+ watt choice at epbuddyrc.com that calls out the apc 6 x 4 as one of its recommended choices so that's a plus. However, more air speed is not what I need but assuming the motor mount area can take it, these changes will hopefully do the trick.
More air speed than what? I don't know what the v5 uses stock, but it's probably a 5x5, which should have substantially higher pitch speed than a 6x4 having both more pitch and by virtue of it weighing less and having less momentum. If you need more thrust, you need a larger diameter prop, which a 6x4 has.

Thrust increases exponentially with propeller diameter and only linearly with pitch. If you think of thrust as being directly related to the volume of air you're moving per revolution, increasing diameter increases this volume much faster than pitch.

What you have right now is plenty of pitch speed and not enough thrust. As well as a clearly underworking motor at only 10A. A 6x4 should get your full throttle current up to 18-20A and thust over 20oz.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:56 AM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined May 2013
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
More air speed than what? I don't know what the v5 uses stock, but it's probably a 5x5, which should have substantially higher pitch speed than a 6x4 having both more pitch and by virtue of it weighing less and having less momentum. If you need more thrust, you need a larger diameter prop, which a 6x4 has.

Thrust increases exponentially with propeller diameter and only linearly with pitch. If you think of thrust as being directly related to the volume of air you're moving per revolution, increasing diameter increases this volume much faster than pitch.

What you have right now is plenty of pitch speed and not enough thrust. As well as a clearly underworking motor at only 10A. A 6x4 should get your full throttle current up to 18-20A and thust over 20oz.
I was not 100% correct in my observation of the V5 when I wrote that post.

The issue I was having at the time was with hand launching the V5. It would drop like a rock within 10-20 feet of a toss. As a noob I thought it was me so I had some very experienced flyers try and they needed their extensive skill set to pull it up and get it airborne each time. Not a no brainer by no means.

The V5 does have adequate power once in the air - although nothing to right home about - but I went about trying to mod it to give it more than the 100 -120watts it uses as stock to solve the lanuch problem. One of the major things that surprised me about the 5 is how much heavier it is vs similar pushers - like an AXN or Easy Star or Bixler and others. For the most part it does not take much to launch the other types as they tend to pull away and climb with a reasonable push. Not so with the 5 in my experience. The best results came when giving it a slight up angle and trying my best to keep it from dipping and touching the ground until its speed got to a point where it starts to gain altitude. BTW, in case your wondering, I tried things like throttle to elv mixing and such with limited success. It's just too heavy, relative to its lift, which made it a task to launch easily.

I doubt the stock folder prop is 5x5 but whatever it is its poorly made and looking for an excuse to come apart - which it did on my second flight. I tried different pushers but eventually settled on an APC 6 x 4.

Originally I set out to replace the motor with something more substantial, and reliable, but it's near impossible to find a 26mm size motor with the shaft coming out the side required by the 5's motor mount, at 2000+KV. As a result I was forced to carve out the mount cavity to get a 28mm size to fit. However, that didn't net the improvement I was looking for so I ultimately settled with the V5 stock motor with the 6 x 4. With that combo the power draw doubled to 200+ watts and hand launch improved, but it was still lacking.

Through all this I discovered the real problem that there is a compromise between using too much power at launch, due to the substantial down thrust of the motor angle, and enough speed to gain altitude. In other words, gunning the motor full blast was part of my problem but I did not pick up on it at first - especially when looking over my shoulder at the easier time the others were having launching their belly landers.

I have not flown the 5 in a while but plan to get back in to it again. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully mounted a replacement motor on the outside surface of the motor mount - like a Bixler etc - and if so, did it have an adverse affect on the down thrust? I assume it would require some kind of universal motor mount from HK to adapt it to the mount. This would significantly widen the choice of qualified motors plus allow for the use of a 6x 4 prop without having to carve out a notch in the fuse to allow it to fit.

BTW - in the end I got tired of all the hand launch drama and fitted my 5 with a Bixler landing gear mod from HK. It can sometimes be a bit squirrelly keeping it going straight on runway grass but it worked.
bobbysbrother is online now Find More Posts by bobbysbrother