HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:58 PM
Laugh NOT at King Tupitos
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,712 Posts
Question
Should I Seal a Balsa Airplane frame ?

I am at a point where I could seal my airframe and not worry about moisture warpage. But I do not know if I really need to seal up the frame to keep it dry from humidity.
I am considering a light coat of Varathane to seal it. The covering will seal the outside, I am talking about the inside of the fuse and wings.

CH
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop
I am at a point where I could seal my airframe and not worry about moisture warpage. But I do not know if I really need to seal up the frame to keep it dry from humidity.
I am considering a light coat of Varathane to seal it. The covering will seal the outside, I am talking about the inside of the fuse and wings.

CH
It's been my experience with wood working that a light coat of anything doesn't prevent moisture penetration in wood. It usually takes several applications of a fairly thick outer coating (paint, sealer, varnish, etc) to prevent moisture from working itself into the wood.

Just my observations

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:22 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,712 Posts
Is the weight worth it ?

CH
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:28 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,333 Posts
?Hey now,
Not if you're going to use varathane. Way too heavy. you could however use nitrate dope, hader to find these days, but very light and moisture resistant.
Of course if you don't live in a swamp or fly in fog all the time you shouldn't really need it.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:20 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,712 Posts
It's sort of foggy and misty in the mornings here from spring through mid July. That's why I asked. I remember seeing some models at the club that were sealed with something, sort of yellowish.

CH
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:24 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
As long as you let the plane sit after each flight then you shouldn't need any coatings. I've flown my MM Slipso sport pylon racer, uncovered/unglassed (bare balsa frame) in fog just about each time I flew it (30 times or so) and didn't notice any rotting or anything.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
A month or so back, I flew my Lil'Squirt over wet lawns, and moisture from the grass got into the balsa. There was clearly some deformation of the balsa as a result -- mostly in the spars and top surface of one of the wings.

Most of the bending went away when the wood dried, but some remains. It hasn't affected the plane's performance, as far as I can tell. If I wanted this plane to look perfect and stay that way, I might have sealed it, but then again, that would have added weight. Lightness is more important than good looks.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:51 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop
Is the weight worth it ?

CH
Generally no, its not worth the weight.

There have been 40 to 70 year old models found stored in attics with good frameworks. Usually the ancient tissue-dope or silk-dope covering has shattered.

I have seen some 25+ year old monokote covered planes that the structure was fine, but usually the covering has turned brittle when its that old.

You are practically guaranteed for the "shelf paper" grade ARF covering to have shrunk and become very brittle after 15 years. Sometimes as little as 2 years...

It doesn't take much attention to storage for the wood structure to survive a LONG time. Just don't let it get wet. The covering will be the first thing to fail if there's been no fuel soaking.

Humidity changes that don't produce mold generally don't do damage to balsa. Might warp the frame a bit but you can steam it straight.

That lil Squirt can easilly be steamed straight again.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:47 AM
Joined Sep 2006
8,712 Posts
Wet warping the fuselage sheeting got me concerned. Sounds like most people do not see a problem with bare internal balsa.

CH
Old Jun 17, 2009, 06:27 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,888 Posts
This old sucker is 44 yrs old and is as straight now as it was when I built it. Top Flite Hustler.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:46 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
This old sucker is 44 yrs old and is as straight now as it was when I built it. Top Flite Hustler.

Gord.
Nice

How many re-coverings?
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:22 AM
S.E. Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
844 Posts
If I'm covering with tissue, silk, polyspan or litespan, I give the frame work a couple or three coats of clear dope. I use Sig Lite-coat.

If I'm covering with any kind of plastic film I do not dope anything (except around the engine where you might want fuel proofing).

I've never had too much trouble with warping afet the plane was completed. I live in S.E. Michigan. We don't get the kind of humidity that some places do but it sure isn't dry around here either!
Lost_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by Lost_Dawg
Old Jun 17, 2009, 05:51 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,888 Posts
Up until about 15 yrs ago, the Hustler was covered with Silkspan and dope, then covered with Monocote. K&B 21 DF motor up front. I should electrify it.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 18, 2009, 04:33 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Wood needs to 'breathe' so just concentrate on getting a good covering on the outside with no gaps to let moisture in. If you seal both the inside AND outside then if any moisture does get in it has no means of drying out and it will rot the wood...saw many a wooden model boat hull which had been sealed inside and out suffer in this way.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jun 18, 2009, 05:33 AM
Joined Sep 2006
8,712 Posts
It's been about 80*F lately, so I'm building it with the window open and under the average humidity. So maybe in winter when it dries up some, it may shift some, but the gamble is on it returning to where it was in summer.

CH