Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 03, 2014, 03:42 PM
Co-heir with Christ
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined Feb 2013
130 Posts
Discussion
5 mile range FPV plane... Help an FPV noob out.

I have, in my garage, a 100" wingspan Stinson Reliant. I want to do some FPV but just like anything else totally new to me, I don't know where to even start.
I'm not looking for a full on design plan ( though if you want to spend the time, I won't stop you ) but just a bit of a starting direction would be greatly appreciated.
I've heard of needing UHF frequencies... But I am new so any info you would like to put in will be beneficial.
Thanks, Dan.
Dcope17 is offline Find More Posts by Dcope17
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2014, 04:23 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,069 Posts
Well since you start by "I heard.." and didn't read/look much about anything, your best place to begin is reading the sticky treads on this forum. You'll learn about video frequencies, RC control frequencies that play nice with FPV, airframes and such.

IBCrazy did a wonderfull job, as well as others, to put the basics in clear format. Check this out, and come back with a bit more specific questions and we will gladly help you out.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Old Jun 03, 2014, 04:24 PM
United States, IL, Winthrop Harbor
Joined Apr 2013
88 Posts
Yes, you will need UHF if you want to go 5 miles out, but you will NOT have success if you shoot for that right off the bat. Read the sticky "10 things I wish I knew when starting in FPV" or whatever it's called.

Start small. Start simple.

If you fly a 2.4ghz radio, get a 200mw tx in 5.8ghz or 1.2ghz, a receiver, cloverleaf antennas and a camera. That's all you need to start. Run it off a separate battery, and put the tx as far away from your flight receiver as you can to avoid interference. Then go fly. A lot. And when you're super confident, then buy the next piece.

That's my 2 cents anyway.
JakeFrmStateFarm is online now Find More Posts by JakeFrmStateFarm
Old Jun 03, 2014, 11:47 PM
Co-heir with Christ
Joined Feb 2013
130 Posts
Watched half the videos... They explain a LOT.
Thanks for steering me in the right direction.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 08:41 AM
United States, IL, Winthrop Harbor
Joined Apr 2013
88 Posts
Definitely! People will always be around to help on the forum. Good luck!
JakeFrmStateFarm is online now Find More Posts by JakeFrmStateFarm
Old Jun 04, 2014, 08:52 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
Dcope - Remember to start small. Start simple, then grow into long range. Upgrading is simply adding equipment or changing antennas. Basic equipment are the building blocks and never becomes obsolete.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2014, 08:57 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcope17 View Post
Watched half the videos... They explain a LOT.
Thanks for steering me in the right direction.
Great ! Do your homework, and we will all be glad to help.

One thing the videos don't tell: FPV is addictive ! It needs time to be put in reading and understanding it, but when all is done, it is SO MUCH FUN
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2014, 09:11 AM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
1,976 Posts
I actually have some of my FPV planes set up so they could fly ten miles, easily. And yet, I rarely venture past 2-3 miles. I find the most fun FPV'ing around interesting landscapes and views and obstacles and so on. And usually, I can set up my groundstation within a mile or two (or much less, even) and just head over and fly.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Jun 04, 2014, 09:38 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,069 Posts
Yea I too do most of my flying within a mile or two. Low between trees is my favorite and now with the mini quad it is within yards of me. Long range goals are still nice once in a while tough. Very stressfull flights when you begin long range, not for noobs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2014, 09:33 PM
Co-heir with Christ
Joined Feb 2013
130 Posts
I plan to go out to the desert... plenty of room to explore there.
Old Jun 05, 2014, 01:56 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Yea I too do most of my flying within a mile or two. Low between trees is my favorite and now with the mini quad it is within yards of me. Long range goals are still nice once in a while tough. Very stressfull flights when you begin long range, not for noobs.
I've just ventured into the world of mini-quads, and on 4s!! I'm loving it hey! As you say, I haven't flown out past about 200m yet as it's just not necessary when your flying something so small yet as stable as a full size quad!!

I tried FPV'ing the smaller ones like the Blade mQX and it was so unstable I didn't like it one bit but my new HoverShip mini-H is more stable than any of my bigger quads I've built and it's running an old KK2.0 FC!!

But as for longer range fixed wing I've just stepped up into 1.3ghz gear along side my old Rangelink and am enjoying that and have a goal flying achieve by the end of June which is to get out to 5klm's as the furthest I've flown yet is 3.5klm's and that was on 5.8ghz 200mW so the 5klm on this new gear should be child's play especially considering I've got a nice shiny new crosshair to test this Saturday hopefully!! I may just hit that 5klm mark this weekend!!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman