HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2013, 08:35 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
aha ....

I finally figured out why the tips [and length] of Kiki's long tail feathers describe ovals when he is flying FAST and doing abrupt flight corrections:

since he steers by pushing harder with one wing -- and since like ALL birds his wing motion is this "aerowing" -- the long tail feathers are forced to oscillate in sympathy with
the harder-"rowing" wing!

I assume both aerodynamic [vortex] and mechanical induction for this phenominon. Further, as I have noticed this in videos of other birds with long tail-feathers, I might guess that this is also a kind of visual warning, etc., of such abrupt flight-direction change.

Or it could have no meaning, just what happens ....

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2013, 06:27 AM
North London ENGLAND
Joined Dec 2006
1,644 Posts
The comments about Kiki interesting to me, having seen a budgie flying in company with a group of Swifts flying around houses at very high speed, and screaming with delight at the same time, actually looked to be faster than the swifts at some times; and they are QUICK! I suppose it had escaped from somewhere, wonder how it got on when Winter came.
macboffin is offline Find More Posts by macboffin
Old Dec 18, 2013, 07:11 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macboffin View Post
The comments about Kiki interesting to me, having seen a budgie flying in company with a group of Swifts flying around houses at very high speed, and screaming with delight at the same time, actually looked to be faster than the swifts at some times; and they are QUICK! I suppose it had escaped from somewhere, wonder how it got on when Winter came.
There was, maybe still is, a large park outside Köln/D, I think, where "escaped" Budgies are brought. There were/are many Budgies and similar birds living wildly there. The environment in the Australian Outback, to which these birds are adapted, is extremely harsh: I was told if these former "house-birds" survive the first Gerrman winter outdoors, they can have a long life ....

Lee

P.S. Kiki has had many chances to "escape", and he likes adventure and flying, but he knows me like I was his flock, and thus important for his survival. And we ARE very good friends.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 07:45 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
up in the air, Junior Birdman ...

.... up in the air, upside down

Kiki did an incomplete loop when we were videoing him piloting* his Flying Carpet [freeflight landings and longer tethered flights]. He did one complete circle inverted, re-balancing and re-stabilizing it to everyone's amazement, then recovered by half-looping upright again.

In the next days we found that he can easily keep it inverted and even do horizontal eights! But several times he has partially lost his grip and had to "flap" to get back in position. For his whole life he has been able to "flap" around a perching stick to make a 360° flip around the stick. But in the Flying Carpet case he was unusually redirecting his lift/thrust vector --- on ONE wing only, the "outside" one, to counter the centripetal force -- in a very not-normal but obviously functionally correct way.

So I must conclude that my [fullsize] helicopter rotor-blade analogy,. re: Aerowing [or whatever one wishes to call what birds actually do] is even more pertinent as I might have supposed.

And the birds figured out these complex movements quite a few years before Mr. Sikorsky.**

leaky
[Lee + Kiki]

*it is unstable and requires skills he'saquired with 2yrs. of hanggliding experience

**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Sikorsky
Old Dec 22, 2013, 07:48 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
and this cool video shows how much fwd & back movement is involved in "Aerowing" >

seagull round up Ornithopter style (4 min 37 sec)
Old Dec 27, 2013, 04:52 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
kingly aerowing

Pied Kingfisher catching fish in split second - BBC wildlife (2 min 47 sec)