HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:12 PM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,391 Posts
Discussion
Flying wing

Yet another incarnation of my Planktastic design. This time as a small 10" balsa model.

It's trimmed for right circles but the prop is reversed (I found winding in reverse awkward so I made the reverse prop in order to wind normally). Which means that it's turning with the torque as usual.

To counter the torque I increased the up elevon on the outer (left) wing. I also tilted the wing to the right which I hoped would keep it turning right as the torque winds down. Not sure if it works but I'm having good results so far.

It started out as a tractor but the side area of the prop made it highly unstable. Tried adding bigger and bigger tail fin but it didn't help much. Changing it to a pusher made it fly better.

Here's a video of a flight at tonight's session:

Indoor rubber powered flying wing (0 min 58 sec)
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:12 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,444 Posts
thats really cool, looks like it flies good
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk