HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Discussion
help/identify, are any of the parts usable?

got this a couple years ago. took it to a rc shop and the guy just insisted over and over that it was junk because it was old. he gave no other explanation why then tried telling me i could just leave it with him instead of throwing it away lol. the only markings on it i could find are revolution and hoverstar and the engine is an OS max fx 40. i don't think i would trust a few of the parts on it for safety reasons such as the rubber between the rotor's is pretty dry but wondering if the rest of the parts (servo's,gyro,...) could be used on a new kit helli? the engine dont look like it has hardly any time on it. its dusty but other than that? i dont know much.
airewolf is offline Find More Posts by airewolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:25 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
Not in a heli but will be fine in a .40 trainer airplane.
The engine is the same i have for years and its NOT a dedicated heli engine and will not work in any current heli.
It does not have the bigger cooling head heli engines have.
Its a great engine with a 10*6 prop on it.
Servo's look like the common standard (analog plastic gear / no ball bearing) and again are not good for current helies but work fine in a .40 trainer plane.

The gyro is a mechanical unit that is heavy and uses a lot of power.
Even a 10 usd hobbyking gyro will outperform it.

check http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/f63p1/ there are people who might be looking for old parts and could be willing to trade.

If you try to fly this one then once you crash there are no spare parts easy available anymore.

So in short some parts usable yes but not in a heli
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
thanks Cmulder, so i could probably use the engine and servo's on a trainer plane. this is kinda what i had in mind. either that or sell what i can to help fund a first heli. i really appreciate the reply. the guy that owned the hobby shop i went to was so condescending to my family and i that i got discouraged from the hobby for awhile but i cant kick the addiction lol. Any suggestion's on a trainer?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:03 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
tower hobbies traner

i have the same engine as you have there in a
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXCAS2
using a master airscrew 10*6 prop

The plane itself is good.
A few changes out of personal preference;
The pushrods have been changed to
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFU92&P=ML
so that it all runs smoother.
Only for the rudder throttle and nose wheel ; the elevator is a straight line rod so the stiff included metal one is fine there.
When you set the plane up you must be able to move the rudder and elevator verry smooth where they connect to the servo.
But also the pushrod should be stiff enough so you can move the servo from the elevator / rudder (not really good for the servo though)
If the rudder pushrod flexes at the rudder you can pust a small bit of metal wire in it to make it stiff up to a inch before where it enters the fuse.
Also you can reuse the outer tube for the rudder (leave it in place) so only use the yellow rod part itself ; do a dry fit and you see what i mean.

I had to sand the wing joiner a bit down to make it fit smooth; so make sure you dry fit the wings and they are snug up against each other at the center before adding 30 min epoxy glue.

if you fly from a grass field i recommend larger wheels
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=QDA&V=SUL
keep in mind you need 3

This is just your basic .40 trainer and you might be able to find a similar plane at your local shop. and all the improvements apply to other planes too.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:04 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
forgot to mention ; get a new receiver battery
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:50 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
im still deciding what im going to go with at this point. if i would like to get into heli's or planes. i think at this point a plane would be cheaper but i really like flying the toy heli that i have and would like to move up. your help was above and beyond what i was expecting and its very much appreciated.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:06 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
starter heli

Get a blade msr ; mine has been great and flown it for Manny hours..
Its relative cheap, no worries about weather and if you turn off the motor just before impact really durable .
Once you can fly that nose in , sideways backwards then you will have a head start with a fuel powered heli.

If you get 3/ 4 hyperion batteries then you can keep flying without waiting for batteries to charge.

for fuel heli i am a big fan of the raptor 30 heli ; mine is 12 year sold now and still flying well .
Not the most modern but reliable and good for training,

Once you mow the grass inverted with it moving up to a performance heli but before that it will be a waist of money.