HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:39 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
190 Posts
Discussion
Refurbing a "Euraka"

Hi all.

I have done some model work for a mate and he gave me this pattern ship so I can get back into pattern early next year.

It was designed and kit made by the South African Pattern master Andre Stockwell. It is called Eureka and flies on a .60 OS Max V and rear port Pipe.

It is a 1.7m size plane. I owned the 2 by 2m version of it smoe time back and managed a 2nd in my novoce class at the SA nationals.

The fuse was broken at the back and smoeone else repaired it. I will just fill and sand it to look a tad better.
Not really allot to do on the wings, just touch up the plastic film a bit here and there.The one tip of the horisontal stab needs some light woodwork , but that it basically that.

Theuns
T. van Vuuren is offline Find More Posts by T. van Vuuren
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:13 PM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
190 Posts
Hi all.
I have completed the finishing of the repair,paint on the fuselarge and just need to get a few nicks sorted in the film on the wings and tail.
I will also replace the retracts with a fixed carbon setup for simplicity.

Now I can start to replace the engine, tank end electronics in the fuse.It has to be back in the air by no later that mid Feb for the comp season.

Theuns
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:26 PM
United States, IL
Joined Dec 2011
83 Posts
Looks really good! Nice job on the paint.

I have a fuse that was given to me a long time ago and tried to identify it. Tried posting a what is it thread and no one could identify it. I do not have any wing/stab cores to go with it along with the plans. I'll half to dig it out again and post a picture of it as this IS the closest plane that looks like what I have.
tiporare is offline Find More Posts by tiporare
Last edited by tiporare; Jan 06, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:21 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
190 Posts
This plane was designed and built by the SouthAfrican national champ in the late 90's IIRC and I am lucky to live one city over from him so he can give me first hand tips on the trimming and setup, how cool it that! If that doesn't result in a nice flying plane I do not know what will.

Good luck with you project.

Theuns
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:46 PM
United States, IL
Joined Dec 2011
83 Posts
Here are 2 pictures of the fuse I have. It has the same outline as the Euraka but there are differences. I wonder if there was a earlier version???
tiporare is offline Find More Posts by tiporare
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:43 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
190 Posts
I think most of these pasttern planes look the same anyway LOL!
On mine there are no wingfillets and the rudder is a wooden one.
That one you have there should make a nice plane though.

I have been busy with other projects and the Eureka has taken a backseat for now.
Will post if there is anything worth while done to it

Theuns