HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:45 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
905 Posts
Discussion
2.6m Dorado or a 80" Voltij??

Need your guys help. Which plane should I get? Cost is the same, the wingspan different and the Dorado is carbon. I assume the Dorado would be stronger and also more durable on landings? I think the Voltij might be a bit more acrobatic? Don't know. They look to fly the same in the video's I have seen. Looks like the rudder might be bigger or the Voltij. Same building time? I know the Voltij is made for standard servos. Don't know what the Dorado can take.

Input welcome
Diceman89 is offline Find More Posts by Diceman89
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My used Voltij purchase!! :)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:55 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
Hi, I have a Voltij. I don't have a Dorado, but I did have a Vector III. I reckon the Dorado won't be a hundred miles away from the Vector in terms of style of flying, which is massively different to the Voltij IMO. The Voltij can be had with (or converted to) flaps, so landing is then fine. The Vj is a slower, precise, incredibly aerobatic machine. The Dorado is probably faster and more suited to huge, carving moves.

The Vj has wings which are 100% more durable than the average hollow-moulded wings (they are unique in that they are moulded around a very dense sort of "foam"). The Vj fuz is not all that strong, but that can be sorted with adequate formers when building. You can also get a 100% carbon version (which I have but wouldn't really recommend as I don't believe it's really "stronger" than the glass version). As for the Dorado, I personally don't think RCRCM know yet how to make strong fuzzes, but that's just my opinion for what it's worth...

Chris
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:59 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
Oh yes, as to building, the Vj is a MUCH more involved build. The factory doesn't even drill the fuz for the main wing and tail rod tubes, etc. . Lots of setting up home-made jigs etc......

Here's a vid of my Vj (sorry if you've seen it already ):
Voltij at Slieve Mish (2 min 41 sec)

Chris
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:10 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
905 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for the info. I read some descriptions on the Soaring USA site about the Dorado and it does have flaps and supposedly really easy to fly and acrobatic to boot. I hope someone chimes in how the build is on it as well. thanks for your tips on the Voltij build, I did not know that. The Dorado also comes in a glass version.

Does any one know the owner or a worker at Soaring USA that knows about the Dorado? I have had my heart set on a Voltij, but I just saw the Dorado and having second thoughts and might go with the Dorado. Maybe I will give them a call. LOL.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Diceman89; Sep 27, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:37 PM
User
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,575 Posts
I've emailed Bob at Soaring USA a few times and he's been extremely helpful - I believe that he's also the owner, so if he doesn't know the answer he'd know who on his team to ask. They seem to be a top notch group of people. bob@soaringusa.com
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman89 View Post
Need your guys help. Which plane should I get?
Input welcome
I have a Voltij & love it, but its not my most flown plane. It needs good lift to really get the best out of it (vids if you want them)

As always with "which plane should I get" threads - the real question is "what sort of flying do you want to do?"
Big, fast, carving aeros - go with the Dorado (*)
Very precise moves, with good knife edge ability & flick/spin ability - go with the Voltij

Both will break if you "land" them wrong - no amount of carbon will help that
Standard Voltij does not have flaps - spoileron landings are not the easiest - there is a flapped variant, or you can mod the standard to add flaps - if I was starting again I would do this - mine has wing mounted HS85mgs anyway

Have fun deciding!

Phil

(* EDIT - but big, fast, carving sort of flying can be done with lots of other planes too - F3F type ships in particular! )
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Last edited by Phil.Taylor; Sep 27, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:41 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Taylor View Post
(* EDIT - but big, fast, carving sort of flying can be done with lots of other planes too - F3F type ships in particular! )
That's a very good point!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:45 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
905 Posts
Thanks guys. I called and talked to Gary over at Soaring and talked with him about the Dorado. He says it is a real easy, precise, acrobatic plane to fly. Has real good retention and slower spins than, let's say, the Mini Vector (which I asked him to compare it to). The plane comes without instructions, but he said it is real easy to build. All the servo mounts are there, the hole is drilled for the elevator already, etc. where as the Voltij you have to cut into the wings for servos, etc. BTW the Voltij comes with or without flaps now, your choice, as per Tom at F3X. However it is only $25 cheaper without, LOL.

My flying style, hmm I definitely love aerobatics and want to get more heavy into it. I own a Alula, Weasel, Coyote, Speedo mark 2, zip22 and a Huron DLG (non-powered wise). I ordered a Le Fish also, but waiting for it still. Sounds like the way he described the plane is a graceful fully acrobatic very precise plane. Un like the Voltij, it will not fly inverted without some input. I think the Voltij is more of a flat wing? Sorry if I have the terminology wrong.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:50 PM
Semper Fidelis
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jul 2005
1,443 Posts
Love my Dorado. Yes, it can be flown very tight and precise. It's all in the setup and the one at the sticks. The build is very simple compared to the voltij. More wing too. Easily ballasted for some big wind. Of course the fuse could be stronger especially behind the saddle. There is a thread somewhere with a few builds.
Big Gas is offline Find More Posts by Big Gas
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:51 PM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
I've got both models. The Dorado was new and a straightforward build- the rudder needed a bit of "fettling" to give a good throw, which seems a common problem for other owners but no biggie.
The Dorado airfoil is identical to the TP42 but increased in thickness from 9% to 10% so responds well to camber changes which gives it a wide wind speed range.
The Dorado also comes with installed wing ballast tubes which (for me) are right on the c.g.

The Voltij I bought second hand and is built as per original instructions with full length "flapperons" with the servos in the fuselage.
Similar to the Dorado, the airfoil is designed for camber/reflex changes.

Both models are pretty slippery, hence sometimes making the Voltij more difficult to land, whereas the Dorado is easy with large flaps allowing helicopter landing in a stiff breeze.
Although the Dorado flies a bit faster than the Voltij I wouldn't go along with Chris in that there is "massive difference" between them.
The Voltij is more "fishy" than the Dorado, so is that bit easier to do knife edge type moves such as four point or really slow rolls.
Not much between the two regarding fuselage robustness- certainly no Wasabi problems!

If I was to pick only one, I'd go for the Dorado. Slightly larger, flaps for landing, ballast tube installed, cool modern shape and a joy to fly.

"Alligator Lizards in the air" (3 min 13 sec)
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:23 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
905 Posts
Awesome, thanks!

Cliffhanger, do have the carbon one, or the glass one? Any preference?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:16 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,607 Posts
Get a Voltij, fantastic aeroplane and a true classic.
Dorado, dare i say 'another chinese import'?
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:46 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
905 Posts
As far as know it is made by Rcrcm. Made here. Not a Chinese import. It has only been out for just over a year.

Great video. Cannot wait!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Diceman89; Sep 27, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:55 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,607 Posts
Check out my blog for some Voltij videos.
http://www.slopeflyer.org/?cat=15
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:15 PM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
"Dorado, dare i say 'another chinese import'?"

Ahh... here we go again with some pearls of wisdom from Jimbo.

Would you care to enlarge on that statement?
Have you ever seen a Dorado in the flesh- probably no
Have you ever flown a Dorado- no I thought not.

Hundreds of slopers worldwide are grateful for the Typhoon, Sunbird, Minivec, Strega, Tomcat etc that have come out of RCRCM.
They represent a wide range of models at reasonable prices. Ok there have been some quality issues, which seem to be fewer in number these days.
If RCRCM wasn't in existence, our choice of models would be a lot poorer.
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger