Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,425 Posts
Hi, 320.

I'm a little confused. Should your flight count s "thermal" or "slope"?
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,400 Posts
Well, I would call it thermal? At least that is what I launched to search for.
As it turned out, with the strong wind aloft, I found an area of lift along an East West line, about two miles downwind from this ridge line.

Every time I did even one circle in this "lift" the Pulsar got blown downwind big time. So I had to go into reflex mode to fly upwind again.

maybe it was some ridge wave soaring?. I was more than 1000" AGL most of the time, so not really slope soaring.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Sep 07, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,425 Posts
I got ya', 320.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:13 AM
I ain't afraid of no highs
Spain
Joined Jun 2008
459 Posts
Pilottube
Glider: radian 2m
Thermal: 2 meter E-Glider
Date and Time of flight: September 7, 14:10
Duration of flight: 17 min 09 secs, with 20sec motor run
Weather Conditions: Sunny, winds calm

I was just moving around and the plane rising, I got scared and moved the stick forward to try to descend, speed increased and I even heard a noise like if the motor was on, but it was just the plane. I've got to install spoilers or flaps in this plane.
pilottube is offline Find More Posts by pilottube
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:58 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,544 Posts
Nigel sheffield.
Glider: blaster dlg
Thermal: hand launch
Date and Time of flight: September 8, 11:02
Duration of flight: 12 min 02 secs
Weather Conditions: Sunny, winds turbulant

Well, I got my newer blaster dlg all fixed up after having 2 sd150 servos go bad on me(no damage to plane luckily.
I have replace the 2 cell 350 mah lipo which was direct to rx hence the sd150s which can cope with 9v supposedly with a single cell 1200mah lipo so that normal servos could be used in future if any more sd150s go down on me.
Everything seems to work fine on 1 cell the only difference is maybe just a slightly slower servo movement but hardly really noticeable in air.
The upside of doing this is the servos use less current and so run cooler and less likely to strip gears as well and the play time is now to all intents and purposes unlimited as I only used 125 mah for 1 hour 45mins and with a 1200mah capacity I can safely used 450mah and still have 3.87v volts which still supplies my rx and 4 servos with enough power to not have any brownouts etc.
Needles to say now I will not have to worry about whether or not I have enough battery left to stay in that thermal which took me 1hr 30 mins to find which was about the limit on the 350mah 2 cell.
Weather is nice and hot today but winds are the southwest so not great for thermalling but I managed quite a few 5/6 min flights and 2 over 10 mins.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:50 AM
Spain
Joined Jun 2008
459 Posts
That blaster must be a blast, my next plane will be a cheap Dlg (if I can find one), also it's a pity they aren't RTF...
Peter good luck with this thread, I see its not sticky yet. Also I liked more the one page format anyway it's ok, thanks
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:29 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilottube View Post
That blaster must be a blast, my next plane will be a cheap Dlg (if I can find one), also it's a pity they aren't RTF...
Peter good luck with this thread, I see its not sticky yet. Also I liked more the one page format anyway it's ok, thanks
Cheap and dlg are not something that usually go together lol, and most are quite a pain to put together, but the blaster is the easiest as far as assembly goes, wings just screw on unlike the others where you have to join the wings with glue and fibreglass etc and can easily get it wrong with little hope of puting it right afterwards.
A second hand blaster will set you back 200 upwards or so if you can find one but new 289 plus servo and battery so 390 if u put sd100s in.
I looked at building one too and that can be done a lot cheaper either balsa with carbon rods or foam cores and covered with fibre glass, but would not be quite as good a blaster and lots of work, so when a second hand blaster came up I jumped on it.
I've actually got 2 now as another second hand one came up and it was almost new so I bought it and have the other to sell if anyone wants it or it will sit in garage as a spare just in case.
PLayed for 2 hours this morn from 8 till 10 and had to stop just as the thermals were starting up due to footballers wanting to use the pitch to play on. charged up in 30 mins only put 130mah in-one cell lipo definitely the way to go.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,425 Posts
Hi, guys.

I'm still working on making the thread a "sticky". I think I'm doing it right but would welcome any input on it. Keep the flight times coming and I'll get it straightened out.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:43 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
At the top right of post 1, there is a button labeled "report". Press it. You should get a dialogue box with a pull down list of several options. Select the one that says "stick/unstick thread". Then fill in the text box below that with a polite request to the moderators to make it a sticky thread.

In a couple of days they will make it sticky.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,425 Posts
Thanks, JS. I tried it before but now I'm wondering if I actually sent the request before moving to another page. I tried again this afternoon.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,425 Posts
Well, I figured out how to make the thread a sticky. I think that I refreshed the page rather than submitting the first request. Hopefully things will go smoother next month and, as always, let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or you just have a new idea.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,425 Posts
Dang it! I had a lovely flight this morning but I forgot to start my timer. Sigh...
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
Spain
Joined Jun 2008
459 Posts
Too windy here these days to fly. Anyway I'm the best so far!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:03 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,544 Posts
winds not letting up here either again lol.
It's always forecast to be less windy in a weeks time, every day I look it's still a weeks time the day keeps changing when the winds are gonna calm down lol, but every day I look out and winds are howling down the hill never up it.
Been playing with rc truggy in garden my best time on that is about 20 mins, does that count?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:37 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
JumpySticks
Glider: Radian Pro 2m
Thermal: 2 meter E-Glider
Date and Time of flight: September 16, 11:00am
Duration of flight: 15:44
Weather Conditions: Sunny, Light & Variable, 88 degrees

I had a longer flight but blew the landing and was out 150 feet.

Three good flights overall, kml files attached.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks