Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:14 AM
United States, NH, Stark
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro View Post
If you want to transfer set up information from a previously saved .txt file, you can open up the v2.2 text file with notepad or similar and do the following:

1) Change the version number to 2.30: Version : 2.30
2) If not set already, change the parameter GyroOn to 2: GyroOn : 2

You should then be able to load up the txt file into V2.3. You will then need to re-send the parameters to the BL-3GRC gyro, with it's v2.3 f/w programmed in first. (Issue for all windows platforms, in future we'll try to maintain backwards compatibility)

Mark
Thanks Mark. I was able to import .txt files now.

I did notice that Takeoff mode still shows 70% in the tool tips; not sure if it will in reality now work at 30%. Oh, and the PDF file still shows 70%.

Ted
Ted M is offline Find More Posts by Ted M
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:20 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
Ted, Thanks for pointing these out - we've updated the user manual now (tips later)..

Mark
IceManPro is offline Find More Posts by IceManPro
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:46 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Borrowed back the PC I upgraded to 2.2 with. Uninstalled 2.2 and installed 2.3

Upgrade process says gyro disconnected. Gyro is OK as live data works prior to trying upgrade.

I'll come back to this in a few months. Give it a chance to settle down.

Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, NH, Stark
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Freak Failure of BL-3G

Freak Failure:

Output 4 Failure…

I’ve flown my Flyzone Switch dozens of times using my BL3G gyro.

Between flights, at home in my basement, I fiddle around testing, updating, entering trims, etc.

One time I connected the battery up and the flight controls immediately snapped to attention.
The controls moved vigorously, as if power steering were suddenly added.
The rudder and elevator positions were not centered, but offset about 10-15 degrees.

Moving a control stick made the associated flight control moved fast, as if it couldn’t wait to move.

After a few minutes of troubleshooting I found that my separate, switching BEC failed.
It failed in such a way that the 3S (11.1) battery voltage was no longer regulated down to 5.0 volts.
The full 11.1 volts was going to the BL3G, Rx, and servos. Yikes.

I changed the BEC to a Castle 10 Amp max output one.

My Rx and servos survived this insult. They still worked fine.

However, my BL3G ended up with Output 4 (inverted roll channel) inop.
I tried several servos on Output 4. No change.
I tried resetting the gyro to defaults. No change.

Oh well, I bought three at once.
I’m only using one at present, so I put another one in the plane and all is fine again.

Ted
Ted M is offline Find More Posts by Ted M
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:28 PM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
Hi Ted,
The BL-3GRC is designed to operate at an input power supply of up to 20v, what I think must have happened is that when the over voltage was applied to the servos by mistake the servos may have either output some voltage on their input signal lines or somehow caused too much current to flow over these lines, thus damaging gyro output 4. If you have output 3 available just use that instead and invert it from the basic tab page.
Mark
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:36 PM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpalms View Post
Borrowed back the PC I upgraded to 2.2 with. Uninstalled 2.2 and installed 2.3

Upgrade process says gyro disconnected. Gyro is OK as live data works prior to trying upgrade.

I'll come back to this in a few months. Give it a chance to settle down.

Dave
Dave, this seems odd, will look into it. You can also take a look at this document, it may help.

Mark
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:19 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro View Post
Dave, this seems odd, will look into it. You can also take a look at this document, it may help.

Mark
So far we have no issues running and updating with Windows 8..

Mark
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:33 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
We are aware of some issues sending data to the BL-3G Gyro from the PC tool in non English regions, such as Spanish-Spain, German-Germany etc. This fixed in version 2.4 out soon. Other small bugs also fixed..

Mark

- V2.4 available now from our website..
Last edited by IceManPro; Nov 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:11 PM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
Just a quick note that if you find input 7 (or another input) does't work as gyro on / off (or any another real time switch function) it is likely to be that the min and max values on the power (throttle) matching tab are not set up (Adv1 tab page). If you don't input throttle to the BL-3G you can just set up the min / max boxes manually the same as per pitch, roll, or yaw. It is these, power min/max values, that are also used for the real time switch inputs.

Mark
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3 Posts
Sub Trim question

Hello Mark,

I am just installing the BL-3G Gyro in my E-slick 540 with dual elevator and dual aileron servos.

My question is how do I sub trim my individual elevator or aileron servo to get my control surfaces centered?

My goal is to get all control surfaces centered and have the servo control arms at 90 degrees with the pushrods.

Thanks,

Pete
petebur is offline Find More Posts by petebur
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3 Posts
Sub Trim question

OK
I’m a little slow sometime, well more times than I care to admit. I found the sub trim on the basic tab page of the software. The software has a heading of “Subtrim and Output Invert”, on the basic tab page. The manual just says “Bias (us)”. As you can see it doesn’t take much to confuse me.
I have noticed that when I let the plane set for a few minutes without moving the control sticks (reading the manual) the aileron servos will do a little twitch. The movement is so quick it took a few times before I happen to be looking at the plane on one occasion before I saw it happen. Doesn’t seem to make any difference if the Gyro is on or off.
Is the Gyro doing some sort of reset?
Pete
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:04 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
Hi Pete, yes we changed the wording on the control for this hence your confusion. I think the V2.3 user manual available from our website should already be updated with this. You can do the sub trim either from the Adv1 tab (and follow the procedure in the manual) or from the basic tab as you already figured out. Not sure about the twitch, but the gyro will not be doing any resetting - will check into it.

Mark
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3 Posts
Input sensitivity

Mark,
I have a question about input sensitivity.

When I am flying my plane with the gyro turned off my plane flies like it did before gyro installation, but when I turn on the gyro the plane flies as if I had turned down the rate on my Tx. My airplane is more responsive in low rate with the gyro turned off that in high rate when the gyro turned on.

Since the gyro seems to reduce the response of my Tx input. I think I should increase the input sensitivity on the “Professional 1” tab page. The x, y, and z sensitivity is currently at 1.10. What is the range of input sensitivity and what increment would you suggest I use to start increasing the sensitivity of Tx input ?

I will add here that on the ground the control surfaces appear to move the same distance with and without the gyro turned on.

Am I on the right trail?

Pete
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:12 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
277 Posts
Hi Pete, on the ground the range looks similar with gyro on or off, but note that if you move the control surface on the ground and the plane does not move (as it should or would when flying) then the gyro is adding further control surface movement (how much depends on the gain) to try to achieve the required rate. Hence you are right that some reduction in sensitivity when flying is to be expected. You can increase the sensitivity on the Prof1 page. It is a linear adjustment, ie 1.0 or thereabouts can be considered to be 100% and 2.0 double. I would suggest to move it to say 1.3. and see how you go.

Mark
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:32 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
571 Posts
Where IS Everybody???

The last post in this thread was a month ago.
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member