Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:55 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,751 Posts
Hmmmm, just seems that this isn't a very popular plane. I have been watching youtube videos and it appears that this is the same plane as the Ripmax Acro-Wot Foam E.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:52 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
chucksolo69,

Yes it is. I assume it's a Chris Foss design. I know a couple of people who own and like them. They seem to fly well, but there are a couple of design flaws, IMHO. Notably, ESC placing and adequate cooling and motor access.

If (more likely when) you nose in an electric plane, you need to be able to get to the motor to take it out and replace it, or fit a new shaft. The motor ESC and battery all need to get good airflow over them to keep them cool.

Chris Foss has designed some great i.c. planes,and the WOT4 and Acro WOT are pretty good electrics, but with some short comings, probably because they're his first electric designs.

Having said that, all electric ARTFs and radio ready planes (receiver ready, PNP, BNF or whatever), tend to have some problems, and benefit from a bit of modding.

I don't personally feel any great desire to own either the WOT4 or the Acro WOT, but if I did, I'd have no real problem sorting out the things that should have been sorted out at the design stage... except for the motor access on the Acro WOT. That is a bit major. As I undersstand it, you'd basically have to slice a chunk of the nose off, then fit a new firewall to mount a motor on, if you needed to repair it, then maybe make a cowl to restore the looks.

Having said that, if the Acro WOT didn't have those design flaws, I'd more than likely have bought one when I first looked into it.

The WOT4 is easier to work on. I've reshafted and replaced motors for an older guy at my club on WOT4s, a few times, and it's not a big deal.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Jun 14, 2013, 03:00 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,751 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yes, I hear you about the motor/ESC access. I had to resort to buying an adapter cable from Tower Hobbies so I could use my Dean's equipped batteries.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69