HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:56 AM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehour View Post
So with the hardened steel one that shouldn't be a problem, right?
With the design of the MM the layshaft can be removed with the sprocket still attached so if needed it can be stud locked onto the shaft itself as heat can be used to remove it later. Looking at the M5 sprocket I have here it will be much much later.
Gaz-b is offline Find More Posts by Gaz-b
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:15 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,732 Posts
Speaking of the front sprocket of the DX450/M5, I have that bike but didnt look at it last night. I was under impression the chain is smaller than whats used on the MM450. If so, how is it that a sprocket for a smaller chain can be correct size for the bigger mm450 chain?

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm debating whether to buy or not the metal triple clamps for the bike. My thoughts are the stock plastic ones have some give that protect the front parts and bearings from getting bent or damaged, while the metal won't protect as much. The metal triple clamps can even get bent too.

What do you think?
David
I just upgraded to the metal triples and that is a concern too. I hope its not an issue. However, Ive had the stearing stem bend and the plastic part that the stem fits into that mounts to frame break, so those seem to give out enough so forks dont damage so I am hoping that continues to be how things go in a crash, not the forks or triples. Time will tell. I wish I was good enough to tell difference in ride between plastic or metal triples. Maybe CHKTM can though.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:59 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,271 Posts
[QUOTE=JohnnyMc;24031302]Speaking of the front sprocket of the DX450/M5, I have that bike but didnt look at it last night. I was under impression the chain is smaller than whats used on the MM450. If so, how is it that a sprocket for a smaller chain can be correct size for the bigger mm450 chain?
QUOTE]
The M5 chain is smaller well shorter anyway less links same pitch.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:57 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,525 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm debating whether to buy or not the metal triple clamps for the bike. My thoughts are the stock plastic ones have some give that protect the front parts and bearings from getting bent or damaged, while the metal won't protect as much. The metal triple clamps can even get bent too.

What do you think?

David
David I find the alloy triple tighten the front up a bit and help the forks to work better. I have crashed the bike badly and broken bits around the forks such as the steering stem block and even the main chassis and the front rim and haven't even bent the steering screw. I think it holds the forks much better. You'd never bend the triples themselves I'm sure Dave.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:58 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b View Post
For anybody interested the Anderson m5 hardened steel sprocket is a perfect match for the original VMX brass one ANM59318
Thanks Gaz, looks the goods .
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:15 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,271 Posts
The M5 chain is lighter duty I have checked the roller diameter and pitch on a digital vernier and it's an exact match to the venom/Atomic chain.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:36 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,271 Posts
Do I posted a pic of a TT Ducati sprocket by mistake this is the M5 one
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:19 PM
Lloydminster AB
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
Searching for connecting links a while back, I found out that the VMX/MM450 chain is an ANSI #25H as opposed to the standard ANSI #25 which is the same pitch but looks thinner, used on some other bikes. Most pocket bikes use a #25H, so as far as the MM goes, the chain is really overkill, now to start looking for a new sprocket that could be sourced from another application.
cwazyduck is offline Find More Posts by cwazyduck
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:19 AM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,271 Posts
The chain on the TT Ducati is deffo the same as I have used the connecting link from one on my VMX.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:08 AM
Puerto Rico, Guayama, Guayama
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Speaking of the front sprocket of the DX450/M5, I have that bike but didnt look at it last night. I was under impression the chain is smaller than whats used on the MM450. If so, how is it that a sprocket for a smaller chain can be correct size for the bigger mm450 chain?

I just upgraded to the metal triples and that is a concern too. I hope its not an issue. However, Ive had the stearing stem bend and the plastic part that the stem fits into that mounts to frame break, so those seem to give out enough so forks dont damage so I am hoping that continues to be how things go in a crash, not the forks or triples. Time will tell. I wish I was good enough to tell difference in ride between plastic or metal triples. Maybe CHKTM can though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
David I find the alloy triple tighten the front up a bit and help the forks to work better. I have crashed the bike badly and broken bits around the forks such as the steering stem block and even the main chassis and the front rim and haven't even bent the steering screw. I think it holds the forks much better. You'd never bend the triples themselves I'm sure Dave.

Thanks John and Chris for your opinions. I'll buy them.

David
davehour is offline Find More Posts by davehour
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:22 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,271 Posts
My two new sprockets arrived today and they have changed the pattern slightly but still drop right in. The one with the red spacer has had four packs and the other brass one has had two packs. The spacer is no longer needed as the built in one is the correct length. I dremeled a flat onto the shaft at 15mm from the end so there is a radius rather than a filed flat as the square edges would create a stress point. I fitted it with a little stud lock on the shaft and used nut lock on the screw with a bearing and clip on for spacing then remove the bearing asap or the stud lock will want to keep it. I tested the new sprocket with a file and it didn't touch it.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:21 PM
Puerto Rico, Guayama, Guayama
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b View Post
My two new sprockets arrived today and they have changed the pattern slightly but still drop right in. The one with the red spacer has had four packs and the other brass one has had two packs. The spacer is no longer needed as the built in one is the correct length. I dremeled a flat onto the shaft at 15mm from the end so there is a radius rather than a filed flat as the square edges would create a stress point. I fitted it with a little stud lock on the shaft and used nut lock on the screw with a bearing and clip on for spacing then remove the bearing asap or the stud lock will want to keep it. I tested the new sprocket with a file and it didn't touch it.
Gaz,

From the pictures it seems the radius of the steel sprocket is smaller hence the chain bushings won't rest on it, possibly?
davehour is offline Find More Posts by davehour
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:32 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,271 Posts
it is the correct pitch for the vmx chain the brass sprockets are sh@ged.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:12 PM
United States, IN, Columbus
Joined Nov 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Redstar sell the tenshock 5200 cheaper on ebay mate http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tenshock-...item2578767dd8
They recommend to run a 120amp esc with it, i am using a hobbyking 100amp sensored or sensorless esc as i had it already & it works great barely gets warm & it is smaller than the venom esc.
Do you use the punch control setting on this ESC? If so does it help any?

Sorry I see that it is a hobby king and not a turnigy esc.
razor_01 is offline Find More Posts by razor_01
Last edited by razor_01; Feb 06, 2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:21 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor_01 View Post
Do you use the punch control setting on this ESC? If so does it help any?

Sorry I see that it is a hobby king and not a turnigy esc.
Yes mate it is a hobbyking but is fully programmable with card, the initial acceleration is the punch setting i only have it set on MED which is plenty for this motor with so much torque & it is hard enough keeping the front down with the MED setting.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie