HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:21 AM
SEMC
Cleethorpes, England
Joined Sep 2004
39 Posts
Discussion
optic 6 with Minima and Optima

I have just purchased an optic 6 with the spectra AFHSS module, I plan to use a Minima 6a and a optima7 receivers, if i set model 1 to use the minima and bind it then everything is fine. if i setup model three to use the optima 7 and bind it everything is ok.

Now the problem starts. If i now want to fly model 1 and switch the transmitter on then the receiver the servos are slow or do not work at all and i need to remove the receiver FROM THE MODEL and rebind the minima. the same THING happens when i switch from model 1 to model 3 . this is major hassle, and i would rather purchase a new radio system again if this happens all the time, am i doing anything wrong, any help appreciated.
semc is offline Find More Posts by semc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:26 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semc View Post
I have just purchased an optic 6 with the spectra AFHSS module, I plan to use a Minima 6a and a optima7 receivers, if i set model 1 to use the minima and bind it then everything is fine. if i setup model three to use the optima 7 and bind it everything is ok. Now the problem starts. If i now want to fly model 1 and switch the transmitter on then the receiver the servos are slow or do not work at all and i need to remove the receiver FROM THE MODEL and rebind the minima. the same THING happens when i switch from model 1 to model 3 . this is major hassle, and i would rather purchase a new radio system again if this happens all the time, am i doing anything wrong, any help appreciated.
Change to Normal Mode which permits user to link to many Optima and or Minima at the same time. Scan function leaves module locked to one transceiver/receiver only, please refer to:
AFHSS - ID_Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Test Procedure Aurora 9, Spectra 2.4Ghz Module <> Optima Receiver.
and also
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Servo Move Slower Than Usual -Rebind. Switched between Normal <> Scan mode with power off before process completed.
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Servo Wag When RX Turned On Reason & Prevention of Servo Wag (especially when switching on some ESC) .
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Servos Stepping - Battery pack (power supply) failing under load.
under the Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:19 AM
SEMC
Cleethorpes, England
Joined Sep 2004
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
Change to Normal Mode which permits user to link to many Optima and or Minima at the same time. Scan function leaves module locked to one transceiver/receiver only, please refer to:
AFHSS - ID_Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Test Procedure Aurora 9, Spectra 2.4Ghz Module <> Optima Receiver.
and also
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Servo Move Slower Than Usual -Rebind. Switched between Normal <> Scan mode with power off before process completed.
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Servo Wag When RX Turned On Reason & Prevention of Servo Wag (especially when switching on some ESC) .
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Servos Stepping - Battery pack (power supply) failing under load.
under the Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features

Alan T.
thanks for reply, tried that and it works ok now, it would be handy if hitec put that information in their manual, thanks for your time and reply
semc is offline Find More Posts by semc
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:35 PM
United States, IL, Antioch
Joined Dec 2006
4 Posts
Optic 6 Sport 2.4 with Minima - can't bind

I recently picked up a Minima and cannot for the life of me get it to bind with my Optic 6 Sport 2.4. Thinking I needed to upgrade the firmware, I borrowed a buddies HPP-22, but it will not connect to my transmitter. Two strikes and I'm almost out!

1) Will an optic sport 2.4 work with the Minima? (if yes, is an rx fw upgrade required?)
2) Has anyone been able to get the HPP-22 to upgrade their Optic 6 Sport 2.4?

The tx has the upgrade jack in the back (right in the middle), so that must be there for a reason!

Many thanks
mjb18 is offline Find More Posts by mjb18
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:49 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb18 View Post
I recently picked up a Minima and cannot for the life of me get it to bind with my Optic 6 Sport 2.4. Thinking I needed to upgrade the firmware, I borrowed a buddies HPP-22, but it will not connect to my transmitter. Two strikes and I'm almost out!
1) Will an optic sport 2.4 work with the Minima? (if yes, is an rx fw upgrade required?)
2) Has anyone been able to get the HPP-22 to upgrade their Optic 6 Sport 2.4?
The tx has the upgrade jack in the back (right in the middle), so that must be there for a reason! Many thanks
Have yet to try the 2.4 version with a Minima, but believe an upgrade would be required for earlier Optic Sport 2.4GHz with original firmware.

Upgrade Optic 6 Sport and Optic 6 Sport 2.4GHz - How To DIY Via HPP-22
Hitec Minima - How to Set Up ID (Bind) - Video.

Alan T.
Last edited by A.T.; Aug 28, 2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: add youtube link.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2008
79 Posts
Quote:
Have yet to try the 2.4 version with a Minima, but believe an upgrade would be required for earlier Optic Sport 2.4GHz with original firmware.

Upgrade Optic 6 Sport and Optic 6 Sport 2.4GHz - How To DIY Via HPP-22

Alan T.
thanks Alan - I figured it would require an upgrade too but cannot get it to connect to the HPP-22 following the instructions carefully/repeatedly. Have you successfully upgraded your Sport 2.4? Maybe the HPP-22 is bad. It's never been used until today.
mjb_18 is offline Find More Posts by mjb_18
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:23 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb_18 View Post
thanks Alan - I figured it would require an upgrade too but cannot get it to connect to the HPP-22 following the instructions carefully/repeatedly. Have you successfully upgraded your Sport 2.4? Maybe the HPP-22 is bad. It's never been used until today.
Have not had any problems with Optic 6 Sport upgrades to date, none left here at present, but will be able to check on a 40mhz being brought in for upgrade late tomorow.
Given recent firmware releases, there many people presently trying to upgrade Aurora, transceivers and modules at present.
Kr ISP has been shutting down with auto reboot midnight Korea time. - refer screenshot.

Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to install & Use Instructions (with screenshots). may assist.

Alan T.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:12 AM
Joined Feb 2008
79 Posts
Quote:
Have not had any problems with Optic 6 Sport upgrades to date, none left here at present, but will be able to check on a 40mhz being brought in for upgrade late tomorow.
Given recent firmware releases, there many people presently trying to upgrade Aurora, transceivers and modules at present.
Kr ISP has been shutting down with auto reboot midnight Korea time. - refer screenshot.

Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to install & Use Instructions (with screenshots). may assist.

Alan T.
Thanks Alan - if you can validate that an optic sport 2.4ghz (with a 3-pin jack in the back) can be upgraded, then I probably have a bad HPP-22.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:16 PM
Joined Feb 2008
79 Posts
An update to those that are having similar problems. A couple important discoveries.

1) the optic sport 2.4 is updated via the "etc" section of the hp-22 interface tool
2) use the v1.10 of the hpp-22 interface tool (not the latest version) to upgrade your tx firmware
3) watch the minima binding video on YouTube. Once your tx is in bind mode, you have to press the link button again to search for non-telemetry rx's like the minima.
4) Do a little dance upon binding success.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 01:47 AM
TEAM BOCA
United States, IA, Muscatine
Joined Oct 2009
1,472 Posts
After 2 hours of frustration trying to get my Optic 6 Sport to update via the trainer port like the software leads you to believe I finally stumbled on this post. I think this information really needs to be brought to someones attention.
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:35 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie8696 View Post
After 2 hours of frustration trying to get my Optic 6 Sport to update via the trainer port like the software leads you to believe I finally stumbled on this post. I think this information really needs to be brought to someones attention.
The Optic Sport "Firmware" and programming thereof is updated via the Trainer port.
The RF "module", whilst fixed into the Eclipse 7 Pro, Optic 5 and Optic 6 Sport, has separate firmware,
which relates to all Hitec 2.4Ghz Spectra Modules, so must be updated as a separate unit as documented in the
Optic 6 Sport Manual - copy page 12 is attached.
(Until only a couple of years ago, upgrades were only possoble by buying a completely new transmitter)

Procedure is frequently published on all major forums, especially via:
. Hitec Optic 6 & Optic Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, FAQ & Comparison Charts
. Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use (with screenshots & Video).
ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers & Telemetry - FAQ & Undocumented Features

Further information on the Optic 6 and Optic 6 Sport is also available under
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:

Alan T.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 07:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Aug 2011
306 Posts
Thanks, Alan!

I was experiencing the same difficulty - then you mentioned the 'other update port'...

Now I have a Minima 6 bound to my Optima 6 2.4 transmitter.
Cheers,
David

Quote:
The Optic Sport "Firmware" and programming thereof is updated via the Trainer port.
The RF "module", whilst fixed into the Eclipse 7 Pro, Optic 5 and Optic 6 Sport, has separate firmware,
which relates to all Hitec 2.4Ghz Spectra Modules, so must be updated as a separate unit as documented in the
Optic 6 Sport Manual - copy page 12 is attached.
(Until only a couple of years ago, upgrades were only possoble by buying a completely new transmitter)

Procedure is frequently published on all major forums, especially via:
. Hitec Optic 6 & Optic Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, FAQ & Comparison Charts
. Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use (with screenshots & Video).
ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers & Telemetry - FAQ & Undocumented Features

Further information on the Optic 6 and Optic 6 Sport is also available under
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:

Alan T.
David Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by David Jenkins
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Apr 2010
3 Posts
I had the same problems with my Optic 6 Sports 2.4 trying to bind a Minima - many thanks, guys, they are now bound perfectly
Gary Eyre, Quairading ,Western Australia
garyeyre is offline Find More Posts by garyeyre
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:41 AM
Joined Apr 2010
3 Posts
I had same problems , and now foloowing your hints , my Minima is linked to the Optic 6 sports - Well done, guys!
Gary Eyre , Quairading, Western Australia
garyeyre is offline Find More Posts by garyeyre