Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:52 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian145 View Post
im thinking of getting the mcpx as my first cp heli. how does everyone like this heli so far?
There's too many pages here to read, and the first 200 or so are people who don't even own the heli saying "I can't wait to get mine", so I'll summarize:

Great heli.
Put grommets on the swash and make sure the main gear is FIRMLY snugged on.
Use the bullet blades.
Hyperion 240 batteries are a great no-mod option.
You'll lose a lot of dog-bone links (unless you hot glue the gap in the rotor hub closed.)
Everyone wants to go brushless to reduce tail blowout but heli flies fine without this mod if you're smooth on the sticks (this basically means "I'm a better pilot than you").

This is my first CP heli as well. I think it's an idea first CP heli. I'm told it's a bit harder to fly than a full sized however you can crash it and chances are nothing will break. If something does break it's cheap and easy to replace parts.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:28 AM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
WOOT! I just successfully flew at 93% ( I keep upping it 1% everytime I fly ) I finally got to fly outside this morning even though its extremely cold. I put my battery near the heater to warm it up and it flew the full 4 minutes no problem. I took a video of me testing the 93% pitch travel.

Part of my problem with the tail was that my frame is wearing out. I just glued the cf into the frame since I'm getting a new one anyhow. It was every once in a while bobbing before, and thats because it was throwing the gyro off from the tail moving slightly everytime the tail motor kicked on. Now its rock solid on the frame. I couldn't be more happy with the heli. Once my MH swash is on and I get a new frame I'm calling it quits on the mods. Direct soldered everything now, was nervous at first but its paid off.
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:37 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,366 Posts
I was hoping someone here could make a suggestion.

After many successful flights, my MCPx tail isn't holding at all while in flight.

The gyro seems to be working while holding the heli in my hand.

The tail motor appears to have full RPM.

Tail rotor doesn't seem to be slipping.

I have increased the gyro gain in my DX6i from 50% to 100% with no effect.

I'm stumped because everything seems OK.

Any suggestions?
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:45 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
I was hoping someone here could make a suggestion.

After many successful flights, my MCPx tail isn't holding at all while in flight.

The gyro seems to be working while holding the heli in my hand.

The tail motor appears to have full RPM.

Tail rotor doesn't seem to be slipping.

I have increased the gyro gain in my DX6i from 50% to 100% with no effect.

I'm stumped because everything seems OK.

Any suggestions?
The mCPX doesn't have a TX or any rudder gyro adjustment.. you need the Genius for that..

You saying that your tail motor is running at full speed all the time? Or that it seems to reach full speed if you give a right rudder command? Have you tried to bend more pitch into the rotor? Do you have a spare tail motor you can try?
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:09 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,366 Posts
Tail motor increases RPM to full in order to compensate when rotating CCW.

Everything seems OK.

I'll try increasing tail rotor pitch, then a new tail motor.

Thanks! I did not know about lack of TX gyro adjustment. I did remember that I remembered that I had never previously set it.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:27 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Well I finally had time to fly my heli's for the first time in two months Though now looks like most of my mcpx batteries went bad since I left them charged.. Whoops

Anyone hear anything on a 120 size mcpx or any new mcpx upgrades that I should know about?
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:34 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Have you tried to bend more pitch into the rotor?
You are a genius!

I can't believe how easy it was to bend extra pitch into the stock tail rotor blades.

The heli now flies normally.

Somehow or other the pitch in the tail rotor blades decreased to the point where the tail wouldn't hold.

Could still be a dying tail motor, but with your help I'm back in the air again.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:47 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
Exactly, Swash % is the pitch channel ATV on the MCPx
I might give it a try. are you flying the kbdd blades? man my orange blades can be seen really good when doing like flips and stuff
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Nov 19, 2011, 02:02 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Hey Fellas,
I broke my stock tail boom and replaced it with a solid boom and taped the wires with electrical tape. My X now does not have the power it once had and barley gets off the ground.
I also made it a tad bit longer than factory.
I Am using the pitch and throttle curves as per the owners manual and using a dx6

Thanks
Dan
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Nov 19, 2011, 02:38 PM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000 View Post
Hey Fellas,
I broke my stock tail boom and replaced it with a solid boom and taped the wires with electrical tape. My X now does not have the power it once had and barley gets off the ground.
I Am using the pitch and throttle curves as per the owners manual and using a dx6

Thanks
Dan

I'm guessing you added too much weight with the solid boom and tape. My suggestion?? 140-148mm with no tape, just wrap wires around the boom or use a small peice of heat shrink, or cut the tape so its uber thin. That electrical tape is heavy, along with the heavier boom with a stock motor it may be too much to handle. But if it barely gets off the ground you might have another problem because I have done the same setup and it just felt a little heavier, even the 120sr tail will get off the ground easy even though its alot heavier!
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
Old Nov 19, 2011, 03:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_F View Post
Everyone wants to go brushless to reduce tail blowout but heli flies fine without this mod if you're smooth on the sticks (this basically means "I'm a better pilot than you").
Yeah, absolutely no one does it for the benefit of added power.
kokopelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopelli
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:03 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jul 2011
791 Posts
anyone wanna buy an mcpx minus a servo
Stugoose is offline Find More Posts by Stugoose
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Mar 2007
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000 View Post
Hey Fellas,

Thanks
Dan
You may have checked this already, but make sure the main gear is seated all the way. You should have no vertical play in the main shaft. The crash that broke your boom likely moved the main gear as well.
StangGuy is offline Find More Posts by StangGuy
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:23 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Gear is good!!! I have read that folks are using the 120 sr boom and tail motor...why is the added weight not effected their X??

And thanks for advice......Gear is seated properly!
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:12 PM
High Impact Lander
United States, ME, Gorham
Joined Oct 2011
84 Posts
*Deep Breath*

Just bought one! I could hover it okay at the LHS, so I took one home with me to practice all of this non-flybar stuff. It's really way beyond my skill level at the moment, but I'm hoping to grow into it.

Time to do some serious internets reading on this thing!
jamz2233 is offline Find More Posts by jamz2233