HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:02 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt View Post
I"ve got the ventus finished and ready to test fly.but theres one thing that realy bothers me; it's that realy small elevator. Do any of you guys have a problem controling the ventus with this very small elevator?
Yes, it is too small.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:21 AM
Malaysia, Johor, Muar
Joined May 2012
35 Posts
rudder servo

hi guys,

already ordered the ventus and should be getting them end of the week.

Have you guys tried to install the rudder servo on the rudder itself? Coz been reading bout the nose heavy of this plane.dont want to add weight to the tail so a servo should b ok.

You all done great job in this forum!thumbs up for yall!!
magoo308 is offline Find More Posts by magoo308
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:43 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Put it back there; I just measured the hole for the elevator and cut a hole in the base of the rudder to fit the servo, cut a grove for the wires and run them up inside the middle of the body. I"m useing 5 gram servos all around; useing a 9 gram for the retrack, haven't flown it yet but I"m waiting for our new flying field to be ready. try to balance it back from the leading edge about 43 mm.
btdt is offline Find More Posts by btdt
Last edited by btdt; Dec 09, 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:52 PM
Malaysia, Johor, Muar
Joined May 2012
35 Posts
thnx!!

so rudder servo on the rudder.
carbon rod on the fuse.

any other mod?the v2 wing is very strong now rite?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:17 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Wing is from what I can tell plenty strong; carbon rod for the fuse. (mine came with a rod) careful you don't confuse it with the wing rod for mounting the wings. used 5 minute epoxy to mount the rod.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:21 PM
Kedah, Malaysia.
Joined Feb 2007
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo308 View Post
hi guys,

already ordered the ventus and should be getting them end of the week.

Have you guys tried to install the rudder servo on the rudder itself? Coz been reading bout the nose heavy of this plane.dont want to add weight to the tail so a servo should b ok.

You all done great job in this forum!thumbs up for yall!!
Yup, made it on tail too..it helps a lot on balancing the plane..but pls reinforce the tail boom as it's a bit weak..I've broke mine on low level stall spin while approaching to land.
shahrin is offline Find More Posts by shahrin
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:50 PM
Malaysia, Johor, Muar
Joined May 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt View Post
Wing is from what I can tell plenty strong; carbon rod for the fuse. (mine came with a rod) careful you don't confuse it with the wing rod for mounting the wings. used 5 minute epoxy to mount the rod.
awesome thnx!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahrin View Post
Yup, made it on tail too..it helps a lot on balancing the plane..but pls reinforce the tail boom as it's a bit weak..I've broke mine on low level stall spin while approaching to land.
ade gak geng Malaysia dh fly glider ni.hehe
terbaik!!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:09 PM
Malaysia, Johor, Muar
Joined May 2012
35 Posts
maiden day!!

finish the plane yesterday
added extension to the aileron and elevator.
I put 2 mg servo on the tail to balance the nose heavy of the plane,but its
make the plane tail heavy so have to use 2200mah 3s.
using 9x5 prop.

first throw, my buddy throw it too high of an angle and the plane stall coz
the prop was to small and it CRASH!!
left wing pop out but no damage,the tail a bit bent but easily fix
with some tape.

the change prop to 10x8 that was supplied and its FLIES
but on throttle the plane act weird.but continue to fly it,what a beautiful sailplane!!even manage to catch some thermal.
manage to land without any problem and found that the motor mount was loose.
luckily nothing happen.

so now Ill fix the motor mount,and reinforce the tail again.

btw the v2 kit I don't see any wing flexing.

cheers guys.

-Alif-
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:19 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
808 Posts
Magoo308,

Congratulations on a successful maiden! I wish you many happy flights to come.

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:19 AM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Am I missing a rod? isn't there supposed to be a rod that goes in the square hole in the leading edge of the wing; I received only one 12 inch 5 mm rod with my kit.

Heres one for the books; that 5 mm rod I have goes in one side of the wing, but the hole in the other wing is smaller and the rod is to big for the hole (thats the hole where the set screws would tighten up) #%$#@^&**^%$%$%^^ dang dang. now what do you do?
Last edited by btdt; Dec 25, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Ventus build advice

Hi everyone,
Building my first RC model from kit and have a couple of q`s.

There are 2 carbon rods inside the box. Round profile rod is used for wing reinforcement I guess but the square rod puzzles me-what is her function?
Also, read about strengthening the tail section, what do you recommend?
There are also two small wooden parts and a rubber band, what are they for?

Thx!
trent700 is offline Find More Posts by trent700
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:32 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
The two wooden parts get glued together and glued to the botton of the floor, (put hook thru floor then glue) of the canopy the rubber band goes from the little square thing on the servo platform to the hook on the bottom of the canopy to hold the canopy on. as to the rods Can't answer that; can't figure that one out myself.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Apr 2005
39 Posts
The round rod is of course the wing spar. I slipped a 5/32" (1/8"?) steel rod thru mine to reinforce it as it broke early on in my maiden flights. The square rod is a reinforcement for the rear of the fuse. I replaced mine with a longer one and slid it in from the rear of the fuse up to where the cavity starts. My plane is put away right now, but if I recall it was about 10" or 12" in to the fuse from the rudder/rudder TE. You need it to strengthen the fuse at that point.
Good Luck!

btdt - dig out the hole for the wing spar. Mine was full of foam to about 1/2". You should feel hard edges when you run a knife into it. (Hope this is what you meant!)
SuperCub Man is offline Find More Posts by SuperCub Man
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:02 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub Man View Post
The round rod is of course the wing spar. I slipped a 5/32" (1/8"?) steel rod thru mine to reinforce it as it broke early on in my maiden flights. The square rod is a reinforcement for the rear of the fuse. I replaced mine with a longer one and slid it in from the rear of the fuse up to where the cavity starts. My plane is put away right now, but if I recall it was about 10" or 12" in to the fuse from the rudder/rudder TE. You need it to strengthen the fuse at that point.
Good Luck!

btdt - dig out the hole for the wing spar. Mine was full of foam to about 1/2". You should feel hard edges when you run a knife into it. (Hope this is what you meant!)
Are you refering to the wing spar as the one that goes through the tube that has the screws in it or the round hole closer to the front of the wing? report #110 in these threads show two rods???
Last edited by btdt; Dec 25, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:51 AM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp View Post
olmod

I am waiting on servos from Hobby King as well. I have three brand new HXT 500 at the moment and have another 4 on order. The HXT 500s are a little thicker than the hole in the wing but I plan to remove some material from the servo covers with my Dremel style tool.

Yesterday I went to my local craft store and purchased some tempered aluminum alloy Crocheting Needles. These are very strong as they are made from aircraft grade alloy and are designed to withstand being sat on by older nearsighted or forgetful ladies without bending.

My wing joiner will consist of one 6 mm carbon fiber rod at the rear and initially one 5.5 alloy rod at the front. I Plan to have the 6.5mm rod machined down to 5.8mm to fit the front spar more neatly.

Ken
The only crocheting needles that I found in the craft store were anadized aluminum; they felt strong but they were aluminum and that bothers me. there is a lot of stress on the wings; question? have you flown with the aluminum rods in your wing?