HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:32 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,918 Posts
The pros and cons have been mentioned many times in this thread. Looks like you've got a lot of reading/skimming to do

As far as battery power vs weight, there is always a trade-off between bigger capacity and flight time because of the added weight - you reach a point of diminishing returns.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:24 PM
Østre toten Norway
Norge, Oppland, Østre Toten
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Start with reading the manual, then learn to program your radio. then go flying. If not, start on page one.
frode h is offline Find More Posts by frode h
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joined Nov 2009
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TIMBITS" View Post
Can I expect this on "stock" power and what size batt gives ample power and yet doesn't weight too much to degrade the power ???
Yes. Use a 4s 4000 battery with at least a 45C rating.
Best Stephan
schiwo1 is offline Find More Posts by schiwo1
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:19 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,153 Posts
4S 4,400 mAh 65C Thunder Power is what I'm using...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Jan 2009
36 Posts
Subject has changed now, but thought I would share a mix thats takes bollooning out when throttle is chopped, with no other changes. Have been using for serveral flights and it seems to work great.

I set throttle travel to 150% which gives a little deadband in the idle range. Programmed a throttle to elevator mix that added down elevator when motors stop. Obviously others ways to do it, but I didn't want to move the CG or change anything else.
As setup in JR X9303 thro to elev pos0 0% 0% pos1 0% -114% offset-150. I set it up to only work on flight mode 1, which is only used for landing. The -114% sets at what point in throttle travel the mix starts (want that to be right at the bottom of the travel range so elevators don't move until motors stop), the -150 sets amount of down elevator (set with plane in a glide). Motors stop, elevators go nose down to automatically adjust trim for glide...works great

Anyone know how to get trims to work on mixed channels?? Would like to able setup hover mode trims, but can't figure out how to get nozzels to move with an elevator or alieron trim change

Thanks Mike
70 ragtop is offline Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:24 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 ragtop View Post
Subject has changed now, but thought I would share a mix thats takes bollooning out when throttle is chopped, with no other changes. Have been using for serveral flights and it seems to work great.

I set throttle travel to 150% which gives a little deadband in the idle range. Programmed a throttle to elevator mix that added down elevator when motors stop. Obviously others ways to do it, but I didn't want to move the CG or change anything else.
As setup in JR X9303 thro to elev pos0 0% 0% pos1 0% -114% offset-150. I set it up to only work on flight mode 1, which is only used for landing. The -114% sets at what point in throttle travel the mix starts (want that to be right at the bottom of the travel range so elevators don't move until motors stop), the -150 sets amount of down elevator (set with plane in a glide). Motors stop, elevators go nose down to automatically adjust trim for glide...works great

Anyone know how to get trims to work on mixed channels?? Would like to able setup hover mode trims, but can't figure out how to get nozzels to move with an elevator or alieron trim change

Thanks Mike
Ballooning on throttle down means the plane is not trimmed out! I am amazed how many think this is some mix issue between elevator and vectoring, it's a pure trim issue, made slightly more complex because you CAN'T use elevator trim to fix (or else you make the opposite more prevalanet, diving on power up. Get the plane gliding level using elevator sub trim (adjust between flights) and then once that's done, trim the nozzles on powered flight (so the plane doesn't dive on throttle up, also between flights using vector sub trim), once this is done, the regular elevator trim will adjust both but it is critical to adjust each independantly first to acheive proper flight on glide and under power...

Jack
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:27 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,153 Posts
Quote:

Thanks Mike
Not sure what you mean here, the trim will work both the flight surface being changed and the nozzles (as they are mixed together), only sub trim per channel will move them independently. If you mean different trim settings for each flight mode, that's what flight mode offers, seperate trim conditions for all 3 modes (but still moving any mixed channels together)...

Jack
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Jan 2009
36 Posts
Hi Jack

Yes, that is what I thought, but is not working that way. Radio is a JR X9303. Not sure if something in the TX just isn't set up correctly, but this is the case with all my models using mixes. Only exception is flaperon, or delta wing which are wing type selection in the main menu.
If I mix channel 1 and 6 as a programmed mix, only one aileron will move with trim change. Opposite aileron will move if flap trim is used.

On this plane, only flight surfaces move with trim. The nozzles, which are plugged into channel 6&7 do not move with aileron or elevator trim....any ideas??

Thanks Mike
Last edited by 70 ragtop; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Jan 2009
36 Posts
Jack
Just saw your first post, kinda slamming me there a little bit
No, the plane is trimmed out fine, the way it was intended to be trimmed. I believe the nozzle neutral position is intended to push the nose down in hover, to make it easier to hover
If you want to fly this plane conventionally, than yes, the setup is all wrong. CG definatally needs to come fwd, nozzles need to come up, elevators down. It's personnel preference really. I wanted to fly 3D sometimes, rip around the field others, and not have harrier it in, or push the nose down for landing anymore.
I was just sharing an easy 5 min setup that allows you keep the flight characteristics just the way they are, while being able to land normally, with no throttle, and without having to push the nose down
Thanks
Mike
Last edited by 70 ragtop; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:05 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,153 Posts
Quote:
Jack
Just saw your first post, kinda slamming me there a little bit
No, the plane is trimmed out fine, the way it was intended to be trimmed. I believe the nozzle neutral position is intended to push the nose down in hover, to make it easier to hover
If you want to fly this plane conventionally, than yes, the setup is all wrong. CG definatally needs to come fwd, nozzles need to come up, elevators down. It's personnel preference really. I wanted to fly 3D sometimes, rip around the field others, and not have harrier it in, or push the nose down for landing anymore.
I was just sharing an easy 5 min setup that allows you keep the flight characteristics just the way they are, while being able to land normally, with no throttle, and without having to push the nose down
Thanks
Mike
Mike,

It wasn't intended as a slam at all, sometimes when you read things back you can see it could be taken that way but I assure you it was not meant that way. If you read it monotone, that's what I intended ;-)

Jack
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:15 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,153 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jack

Yes, that is what I thought, but is not working that way. Radio is a JR X9303. Not sure if something in the TX just isn't set up correctly, but this is the case with all my models using mixes. Only exception is flaperon, or delta wing which are wing type selection in the main menu.
If I mix channel 1 and 6 as a programmed mix, only one aileron will move with trim change. Opposite aileron will move if flap trim is used.

On this plane, only flight surfaces move with trim. The nozzles, which are plugged into channel 6&7 do not move with aileron or elevator trim....any ideas??

Thanks Mike
Yes, you are absolutely correct! I was confusing two different things and didn't at all state that correctly. I don't mean the main trim moves both surfaces, the argument should have been adjusting the trim affects both flights envelopes, meaning both under glide and with power. The problem with that is if you trim out elevator for glide and then give power, you will notice the plane dive so the correct method is to first trim out for glide (fast glide BTW), then add power and adjust the nozzle sub trim only (between flights) to remove the dive tendency. I agree there seems to be a mid-point where some dive under power and some balloon on glide is normal for best all-around flight...

Jack
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Jan 2009
36 Posts
No worries Jack, I must have read it the wrong way

As a side question, I would be interested if anyone knows a way to program radio move a slave channel using the master channels trim? I am thinking it is beyond my radios capablities (JR X9303)

Thanks Mike
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined Sep 2004
53 Posts
Does anyone have a program for 14mz/18mz for this plane? I haven't ordered this one yet, but I have the skymaster 1/7th OVT turbine on my workbench...
DrScoles is offline Find More Posts by DrScoles
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:32 PM
Bulgaria, Sofia-city, Sofia
Joined Aug 2012
172 Posts
Hello guys, just finished gluing mine , I am on radio programing now. Can anyone share files/advice/expirience with Spectrum DX7s - since I have this TX or maybe even DX8 since they are close. I tried to read the whole thread but it is kinda huge
cdmanbg is offline Find More Posts by cdmanbg
Last edited by cdmanbg; Oct 23, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:09 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmanbg View Post
Hello guys, just finished gluing mine , I am on radio programing now. Can anyone share files/advice/expirience with Spectrum DX7s - since I have this TX or maybe even DX8 since they are close. I tried to read the whole thread but it is kinda huge
This probably won't work for a DX7, but here's the file from my DX8.
Edit .................. Although this has programming for the gyro, I don't think it works or my gyro is a dud. I fly my plane with the gyro by-passed, so don't take for granted that the gyro program in this file is correct.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Last edited by xviper; Nov 02, 2012 at 04:02 PM.