HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:15 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Well wow they replied.on which mail address? cs or hr?So we are but a few that have a one of a kind plane
yes will be interesting to see what will come. and if it's "better" we should be in for a treatAnyone had a look at that new odd looking Phazer KX?
I like it,thinking of maybe getting one just a play around odd looking edf.
I'm putting a 2826 2200kv outrunner on my Flycat now with 4.75x4.75 prop,should scoot around quite nicely.but PJ2 has priority
HR ....

CS gave me a 'ticket' !

The Sniper Pushy Cat has my eye at moment ... quite like the twin boom idea and elevated tail ... but too pricey .... and it's big ...

Those two factors are part of the reason I'm not into Skyfun. Radjet is ugly ... so what to do ?

Anyone care to design a PKJ that sits right in on our power plants etc. ?

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:24 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,318 Posts
OK .... sit back Guys and Gals .... try this :

Taking overall outline of the PKJ and materials we have at hand.

Just thinking onto keyboard ... OK ....

Thin ply horizontal plate shaped as the central fuselage of PKJ ... with tongues to slot depron wings to ... formers in depron to create a slab side fuselage, top and bottom. Cut-outs in ply for servos, ESC, battery etc. Motor mounted as beam of the ply ...

Wings to be depron folded to same as PKJ and shape.

Using the ply as the main frame of the model gets rid of the traditional PKJ weakness at forward of wing and across in front of motor. Ply gives definite anchor to all the bits and pieces - ESC / battery etc.
Depron keeps weight down but is good to form all the other parts ..
Slab-side fuselage to make construction easy ... just tapered into nose. Flat bottom for belly landing etc.
No need for plastic canopy - form shape in depron sections.

My idea is to create a near PKJ that standardises our Need for Speed machine design ...

Any ideas ? Comments ?

Nigel
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:48 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,318 Posts
Could this be the new NfS machine ? (Converted to pusher of course)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...kit_only_.html

??

Nigel
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:57 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,249 Posts
Nigel i've been eyeing the Sniper pushycat for a while aswell,amd with a 2836 3700 kv heli motor on 4s I think she'll be a screamer
I have a Flycat that I'm converting to pusher now.ordered it with a 50mm Alloy fan from HK,piece of sh*t!!!(the fan)barely flew on the maiden.They have the potential to be fast,but the build is a ball ache and there is almost no space for battery.I took out almost almost half of the "meat" in the fuse to be able to fit a 1300 3s lipo.putting a 2826 2200kv motor(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html) on with 4.75x4.75 so should be quick,but not what we are getting on the PJ's as it only produces 342W.Here are some of my build pics I did at the time
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727403
but let's wait and see what will replace the PJ
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Last edited by chop stiX; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:16 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,249 Posts
Oh apparently there are some guys here in SA that are achieving close on 300 with radjets don't know how true that is,I'm still trying to source more info and actual proof of that.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:27 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,249 Posts
Here is the Flycat thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577982
and here's a pic I found on our clubs website of the Flycat.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l2UAldd3MH...0/P9161451.JPG
Last edited by chop stiX; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:47 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,903 Posts
Here's my Flycat on a fairly modest power set up as described in the video info. Max speed in the mid 70's
Haoye Flycat pusher jet (3 min 40 sec)

Max size 3s lipo was 1600 but only after removing lots of foam. I glassed the fuse from front to beyond the wing leading edge as well as installing carbon flats.
Nice plane but be aware that the elevator looses a lot of it's effect at low speed and it can tip stall unless you keep the speed up
If you are planning a scratch build why not have a look at the SNice-mitar -Scimitar Wing Clone http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1499635&pp=100.
Similar planform and very nice design
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:57 PM
United Kingdom, Leeds
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
OK, managed to grab some video this morning, only with a keychain cam so the quality is pretty grim, but could someone have a go at measuring the speed for me.

I'm even less convinced by my doppler app's readings now as this morning she was claiming 240's!!

So as I've thought for a while, my doppler app isn't up to the job, would be good to know what speed you lot think it's going, and maybe which app you are using?

Gareth.

PKJET (0 min 25 sec)
crashnstick is offline Find More Posts by crashnstick
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:01 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,318 Posts
Well ... she is fast ...

My readings give :

We can definitely discount the slow numbers ... the only other factor in question is the flight line is overhead ... I usually try to fly side to side in front so I get a longer run ... your run is shortened by the directional line.

But I think we can say you are definitely up in tthe top category !! I will even concede my 'Crown' to you !! Average of 208.8 + 239.9 = 224kph ..
Bet you enjoyed the adrenaline rush !!

The King is Dead - Long Live the King !

Again .. what set-up ?

Lipo ?
Motor ? kv + size
Prop ? make and size
ESC ?

Nigel
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:29 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
...........If you are planning a scratch build why not have a look at the SNice-mitar -Scimitar Wing Clone http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1499635&pp=100.
Similar planform and very nice design
Andy
This may just be the one !! Small 28" WS .. similar power plant .. similar layout ... but it's cheap enough to build in sheet foam ...

I've downloaded the PDF's .. and will see about the build ... maybe a few mods to bring it to closer PKJ design ...

I will post up what I do .. I have the original PKJ to work from in comparison ...

About the Flycat .. not first time I heard it's cramped for battery. So that's a point against it.

There's another possible - the Skyangel Screamer ... it's an EDF but available in frame only form from HobbyB...

http://www.hobbyb.com/2012-new-skyan...html?cPath=121

Our pusher power plants on the tail end instead of the EDF ... bet she'd get some speed on ... and $24.90 + shipping ...

Nigel
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:16 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Well ... she is fast ...

My readings give :

We can definitely discount the slow numbers ... the only other factor in question is the flight line is overhead ... I usually try to fly side to side in front so I get a longer run ... your run is shortened by the directional line.

But I think we can say you are definitely up in tthe top category !! I will even concede my 'Crown' to you !! Average of 208.8 + 239.9 = 224kph ..
Bet you enjoyed the adrenaline rush !!

The King is Dead - Long Live the King !

Again .. what set-up ?

Lipo ?
Motor ? kv + size
Prop ? make and size
ESC ?

Nigel
I'm not all up with how these doppler things work exactly, but does it take into account (from the video) the pilot sounds like he's backing off the throttle shortly after the pass, reducing the apparent frequency, which may skew the results... ? (i thought 2 seconds before and after passing the recording device was required for measurement)
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:18 PM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,249 Posts
Holy banannas that is fast M_ark
so we have a new champ.not for long though
I have a sneaky suspicion that Nigel's twin is going to rock he socks off the sky and the doppler.Damn this just gives me motivation to get PJ 2 done
that Screammer looks super cool i think that's the perfect replacement.I'll certainly keep that in mind.Maybe we should start a speed freaks thread,so we can get more interest and see what other guys are flying and getting in their quest to speed.
Still awaiting confirmation of the so called 300km/h radjet setup
not a pusher though,but this might be a candidate aswell to the quest for speed madness(bit pricey)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Blue_ARF_.html
Last edited by chop stiX; Jan 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:41 AM
Note to self, put on pants.
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
This is also an option.
http://www.skyartec.com/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=1874
Not sure whether its EPO or EPS though.
Jamie
Jayman72 is offline Find More Posts by Jayman72
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:29 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,903 Posts
It looks the same as the larger Jamara Roo http://www.gliders.uk.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JAM007090 minus the Roo decals. Out of the same factory as the Mini Skyfun I reckon.
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:46 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
Jamroo - Technical data:

Width: aprox. 875 mm
Length: aprox. 700 mm
Weight: aprox. 500 - 550 g
RC: 3 channel, 2 servos

MINI Skyfun KIT.
SPECIFICATION:
Length: 415mm
Wingspan: 550mm

Sky fun Specification: (Hobbyking/Artech)
Dimension: 700mmX875mmX170mm
Wingspan: 875mm
Length:700mm
Height::170mm
Motor: 2627-2500KV
ESC:25A

Hobbyking Parkjet Specification:
Wing Span: 600mm
Length: 490mm

So far as we can tell, all are EPS foam. The HK 'mini' kit was the only one in EPS.
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark