Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:01 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
need more info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
I tried plugging each aileron servo directly into rx one at a time as suggested. When I do that the servos do work for the first time. However the rattling/buzzing continues and varies whenever I engage rudder or elevator servos.

Bob
Could you elaborate on the above. I am not understanding what you are describing.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:25 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
ok.. SS almost erady.. stuck and thinking how to attach the wings..
hooks and rubber bands.. or glue everything on and go fly???
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:28 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
812 Posts
Adding to the confusion....Bob...if your transmitter is too close to the receiver, sometimes this will cause erratic behavior. Make sure your transmitter is across the room when you do the testing....just a thought....
Brner is offline Find More Posts by Brner
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:29 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
ok.. SS almost erady.. stuck and thinking how to attach the wings..
hooks and rubber bands.. or glue everything on and go fly???
If you don't need to worry about storage or transporting an assembled plane then glue the wings on.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:57 PM
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Could you elaborate on the above. I am not understanding what you are describing.
AJ
When I have the y-cable connected to the receiver and the aileron servo leads attached to the y-cable the aileron servos never actuat. When I remove the y-cable completely and attach either aileron servo lead directly to the receiver the aileron servo that is hooked to the receiver will work ok.

The "rattle" sound is pretty constant--sort of like a hollow-sounding card-in-the-bicycle-spokes kind of sound as soon i turn the tx on but still not moving either joystick. When I move the elevator stick the sound does not change but moving the rudder stick makes the sound erratic/irregular and the servo arm kind of bounces when I let go of the jostick. I think just the rudder servo is bad.

I will have to order a new y-cable and a new servo since the nearest hobby shop I know of is in Des Moines about 2-1/2 hrs away.

When I order the parts will I need new control wires,connectors, clevises or other components? It looks like I may have to tear a hole in the side of the fuselage to replace the bad servo

It's a good thing I have the components for a scratch build coming since its taken 6 weeks from my order date to get this far.

Thanks to all of you experts for getting me to the point where i'm confident of the cause of my problems. When I woke up this morning after my 2 hrs of sleep I was ready to offer someone a really good deal on my Sky Surfer's remains

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:12 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
I will have to order a new y-cable and a new servo since the nearest hobby shop I know of is in Des Moines about 2-1/2 hrs away.
It does appear to me the y-cable is bad. You might get a second opinion from one of the more experienced RC doctors.

If you know other RC flyers you might borrow a cable from one of them, or from another plane if you have one.

It does sound like you have a bad servo. Maybe if you exercise it for a few minutes it will heal itself. If not, you might be able to remove the bad servo by dripping hot water around the servo mount (if it is mounted with hot glue) or using a hobby knife to cut the glue loose. Not having that plane (yet) I am not sure how to proceed. Replacing servos is not anything new around here, someone clever will figure it out.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:14 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,240 Posts
Quote:
When I have the y-cable connected to the receiver and the aileron servo leads attached to the y-cable the aileron servos never actuat. When I remove the y-cable completely and attach either aileron servo lead directly to the receiver the aileron servo that is hooked to the receiver will work ok.

The "rattle" sound is pretty constant--sort of like a hollow-sounding card-in-the-bicycle-spokes kind of sound as soon i turn the tx on but still not moving either joystick. When I move the elevator stick the sound does not change but moving the rudder stick makes the sound erratic/irregular and the servo arm kind of bounces when I let go of the jostick. I think just the rudder servo is bad.

When I order the parts will I need new control wires,connectors, clevises or other components? It looks like I may have to tear a hole in the side of the fuselage to replace the bad servo

It's a good thing I have the components for a scratch build coming since its taken 6 weeks from my order date to get this far.

Thanks to all of you experts for getting me to the point where i'm confident of the cause of my problems. When I woke up this morning after my 2 hrs of sleep I was ready to offer someone a really good deal on my Sky Surfer's remains

Bob
Bob,

Let me introduce you to Headsuprc.com. They have prompt and reasonable shipping ($2 for one item or 100) except for airplanes. Jeff is a Wisconsin resident to move to Florida and he offers what you need a reasonable price.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:21 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
ok desided to go the removable main wings way...
now .. I find it convinient to use extension leads and have the plugs of the main wings from the receiveer to the side of the plane for the ailerons to plug into..

Now I need the best-easiest way to make the wingsstay put while I do some rough flying..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:25 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
By all means Bob, stick this one out and get it figured out.

But..... Let me make a suggestion if you are just getting into this hobby.

Don't ever go with RTF's unless they are big brand names with brand name gear.

Get a 2.4 Transmitter (Hi-Tec, Futaba, Spektrum) and be done with the crap that comes with these planes. Also, I would never go with off brand ESC's unless you know a lot about them and they hold up well. Bad ESC's wreck planes.

There are cheap servos that are good (HXT 900's, HS-55's) and there are cheap servos that are trash. Again, don't use unknown servos, they too crash planes.

Point being, if your plane goes down, let it be because of pilot error. Forget the mess of cheap, unkown gear.

Cheap unknown foam planes on the other hand are a gold mine.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:44 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
By all means Bob, stick this one out and get it figured out.
Correct. What you learn from this ordeal will make you much more knowledgeable of the hobby and independent of others. You had the particularly bad luck of getting two problems with your product, but you appear to have figured out what to do.

Get AJ or someone to confirm the y-cable diagnosis and servo issues before spending a bunch of money. We can get you a list of on-line hobby shops, HeadsUpRc included, if you wish.

Hang in there. This is an addictive hobby, but worth it.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:50 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:

Bob
I'll give you $13.27 for it
Check this place out for stuff. Good prices, 2 buck shipping and you will have it in 3-4 days.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ess/Categories

Thes servos cost a bit more but are less susceptible to stray RF noise. (less chance of chatter)
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...sh---8g/Detail

Some don't care for this servo. I have a few and they work fine for me.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...sh---9g/Detail

Considering your servos are internal and you need to split the fuse to access them you may want to consider metal gear servos. This way the chance of stripping a gear is almost impossible especially if you like to land hard and fast like aj. I have 2 of these in one of my EZs though noise suppression isn't that great, comparable to the SG90.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-14g-TP/Detail

Stay away from the SG90E for 3.95. They are probably worse quality then you have now.

Your fuse is probaly held together with double sided tape. I don't have the new RTF version but it's common with China planes. You can slice the seam with a sharp exacto knife to gain access.

ps, I have a few y cables laying around and if you want leave me a pm and I'll shoot one out to you if you'd like to try that first.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Last edited by 2500GENE; Nov 13, 2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:05 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Just the ailerons left now. We are going to get this dude fixed.

Quote:
When I have the y-cable connected to the receiver and the aileron servo leads attached to the y-cable the aileron servos never actuate. When I remove the y-cable completely and attach either aileron servo lead directly to the receiver the aileron servo that is hooked to the receiver will work ok

Bob
Ok. We are just about done. Here is the problem -> Remember how I pointed out that ALL your servos were plugged in backwards? Well, both of your aileron servos are plugged in backwards now. Disconnect the servos at the servo end and turn the plugs around. [See note below first] If not, get that "Y" cable from 2500GENE. That is the only other possibility. Still, though, it almost has to be the servos plugged in backwards because I have never ever seen a bad "Y" cable in the last 30 years (other than the ones that I broke for whatever reason). So, it is hard for me to believe that you are the first person that I have ever heard of that got a bad "Y" cable on a brand new plane. But, it IS possible, for sure. Let me know. If you want a quickee workaround, just reverse the single aileron plug at the receiver end after disconnecting the battery. Then, turn on the transmitter (if it isn't on already) - hook up the battery to the ESC and give it a try. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one.
AJ
Oops. One other thing just to make sure there is not a short in one of the servos. Please disconnect BOTH aileron servos from the "Y" plug. Now, reverse the plug on just ONE of them and plug IT into the "Y" cable. The other side of the "Y" cable should have nothing plugged into it at this time.
Last edited by ajbaker; Nov 13, 2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:06 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,287 Posts
Quote:

Bob
Hey Bob, to check your Y cable, just take a multimeter and buzz out all the wires end to end. If you get a buzz on each wire, then your Y cable isn't the issue. If you don't, then you definitely have a continuity issue on one of the wires.

I live 2-1/2 hours from Des Moines too, but probably not the same direction as you. But, if you are close to the Omaha area, give me a shout and maybe I can help you out in person.

KMan
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:21 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Person to Person help maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
I live 2-1/2 hours from Des Moines too, but probably not the same direction as you. But, if you are close to the Omaha area, give me a shout and maybe I can help you out in person.

KMan
That is exceedingly generous of you. You are really a good guy for making that offer. Thanks from me, too.
AJ
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:30 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Just got back from my maiden with the Sky Surfer.

Great flyer, just like I remember the first time I flew one.

It was surprisingly a tad tail heavy even with the 3S 2200 all the way at the nose.

I ended up getting those rubber bands on the wing with out a dowel rigged through the fuse. Boy was that a lot of fun.

Add that to my to do list of mods....
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123