HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by turbored21, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:55 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,961 Posts
Looks good to me! Some of my first tubes were heavy paper stock. The good thing about a cup like that is it will handle water so if you land and the grass has dew on it it does not mess up the paper.

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:34 AM
Once-ler
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Got my Extreme and Alfa clone last night

Don,

Don't know if this is posted somewhere, but I had to remove the lip at the back of the shroud to make the motor fit in with the wires. I am installing the 5400kv w 5 blade alfa in the HL F-16. I went with the ring on and am going to mount at stock location for the stock 64mm fan. Had to use some fine sand paper to get the fan in shape.

For those reading, I would recommend that if you buy the high kv stuff, let the pro mount and balance. The $20 that you spend is the cost of a new fan if it implodes on first full throttle run.
jmrust is offline Find More Posts by jmrust
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:38 AM
Once-ler
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
There is also the cone making program that's freeware. Buy some thin stiff plastic put in the length, opening and exit, convert to pdf, print and cut out and bam! Here is the link for the program. I have used it and it's great.
http://www.pulserate.com/

This is for after all the math has been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
Hey everybody I've been looking around for someways to make a thrust tube for my T45 to see if i could get any performance increase. After looking around on rcgroups and some videos i found a great idea make it out of a paper cup. So I did I got one from subway, first i was just going to cut it the right size fan not really worrying about the exit diameter. Then I did some research on thrust tubs and found a hole bunch of info on FSA and the percentages that it needs to be for making and effective thrust tube. On my research hunt for thrust tubes i did find most of the info needed but it wasnt all in one place so I decided to make a video. The video is over how to find your fsa and the right percentage it needs to be also on me installing it into my Sapac T45.

I'm about 90% sure that all the info and math in the video is right, but if im wrong can someone please tell me and I will fix it. Don't want to tell someone the wrong thing.

well enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcY1ijoZvYU

j3tman,
jmrust is offline Find More Posts by jmrust
Last edited by jmrust; Jul 07, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 09:57 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,961 Posts
Yes the lip does need to be removed. I have a step by step here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1072853

For the Wicked EDF unit you want a 1.8" exit diameter.

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:46 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Got the flight in with the thrust tube installed in my T45, just be amazed

Rc edf jet Sapac T45 thrust tube test: Speed passes (3 min 12 sec)

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,230 Posts
J3tman,

What's the specs on you T45 and power setup??? She looks sweet.
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:43 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
The setup is Dons wicked 4800kv motor 40amp esc gws 64mm 6blade fan running on a 11.1 2200mah 20c battery.

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:55 AM
Minister of R/C
Fort Washington, MD
Joined Sep 2006
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrust View Post
There is also the cone making program that's freeware. Buy some thin stiff plastic put in the length, opening and exit, convert to pdf, print and cut out and bam! Here is the link for the program. I have used it and it's great.
http://www.pulserate.com/

This is for after all the math has been done.
Wow this program is awesome. It's just what I needed. I was wondering where to round the top and bottom of thrust tube so the entry and exit are parallel. Thanks for posting.
HeliTB is offline Find More Posts by HeliTB
Old Aug 24, 2013, 03:54 AM
Joined Aug 2013
40 Posts
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but it came up as I was researching EDFs.

There seems to be a lot of talk about determing FSA of a motor. I've never bought one but for a factory EDF motor, shouldn't the FSA be pre-calculated and included as a specification by the manufacturer?

Or you referring to producing a custom EDF with select components? Is that even possible?

Cheers,

Jim
JimFromAus is offline Find More Posts by JimFromAus