HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2003, 04:33 PM
Flight Instructor
Aptos, CA
Joined Jan 2003
84 Posts
Best Wind Forcasts/Reports on the Net?

I've been looking on the internet for wind forcasts and not finding much, they mostly focus on precipitation and temp. Have any of you found any sites that have good wind speed and direction information?
DoonRaker is offline Find More Posts by DoonRaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2003, 05:30 PM
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
I use Weatherbug for realtime wind conditions. DL the app input you zip code, and pick a location near you/your slope.
McGrrr is offline Find More Posts by McGrrr
Old Jan 06, 2003, 05:34 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
There is the ever-popular 'Wind Cast' by Intellicast

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USL...&prodnav=d1_00
dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns
Old Jan 06, 2003, 07:09 PM
Flight Instructor
Aptos, CA
Joined Jan 2003
84 Posts
WeatherBug - The live wind data is sweet! The live data comes from a location really close to where I slope, very cool. It lacks heavily in the wind forecasting department though. The wind forecast data is generalized info for the entire SF bay area, but I live in the Monterey Bay area, not sure why that is.

WindCast (by Intellicast) - Live wind data is not as cool as WeatherBug's, but decent. It has a wind forecast for two days out like most other weather sites I've found, but you have to learn to read those pressure system maps for any kind of a 5-day forecast.

So still searching for a decent wind forecast that is greater than 2 days out.
Old Jan 06, 2003, 09:27 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,912 Posts
Oh.. you want local wind forcasts for more than 2 days out? Forget it. The forecasters are happy if they give you a reasonably detailed idea of what the weather's going to be doing 24 hours from now from a local perspective, and otherwise general regional idea 2 or more days away. The major models they work with usually start to diverge about that far out.

If you want some idea of how they make their decisions, check out the technical discussions at wunderground.com..
Here's the one for SF.
http://www.wunderground.com/DisplayD...=San_Francisco Sometimes they have decent info about the wind.

I also really like wunderground's forecast graphs which are for 2 days. (also for SF)
http://www.wunderground.com/MOS/Disp...o&StateCode=CA

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2003, 09:42 PM
Flight Instructor
Aptos, CA
Joined Jan 2003
84 Posts
Yeah, that is what I figured, but I had hope. Well, I am really happy with the WeatherBug app. They push a lot of advertising in your face, but if that doesn't bother you it has a cool real-time wind data display that I fell in love with right away.
Old Jan 06, 2003, 09:56 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,879 Posts
If your willing to pay...

This is a detailed site.
http://www.iwindsurf.com/
Jay.
AirBornOne is online now Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Jan 07, 2003, 12:32 PM
El Queso Grande
Rippin in Hood River, OR, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
As a windsurfer who used to live in the Bay area, no-one, and I MEAN no-one, is better at wind than Iwindsurf.com. Not only do they have some of the best forecasts you'll find, they also have real-time wind at more spots. I used to have a pager to tell me where the wind was blowing and by how much. Hourly updates if I needed.
windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by windsurfer
Old Jan 07, 2003, 01:14 PM
Flight Instructor
Aptos, CA
Joined Jan 2003
84 Posts
Paying for wind data is a bit extreme for me. I spend enough money on this hobby already, at least that is what my wife says, hehehe... Maybe I was just lucky, but the WeatherBug app has stations delivering live data within 5 miles of each of my flying sites, not too bad.