SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2005, 01:12 AM
I'm Charged!
The end of the Oregon trail
Joined Jan 2001
1,035 Posts
Do higher gas prices encourage you to fly at home?

Just curious how close (or far) most e-zoners are from there primary flying site, and weather any of you are flying more parkflyer type models and or micro heli's ect at home due to rising fuel costs? I find myself driving less often to the local field, and am doing much more "park" flying in the street in front of the house.(mostly 3D foamies and Blade heli)

Less money spent at the pump= more money to spend on R/C goodies.

Jeff
megawatt is offline Find More Posts by megawatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2005, 01:19 AM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I run into the high gas price problem a lot, I'm about 7 miles from my club field, and the gas millage on my Jeep stinks, but it don't cost me nothin to take my little park flyers out on the front yard
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Sep 02, 2005, 01:20 AM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,144 Posts
I have a park about 2 blocks from me that I can fly my mini Funtana and foamys in...
A couple buddys and I also fly in another park about 4 mi. from me, but in my friends neighborhood...

Our club field is about 15 mi. from me, and I am not going out there any where near as much lately...
I used to go out there 2-3 times a week last year, and earlier this year.

Can't fly my noisy "slimers" at the park though
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Old Sep 02, 2005, 05:06 AM
RTF
Burnley, Lancs UK
Joined Jun 2005
57 Posts
I'm sure you Americans complain about gas prices to wind us English up lol. (deisel is up to $8 a gallon across our side of the pond)

Never really thought about the petrol cost when I go to the "local" field (about 5 miles away) it's only the same as a trip to the supermarket. I do have a more local smaller field but seen as i am still learning I prefer a bit more space. Not to mention you could lose whole models in the long grass. I see petrol increases as a general life problem rather than a rc modelling problem.

I am scouting around for new flying sites as the field is now being taken over by football (soccer) players most evenings.
fenix is offline Find More Posts by fenix
Old Sep 02, 2005, 05:44 AM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,133 Posts
My club site is 2 miles away..........no problem.
But I have a nice park just 3-4 mins walk away.
However now that the football season has started the turf gets abused (unlike the smooth cricket pitch) and is less flying friendly.

High gas prices is just another way of life.......we have to live with it.

Ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Old Sep 02, 2005, 06:23 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,456 Posts
I'm in between two club fields, and each is about 20km from my house. I'll still go there to fly, but I cancelled my plans to go to an electric Fun Fly in Toronto this weekend, 150km away.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Sep 02, 2005, 06:27 AM
West Yorks UK
Joined Aug 2005
36 Posts
Nope, my local slope is less than two miles away, the next approx 6 miles away and the Local Official Club site probably less than four miles away.

My biggest expense is travelling to and from work currently to cost of a Gallon ( English 8 pints or 4.54 Ltr's) is $7.57 a Gallon

You can start moaning when you have to as much as we do in Europe
Bin'd~It is offline Find More Posts by Bin'd~It
Old Sep 02, 2005, 06:50 AM
No substitue for watts!
Lancing, West Sussex, England
Joined Oct 2003
391 Posts
As I get an average of 32 MPG out of my Rover Tourer, I can get 4 round-trips to my local club field out of a gallon of petrol So, no, fuel prices (even at U.K. extortionate prices) aren't a factor yet.

In the summer, The club is allowed to 'play' on the local airport, when it closes at 8pm - and that is even closer (about 10 round trips)!

Tom
Tom Gaskin is offline Find More Posts by Tom Gaskin
Old Sep 02, 2005, 07:19 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
yes, definitely.

I live 30 meters from a nice big pair of fields, one of which is not going to be growing crops next year, a mile from the nearest shop which is close to the village play area, and 12 miles from the nearest club site.

We even think twice about going in to town to the supermarket: Its cheaper to order online and get it delivered from there.

At 50p a mile etsimated total costs (fuel, maintenance, etc etc) 24 miles round trip costs me 12...two trips like that saved and I can buy a new LIPO pack.

I paid just over 60 to tank up the big car a few days a go - thats $100 roughly.

Enough for 350 miles.

The days when I just jumped in the car and never counted the cost are long gone.

Energy costs are, with food, the major part of my expenditures.

I went down to London to pick up an elderly freind of the family. Round trip took all day and probably cost about $100 in real terms, or nearly a weeks food for two. Or about two weeks of heating oil and electricity. Or a new pair of shoes.

Or that new LIPO pack I am saving up for
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 02, 2005, 08:00 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jun 2004
191 Posts
the ugly toyota prius is the answer lol
silentfly is offline Find More Posts by silentfly
Old Sep 02, 2005, 08:37 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
I paid $3.05 in Oklahoma yesterday. Im on my way to a really big flying field (Fort Rucker, Alabama) and pulling my trailer has me at 7mpg. But, I can fly here in the Hotel parking lot! So all is not lost.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Sep 02, 2005, 09:52 AM
The long way around
Marietta, SC
Joined Mar 2005
205 Posts
The places I generally fly are rather close to home & I can fly in the backyard but it's a bit scary because if the plane comes down in that area, most likely it'll never been seen again (thick dense woods with 100+ ft tall trees).

Fortunately, the places I prefer to fly are between home & the office so I can stop on the way, so gas prices don't affect my chance to be at the field.

Unfortunately, it's still a 50 mile commute each way.
thebackroads is offline Find More Posts by thebackroads
Old Sep 02, 2005, 10:21 AM
USA, TX, Lewisville
Joined Nov 2004
375 Posts
I guess it's what you are used to.

I am originally from UK but have lived in Scandinavia (3yrs) (had a push bike - cars too expensive) and now Dallas, TX (5 yrs)
Three or four years ago gas/petrol was $0.99 for 3.8l (1 us gal) now it is basically $3 and rising about 10c per day. Taxes on gas here is much less than the 75% or so in UK so it varies more here.

Distances are longer, people have to travel further for work so it has a larger impact. Most places you can't walk to the local corner shop or Davidsons (beer shop) you have to drive.

Still, when you think that it's a non renewable resource and the supply is finite it's still a good price.

Bottled water is renewable and infinite and that costs a damm site more than gas. That doesn't help people who can't afford the gas but maybe public transport will start increasing here.

I am going to the LHS and then the field today and also possibly tomorrow. I don't get to fly too much with a 17month old and work so when ever I get the chance I go for it! The parks have too many light poles and trees!
lehma is offline Find More Posts by lehma
Old Sep 02, 2005, 10:27 AM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Yup, the two fields I like to frequent are 15 and 20 miles away. I used to take my Big Van, very nice as everthing fits nicely, but I can expect only 15 or so mpg, so the round trip now costs me about $9. Just way too much.
Unfortunately, the parks close enough to me are'nt big enough for any of my bigger planes, and gassers are'nt allowed at all. They're a small parkflyer only zone.
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Sep 02, 2005, 10:34 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix
I'm sure you Americans complain about gas prices to wind us English up lol. (deisel is up to $8 a gallon across our side of the pond)
I find it interesting that only 4 of the previous 12 posts are from the United States. I keep seeing statements from British folks who say they don't understand why Americans are in an uproar. I read these statements on the internet and in the newspaper.

About a year and a half ago, a gallon of gasoline cost about $1.50 in the USA. Six months before that, it was roughly $1.25. Two years before that, it was about $1.00. Today, the price of a gallon of gasoline is $3.20. Where I live, the price of gas went up:
$0.20 last night (Thursday night)
$0.10 Wednesday night
$0.10 Tuesday night
$0.10 Monday night
What other parts of the world don't seem to understand is the RATE of escalation of gas prices that Americans are concerned about. There does not seem to be an end in sight, and it is very difficult to adjust our budgets
to the rapidly climbing gas prices.

Has the rest of the world seen similar gasoline price increases? Americans are told the rising gas prices are due to the Chinese beginning to drive cars and competing for oil. Americans are told the latest gas spike (see above) is due to Hurricane Katrina shutting down oil pipelines and refineries in the Gulf of Mexico (just off shore from the massive devistation in New Orleans).

Maybe I'm wrong -- maybe the rest of the world sees these inflating gas prices too. Yet, when I hear the British tell me to suck it up and smile, I don't take it very well.

To answer the original question... I fly at work 90% of the time. I fly at a small field by my house (or at the school by my house) the other 10% of the time. Even if I had to drive to the school (0.5 miles) or to the office (3.4 miles) to fly, it's not that far and I'm still willing to do it -- at this point!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61