SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,346 Posts
Discussion
Question on FrSky Precision Vario, X8R and Taranis

I have a glider now rigged with the FrSky Precision Vario hooked into the Smart Port X8R and Taranis transmitter.
Works great. I took a 3 position switch set it in the up position to give me vario beeps, middle position nothing and lower position speaks altitude every 20 seconds.

BUT, Here is my question. When ever I initially turn on the receiver, I get a reading of about 70-80'. It never starts at 0.

Is this normal behavior? Is there something I am missing or haven't set up correctly.

Thanks for any help.

Terry
Chuchuf is online now Find More Posts by Chuchuf
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2013, 03:31 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,354 Posts
I think there are settings like ALT and ALT+. One of them is absolute, the other starts at zero.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 13, 2013, 07:46 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,346 Posts
Thanks Julez.
according to the Open TX manual
"Variometer source: sensor type that is installed in your model. "Alti" is for the old FrSky altitude sensor, "Alti+" is for 3rd-party altitude sensors with higher resolution"

But I can easily change what I have, Alt, to Alt+ and see what it does.

I was under the impression that Alt+ was the max altitude gained and Alt- was the min altitude gained and they were absolute values. Maybe not.

Thanks for the suggestion
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:57 AM
Joined Jul 2005
2 Posts
voice on telemetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf View Post
I have a glider now rigged with the FrSky Precision Vario hooked into the Smart Port X8R and Taranis transmitter.
Works great. I took a 3 position switch set it in the up position to give me vario beeps, middle position nothing and lower position speaks altitude every 20 seconds.

BUT, Here is my question. When ever I initially turn on the receiver, I get a reading of about 70-80'. It never starts at 0.

Is this normal behavior? Is there something I am missing or haven't set up correctly.

Thanks for any help.

Terry
Hi
How did you get voice on altitude
Regards
bazit is offline Find More Posts by bazit
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,346 Posts
With the Taranis it's pretty easy
I set mine up on switch SC so that when it was down it reports altitude every 15 sec and when you first hit the switch, when the switch is in the up position it plays the vario tones, and middle position it's off.

Go into Custom Functions and it's set up like this
CF1 SC(up arrow) Vario
CF2 SC(down arrow) Play Value Alt 15 (or what ever time interval you want)

I understand that you can do a lot more with Altitude like have it play whenever there is a change in altitude by some predetermined amount, say 100 feet but I haven't tried that yet.

Terry
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:35 PM
Joined Jul 2005
2 Posts
Altimeter

Terry
Thanks for that I now have vario and altimeter voce .
One more question how can I get a terrain warning when model is down to 50 feet (just for fun)
Regards
Bary
bazit is offline Find More Posts by bazit
Old Aug 03, 2014, 03:17 PM
Belgium, Flanders, Lochristi
Joined Aug 2013
27 Posts
So, is it possible to get a 0 altitude when you power on? I always start with a reading of 42 for example...
JenR is offline Find More Posts by JenR
Old Aug 03, 2014, 07:24 PM
United States, IA, Armstrong
Joined Jan 2014
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenR View Post
So, is it possible to get a 0 altitude when you power on? I always start with a reading of 42 for example...
Yes. Hit reset it will go to 0.
Cyjonz is online now Find More Posts by Cyjonz
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:25 PM
Pasco Tri Cities, Washington, United States
Joined Aug 2004
326 Posts
How did you do that?

Chuchuf, How did you accomplish the setup you talked about in frame #1? I have put the HP vario in my Radian, plugged into the X4R receiver, and am looking to get vario tones. Your approach for tones, off, and altitude statements would be great, if I know how to do that. I think I can get the altitude statements, but that's not much valve when trying to find thermals. Any help would be appreciated.

Larry Fitch
LRFitch is offline Find More Posts by LRFitch
Old Sep 08, 2014, 10:52 PM
Joined Aug 2014
2 Posts
Where do I find the "reset button"?
DrBonesLCD is offline Find More Posts by DrBonesLCD
Old Sep 09, 2014, 10:05 AM
Mike
Belgium
Joined May 2014
223 Posts
On a telemetry page, long press enter, then "reset telemetry".
Otherwise, long press enter, then "reset", then "reset telemetry".
on4mj is offline Find More Posts by on4mj