RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,340 Posts
Discussion
2013 US F3J Team Selection Event LiveStream

Here is the link to view the archived files:
https://new.livestream.com/accounts/...events/2336311

I am starting this thread to start a discussion about broadcasting the Team Selects event via the internet from Aug 31- Sept 2.

I did one here back in Feb and have learned a few things that I am implementing for this one.

The biggest thing to change this time is the amount of equipment I'll have to haul along. Specifically an encoder/transmitter the size of a pack of cigarettes. This encoder I am using is a Teradek Cube 250 which is wifi enabled and it is powerful enough to replace an 8 core i7 computer.

It boils down to:
* Video source - Canon 5d2
* Encoder/transmitter - Cube 250
* Wifi access point - Verizon Mifi4620
* Power supply - Few packs of 3-4s RC Lipos wired parallel to the Cube enables "hot swapping" of packs if needed.

Because the Teradek unit replaces my laptop but uses just 3-4w of power, I won't need to bring a/c inverters and 12v batteries to the field. This allows a very mobile platform.

I'll be using Livestream again for the delivery and hosting service and for those that are not familiar, you will need to signup to watch.

This platform allows very high quality HD transmission, provided the broadband upload speed is available at the site.

This brings me to the idea of asking the community for donations to go towards just the broadband costs.

I could probably seek sponsors, and imbed their logo/products into the broadcast, but prefer not to do that as an individual.

Anyway, since broadband costs are dependent on usage which is dependent on location, it's hard to budget for. I am using Verizon and they allow 10g for $80 with each additional gb at $10.

Depending on transmission quality over 3 days we could be $100-$300.
I am shooting for 720HD but if people really want 1080 and ware willing to chip in some for the bb costs, I'd certainly do it in full 1080.
Again, this would depend on signal quality at the field.

There are a few generous fellow enthusiasts who have committed already and at the end of the broadcast I'll post up the actual bandwidth costs and split it up in an equitable way amongst all donations.

The main reason why I am doing this is to show that there is perhaps enough interest in live video coverage at these events that the service would become self sufficient. Time will tell.
Thanks!
tuan
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; Sep 03, 2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Add headcam link
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2013, 11:18 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,275 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do this for those of us that can't get the time off to be at the event but would still like to "be there." I think it is a great thing so I'm in for $50.00 to get things started.

I hope that someone steps up to the plate and is willing to film the event instead of just a camera on a tri-pod which really does not do the event any justice. In an ideal world a commentator with a few pilot interviews would be huge.

Tuan, can you also have the days events archived so we could watch events at a time other than the "live" broadcast? That is also such a bonus.

I realize that you are flying the event and your obligations to your team are first priority. I hope for the good of F3J events (participation) that someone would volunteer to help with this effort. Wish I could do more to help. Thanks again for all you do! It is much appreciated.
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Aug 07, 2013, 02:48 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do this for those of us that can't get the time off to be at the event but would still like to "be there." I think it is a great thing so I'm in for $50.00 to get things started.

I hope that someone steps up to the plate and is willing to film the event instead of just a camera on a tri-pod which really does not do the event any justice. In an ideal world a commentator with a few pilot interviews would be huge.

Tuan, can you also have the days events archived so we could watch events at a time other than the "live" broadcast? That is also such a bonus.

I realize that you are flying the event and your obligations to your team are first priority. I hope for the good of F3J events (participation) that someone would volunteer to help with this effort. Wish I could do more to help. Thanks again for all you do! It is much appreciated.
Wow, that's a lot of bandwidth right there! I got a few other ideas as well, one of which is asking people with ATT to piggy back off their network.

Doing this, I can have multiple cameras and multiple streams, so at home viewers can click on the "channel" they want to watch... i.e. 5 camera setup each in north, west, south, east view of the sky/field with one mobile, etc.

I'll try to get someone to man the mobile camera. If not, we'll have to hit the Soar Chicago club for a commentator/cameraman.

Worst case is the camera will be on a panning tripod, but will be moved around along the flight line. I too hope this won't happen, but I always have worst case scenarios.

As far as archiving, yes, Livestream will archive all videos (up to 10g) for 30 days and I will allow everyone to download any of them as s/he pleases.
Keep in mind that due to the nature of the live feed, this should be rated pg... maybe even pg-13 .
Old Aug 07, 2013, 04:33 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,275 Posts
I think that multiply channels is a great idea. Letting viewers be their own director so to speak. I really hope that the mobile unit can be utilized. The following that the F3B worlds is getting thru livestreaming attests to the interest that the pilots/public have in this sort of broadcasting. With the photography in the F3B in Germany, when the camera is able to follow the action (sailplanes) it really gives dimension to the proceedings. Being able to watch a plane come off launch and fly all the way thru a task is fantastic. The zooming in on the sailplanes during landing in this F3J event would be so much more exciting than a stationary camera on a tripod. (Obviously)

I think it would really boost interest in future F3J events if people who have never had the chance to witness MOM mass launch were able to see for themselves how exciting of a thing it really is. Also having had the opportunity to stand behind some of the teams in the F3J in the desert in AZ this last Feb. and listen to the likes of Daryl, Skip, Mike and others talk about strategies and what they were reading in the current air conditions was a opportunity I wish more people had the chance to witness. If some of those pilots were "miked up" and people could hear them as they went thru a flight task, it would be great for the sport as a whole IMHO.

I know all this takes a huge amount of effort and time, don't get me wrong. I just think that it would give so many people an inside look at the wonderful world of F3J competitions that it would benefit everyone involved from pilots to vendors to the events themselves.

I know how much I enjoy watching anything I can related to sailplane competitions. Look how well Paul Naton's video's are received. ( By the way, What are you doing Paul, You'd be the perfect photographer/commentator??) I'm not saying it would be a huge business opportunity for someone but it sure would sell a few video's? Just a thought...

I appreciate what you are doing Tuan and I'm sure what ever you come up with will be fantastic. I just wanted to say thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 02:28 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,340 Posts
Thanks for the kind words IHAV.

I found a relative to go to the edge of the field (worst case scenario) to test the signal.

Anyhow, later today I should know what kind of feed we can do.

I'll update the first post to add the Livestream link after. Fingers crossed!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 09:23 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,340 Posts
Ok, so my sister volunteered to go to the field and did the speed test. However what I didn't realized was that her co issued phone is an Iphone 4s = 3g only .

She also has an Iphone 5 with 4g on ATT, but she states that ATT is no good out at the field as speeds were in the low .09mbps = unusable even for email .

However, with the Verizon 3G speedtest, she was able to get avg .92mbps upload.
If 4G coverage is as Verizon says, this should extrapolate to ~5mbps.

I won't know for sure until I get out there, but I have high hopes after these tests.
If it's a go, the link to watch will be here:
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/2...events/2288556

Note that it is not the same account from which the last stream was transmitted from so those who were following from my other account will not be notified automatically.
Last edited by fnnwizard; Aug 15, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 02:46 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,610 Posts
Tuan, if this is the same field where we flew the 2008 F3B team selects, I wouldn't hold out hope for 4G. It is way out there in the sticks. Lots of corn field for many miles and not much infrastructure. But it is a BEAUTIFUL grass flying field!

The coverage for the F3B WC was provided over satellite. I don't think you want to pay for THAT bandwidth. Explains why the feed was only up between 8am and 6pm local time.
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Aug 16, 2013, 04:06 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes View Post
Tuan, if this is the same field where we flew the 2008 F3B team selects, I wouldn't hold out hope for 4G. It is way out there in the sticks. Lots of corn field for many miles and not much infrastructure. But it is a BEAUTIFUL grass flying field!

The coverage for the F3B WC was provided over satellite. I don't think you want to pay for THAT bandwidth. Explains why the feed was only up between 8am and 6pm local time.
Yea, the field for the 08 f3b ts was in Yorkville at Helmar and even today has no VZ towers close enough.
When I found out that the current place we will be flying at has 2 towers ~2 miles away, it was a no brainier to try.

I think we will be fine for at least 1 feed at 720 hd. If not, then I have wasted a lot of time prepping and packing, not to mention extra baggage fees/shipping stuff there.

I wish I knew where my lanes will be before taking all the equip there because dealing with 2.4 wifi, 150ft can make a big difference when transmitting hd.

All my stuff is packed, but when I get to Chicago, I'll post a pic of my "hat cam" that I will be streaming from. Should make for some laughs.

Anyhow, right now I am looking at 2 simultaneous feeds into two Livestream accounts using one Mifi modems. One feed will be stationary down the launch/land area, the other one a dizzying, mobile head mounted cam.

So far I have not been able to secure a dedicated camera man.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 04:35 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes View Post

Well it's f3j so you only need to put the feed up for 10 seconds at the start of each round and 20 seconds at the end

(joke!).
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:06 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,340 Posts
This field is 4G Heaven!!!! Oh yeah!!!!
I did multiple test and got avg of >20mbps
On the jetpack I got 100%rssi. Which I never got before.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:14 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,340 Posts
Here's the headcam setup ...my family have lost all respect for me
I can livestream from this setup and it is completely mobile.

It's not a steadycam mount so the image will at times be very "shaky" but it will allow "up close and personal" . I need to somehow get the pros to wear this while flying!
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:47 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,275 Posts
yahoooo! Great news about the feed. Your making a fashion statement Tuan. Next year all the cool pilots will be wearing one....
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:51 AM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,354 Posts
Tuan

We will be the easiest team to find on the field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert Burson is online now Find More Posts by Robert Burson
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:27 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burson View Post
Tuan

We will be the easiest team to find on the field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not only that Robert, but you and Jason as well as your models will be the most seen pilot/planess there... assuming no one else volunteers to be super dork and wear the hat
Hint: that might be good opportunity to see if you can get some sponsorship.

In our bye rounds, Ill walk around to visit other teams as long as long as they don't mind.

Speaking of teams, my first priority at this event is to my team! The livestream will be a distant second! I hope fellow pilots will understand that.

Having said that, for those who pledge donations to the bandwidth, I'll pm my phone number to you all so you can text requests of what you want to specifically see on the head cam and I will try my best to oblige during our team's bye groups.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 03:32 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,340 Posts
Update:
I've been able to test the headcam setup and can get a pretty good 720 stream using 3.5Mbps bitrate. This translate to about 1.5GB of data per hour.

This stream will be at :
https://new.livestream.com/accounts/...events/2336311

Second cam will be fixed, streaming SD (standard video) @ 1.5Mbps (.66GB per hour). Since the second cam will also be hooked to the MiFi modem, depending on where I am on the field this cam may or may not work. I estimate 200 ft line of site for decent transmission from fixed cam setup to MiFi, but since 2.4g will be dominant at the field, the distance may be much less. However since it's <2Mbps we may be fine.

I probably will only leave the fixed cam on for short periods of time for a day or so as it's pretty boring and to conserve bandwidth since only a handful of modelers have committed to help fund the digital feed.

Fixed SD cam is here:
https://new.livestream.com/accounts/...events/2288556

Thursday, say around 10AM CT, I'll be able to have a short test at the actual site and would appreciate it if I can get some feedback from viewers on both of the video feeds.

Friday, as pilots come to practice, if I have time, I might be inclined to get some interviews/questions from the viewers' favorites.

I am excited to part of this and hope I can bring some of that excitement to at home pilots!