HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:25 PM
Joined Apr 2013
6 Posts
Discussion
newbie to petrol helis

hi can anyone please give advice i just got a haribo shuttle z with transmitter and nothing else what do i need to get it started ive got several electric helis but this is my first nitro any advice will be appreciated thanks
shadowolf2 is offline Find More Posts by shadowolf2
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:18 PM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
682 Posts
First you need to change the title. A Hirobo Shuttle is a nitro heli, not a petrol heli.

Then you will need as a minimum:
Glow driver
Starter
Starter wand
Battery for the starter/glow driver
Glow plug wrench (an 8mm socket wrench will do)
Fuel tubing
Fuel pump

From there you will need
pitch gauge
ball link pliers
a good set of metric hex screwdrivers

As you gain experience, you will start accumulating more specialized tools.

Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc
Old Apr 26, 2013, 03:40 PM
Joined Apr 2013
6 Posts
heli

thans for your advice just gone out and bought most of what you suggested from my local model shop now having trouble getting it started and fuel seems to be coming from some where dripping on floor any advice on these issues would be much appreciated thanks for your advice up to now
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:33 PM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
682 Posts
You might need to do one of two things:

1. Get advise from an experienced pilot to teach you how to properly adjust the carburetor's needles.
2. Download the manual for the specific engine you have and follow the directions.

Typically fuel dripping from an engine means that the mixture is too rich. Following the directions on the manual or listening to the experienced pilot (strongly suggested) is your best bet.

Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc
Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined Apr 2013
6 Posts
heli

thanks i will try both recommendations